It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear-bola more contagious than ebola

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yeah. More people are at risk and die from Influenza every year than have by Ebola. Yet you don't see the fear of Influenza like you do with this. Ebola, another government idea for a new vaccine to force on the people. You watch, it's coming.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think people fear the response of our experts more than the virus odds at this point.

No confidence in a possible spread will cause panic.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
While it's overkill, it's not really unfounded. Flu.. what chance do you really have of dying from it? Very low. Just so many folks get it, some die do to complications, usually very young or old. Ebola.. if you get it.. you have probably less than a 50% chance of living. Those stakes are much, much higher. So yea.. not surprising people are not willing to take on the "you have a 40% chance to live!" lottery.

I agree though.. much more worry than reason to be. But you have to consider:

"CDC": We will stop this in its tracks!
First Ebola case in the U.S.: two people infected on first case.

So yea.. no doubt that CDC hasn't exactly fostered confidence in their control of this virus.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

What people really fear is the society we live in. If Ebola really started spreading in America we would crumble apart. People have changed and not for the better. Events like Katrina and EBT card screw up are burned into peoples memories.

This is also the reason so many millions of people are prepping. Something is very sick with this society and it is not Ebola. A house of cards built on a sandy shore is what I see. Ebola,economic collapse,moral collapse,racial divides,political divides..................Are all on the incoming tide it seems.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I would disagree with the statement that the government was not culpable, and believe that the government was fully responsible in this. And here is how I cam to this conclusion:

The government is responsible for 2 reasons. The first is that this has been going on for a year, and the government has chosen to ignore it. The countries affected have been begging for help and resources. When it became apparent, the government chose not to send any help. When Doctors without Boarder’s, were begging for help, not a whisper or a hand rose to help. When the WHO was stating this is going to get worse, the government did nothing. They did not take notice until it was too late and the first case was in the USA.

The government, via the CDC, sets up the protocols for how to handle a level 4 contagion. The initial protocols were neither effective or kept the public safety in the first. Even the highest law of the law, mandates that the government is to keep the public safety, and welfare first and foremost.
Every time they state mandatory quarantine for all of those who have been at risk of exposure, there have been at least 4 breaking of said quarantines.

The government has failed in its contract with the public when it comes to the safety of the population, and as scary as it happens to be, the first thing is that they should have been a bit more, and I hate to state this, but a bit more draconic in its response to an outbreak like this. People should not have been brought back to the USA. There are resources that sit and are just rusting or doing nothing. The government could have easily used those resources to mobilize and set up on the coast of West Africa, transferring supplies and persons to where they could have gotten the necessary treatment along with assisting the local populations in the area.

The United States government, in fact no country outside of Africa, are prepared for any outbreak of a level 4 contagion, unless they have said outbreaks there on a regular basis. More and more countries are closing their boarders to these countries, to prevent the spread of said disease to their citizens. And while this will mitigate the spread to them, there needs to be equal response of sending supplies, resources and manpower to those countries affected to contain and stop this from getting worse.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This aint over. Mr. Duncan wont be last to bring Ebola here. In fact Terrorist might even bring it here on purpose and intentionally spread it. They could do a lot of damage before we even know what they are doing. If they will blow themselves up, they will certainly accept getting Ebola coming here and intentionally spread it. Imagine how fast an Ebola infected person could spread the disease working at a fast food drive through.

Out government has a LOT of work to do to get this contained far beyond the Duncan case.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

1)Africa has had outbreaks in the past and resolved the situation without the help of the USA. It's not our job to solve all the world's problems. We got involved when it was apparent this was going to be a bigger problem than in the past but there was no reason for us to step in and take over when it began. Sovereign rights of those countries needed to be preserved. We got involved when our assistance was requested.

2) Not one person who was brought back to the USA for treatment died. Not one was responsible for a single new case as a result of being brought here for treatment. Now a survivor Dr. Brantleys blood has been used to help others recover. The outcome of his being returned to the USA for treatment has been only positive. No virus escaped to infect even a single American. No bungled operation by the CDC. It went smooth as silk.

3) I think we've proved beyond a doubt that we can handle this disease here in this country.
Even when it's brought in by a foreign carrier who lies to skirt around the controls that are put in place by this country and others.

The Dallas situation was caused by that hospital not implementing protection and safety measures up to par with CDC recommendations. The two nurses infected as a result of Duncan's behavior and the inadequate safety measures of the hospital are in isolation now.
If there are additional cases in Ohio or Texas as a result of Amber Vinson that's on her shoulders. Our government didn't tell her to get on a plane and cross state lines while at risk for Ebola. The call she made was never to the CDC it was to her employer who told her mistakenly that it was ok to travel. So far thankfully there have not been any new cases due to her actions.

I stand by what I said. Our government is on top of this, they haven't bungled a thing and are not responsible for the Dallas situation.

One other point I'd like to make. You can't put a virus under house arrest. It's not subject to laws and if another person decides to come here because they are sick and believe they will get better treatment here there's not a single thing we can do about that.
edit on AM0000003100000010104329312014-10-21T09:29:08-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: rickymouse
Twenty one days off? If I was still working that would seem like a dream scenario. It would have been great to catch up on the projects around the house.

Oh wait, I forgot that I am supposed to be fearing this. That is pretty hard to do when you get a vacation from work like that.

I was wondering, if a person is quarantined how do they pay their bills? Is there some form of coverage I wonder.

In this case it's down to savings . Unless they get paid leave this is the rainy day they were saving for. (Hopefully anyway.)
This is also what policies like AFLAK are for. Supplemental income insurance when you're injured or sick and can't work.
There is also an insurance you can purchase from lenders that will pay credit card bills or loans for household goods or cars.
Someone somewhere has all that in place.
Me, I would need to practice the doggy paddle to keep my head above water LOL.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: johngrissom

This whole thread is laughable at itself.

Here is the issue. It is the people not thinking about the consequence of it getting to worse case scenario.
Never EVER in life should anyone prepare for the best case scenario! Why is that such a hard concept to handle? There is no fear about it; simple being prepared is not wrong and I also see no PH.D's in here saying other wise.

Most of you are keyboard warriors and nothing more who can't pick up a book to educate themselves.

Droplet Contact: coughing or sneezing on another person while infected. That is a very definition of airborne. Now, does it float around the air for hours and hours? No! But that still begs the question as to why prepare for the best case scenario and not the worst?

Ferguson is a great example. If the cops hadn't shown up, that place would be in utter chaos right now. They prepared for worse case and went with it. Most of you will not get that because you want to fit this hippie image that doesn't exist or cannot think outside the box.

Ebola needs to be dealt with. The world has a 24/7 connection, meaning I can travel the world in about 24 hours. Thus, I can drag ebola anywhere I want to, that is the issue. Something so miniscule and utterly harmless has become the most powerful weapon because of the 24/7 connection.

Not hard to understand that it isn't Fear-bola. It is understanding-bola.

Take a step out of the relm of ATS and into a medical book. I mean seriously AutumnWitch657 registered in 2013 and has 4,283 replies. ATS isn't reality anymore because the internet is a tool that the governments use to make a case.

Most of you are downplaying ebola, the internet is downplaying ebola, the MSM is downplaying ebola. I think they do not want to ensue panic because no force in the world can stop a rioting public.

Ebola is real, understand the risks and move on with daily life. Not a hard concept.

Glad I could entertain you . Thanks for coming.

PS I read two books a week. My kindle has almost 200 books stored in the cloud. I have three from the public library on my bedside table right now.
So glad you really know me. Not.

The point of the thread is not that Ebola is a warm fuzzy kitten we can play with. It's not that we shouldn't be cautious and diligent. It's about the overblown senseless reactions as outlined by the CNN story in the opening post.

There are countless threads on the forums right now where your point would be relevant but it's not to this particular topic which is reaction to Ebola threats.
I respect your views and agree it's not something to dismiss or gloss over.

PS I'm not sure what point you're making by saying I'm a member since 2013 and have 4000 + posts. ???

I've actually been here since 2008 FYI.
edit on AM0000003100000010104354312014-10-21T09:54:24-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu31u10104359312014-10-21T09:59:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I think it's fear more than the fear of Ebola. Remember the "Swine Flu"? How about the "Avian Flu"? For those of us not prone to idiocy, we saw Ebola for what it was: A non issue. (Or at least, a very minute one.)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
This aint over. Mr. Duncan wont be last to bring Ebola here. In fact Terrorist might even bring it here on purpose and intentionally spread it. They could do a lot of damage before we even know what they are doing. If they will blow themselves up, they will certainly accept getting Ebola coming here and intentionally spread it. Imagine how fast an Ebola infected person could spread the disease working at a fast food drive through.

Out government has a LOT of work to do to get this contained far beyond the Duncan case.

I agree. I think we should wait at least another month before anyone can declare that the U.S. is Ebola-free. There are too many people who are STILL on watch lists because of their contacts with those two nurses.

The early stages of Ebola can feel like other illnesses like the flu. That ought to make work in our nation's emergency rooms interesting this winter.

I still believe the best way to help contain this is to stop all international flights to/from West Africa. If the gov't believed this was not a threat, then Obama and his so-called Ebola czar need to explain what's up with all the protective gear the gov't has been hoarding. What's up with that special team of 30 people that are currently being trained, ready to be deployed with 72 hours notice? What's up with the quarantine of all these people still on watch lists if it's UNLIKELY - the gov't and media's byword - they will get sick?

Another thing that would help would be to have our wide-open southern border closed. But President Obama refuses to yield to common sense.

I heard someone say we should be more concerned about the government's reaction to Ebola than the disease itself. This could very well be true. but it doesn't hurt to be careful. I have a history of various medical issues inc. cancer, asthma, etc etc and cannot afford to get sick. Not even with the common cold. Whenever someone coughs or sneezes into their hands and then touches things like doorknobs, bus rails, etc like I saw the other day it makes me angry. No common courtesy whatsoever. I even saw someone in my doctor's office cough really hard right into a magazine she grabbed from the table.....ready to infect the next person who was unfortunate to read it.

This ain't over yet. Not by a long shot.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You have to ask yourself "why all the media hype/ebola panic attacks." Aside from the fact that it's ebola and ended up in the US, and all the other legitimate reasons to have a healthy respect for the level 4 contagion that could possibly become uncontrollable. Let me say that at this point, now that the media calls us fear-mongering hermits who are scared of sneezing passengers, I am worried that this is a big opportunity for pharmaceutical companies to compare flu to ebola to get you in for a flu shot. I have already seen this catching on in the media and everywhere else, " bajillions of people dying of flu every minute, don't be in a body bag by the end of flu season just get a shot. Just do it. It's for your safety."

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Imagine the reactions if a single case was caused by a Mickey Ds employee. People shunning MaDonalds, stock plummeting. Citizens carrying picket signs at every drive through in the country.
Come on guys this is the subject at hand.
The thread keeps devolving to Ebola scourge of the century . When it's supposed to be about public reaction to fear mongering.
Like the kid who got taunted at the soccer game.
Gosh I am being forced into moderating my own thread to keep you guys on the subject.
Here's an assignment then. Go find a story supporting the subject of public reactions to the fear of Ebola. There are more. I've seen them.
Thanks guys!
ly to: Xeven

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Stopping all flights would be one of those overblown reactions. And before everyone jumps on the they could use special military planes to fly in doctors I'd like to point out that most health agencies involved in this like doctors without borders rely on commercial flights to countries in need because they just don't have the funds for chartered flights. Those planes won't fly without fuel and qualified pilots. Those things are expensive. If our government decided to foot the bill there would be another lot up in arms about wasteful spending. It's a no win situation.
Also nothing would stop a victim from traveling overland to a neighboring country where flights are not restricted.
Surely no one wants to simply shut down Africa as a continent. That would be extreme to the max. for a reply to: dianajune

edit on AMu31u10104325312014-10-21T10:25:15-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You want public reaction to fear mongering? Google this: flu shot and ebola. There's an adorable little article titled "Want to help combat ebola? Get a flu shot." This will be your public reaction. People lining up to combat ebola, at the local walgreens and fear-pressuring each other to get the shot.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildoracle13
You want public reaction to fear mongering? Google this: flu shot and ebola. There's an adorable little article titled "Want to help combat ebola? Get a flu shot." This will be your public reaction. People lining up to combat ebola, at the local walgreens and fear-pressuring each other to get the shot.

They really are pushing those shots. A pastor I enjoy listening to online was talking about free flu shots being advertised all over his town. In my neck of the woods a local pharmacy has a big sign in their front window that declares these shots are free for those on Medicaid and/or Medicare.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It seems to me that too many people get sick from the flu shot. Most likely would from an Ebola vaccine if one ever gets developed.

Re. mongering of different types, I noticed that the gov't and mainstream media has been doing overtime trying to persuade people this epidemic is finally out of the U.S., even though two nurses have been infected and scores are on watch lists. Lots of calm-mongering if you ask me.

They don't want a public revolt.
edit on 21-10-2014 by dianajune because: typo

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Shutting down borders is what helped contain Ebola....to a limited extent...in that region.

Obama needs to shut down our borders. He's just asking for trouble. How many illegals have snuck in with various illnesses, inc. many from Ebola countries?

He is being foolish by refusing to do anything. His so-called Ebola czar has no medical degree to his name.....heck, I am better qualified than he due to my having worked in an ER years ago as an admitting clerk. Hmph.

This ain't over. Calm mongering will make things worse in the long run. People are getting sick and tired of being lied to by our gov't and its lapdogs in the media.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Calm mongering is a GOOD thing. Being calm helps you think and be rational about a situation. Letting your fear get the better of you just results in emotional decisions that you will regret later.

For instance, because I don't fear this disease ONE bit, I can look at the stats that say that only 3 people in this country have contacted ebola (one of which was flown here from Africa). Whether it has gone away or not is irrelevant, letting fear control you and fearing something that is killing next to 0% of the population is a rather dumb thing to be scared of.

It baffles me why you want to resist being calm about something. It truly does. Why do you actually WANT to fear things? It's such an emotionally draining condition to be in a constant state of fear. I think I'd rather just go about my day not caring about Ebola until it actually becomes a serious threat in this country. Which by all accounts looks like it won't happen.
edit on 21-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

PS I read two books a week. My kindle has almost 200 books stored in the cloud. I have three from the public library on my bedside table right now.

Wow you sound like me...weird :-)

Anyway I think some are missing the point, the facts do not mesh with the amount of fear and worry. If it eventually does then it will warrant the responses we have going now. Why don't we give it time, we over reacted to Bird and Swine flu and were told it was going to be a pandemic, I actually found a dead bird in my yard sitting on her nest no sign of trauma and was surprised when the center we had been told to notify of dead birds did not care to test it or any questions nothing.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It baffles me why you want to resist being calm about something. It truly does. Why do you actually WANT to fear things? It's such an emotionally draining condition to be in a constant state of fear.

There seems to be several kinds of us out there, when I enjoy fear I am not really afraid in the typical sense, there are people who are truly terrified and yet they read threads that scare them to death everyday. they beg people not to write the threads instead of avoiding them...these are the people that I can't fathom.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join