It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola good news

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I'm glad things are well in Nigeria and Senegal.

I'm concerned about America.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

I wouldn't say days unless its in a lab.. hours in a real environment like a car, either way it is a concern but a little one.
You would be so unlucky to be able to catch it by sitting on bus, your chances would probably be higher to die from the bus driver having a heart attack and crashing.
If you could catch it by simply being next to someone the situation in africa would be an entirely different story, there would be imported cases world wide and i would have quit my job, stocked the car and moved to the country.
If the person next to you is symptomatic slumped on a bus vomiting and trying to clench so they dont leak out their ass then you should not be sitting next to them for a start. Even if you did unless you manage to get their fluid into your eyes, mouth or open wounds then you have little to worry about.
All this is a bit off topic from the thread but i agree in that there is terrible communication going on the media are having field day and people are becoming hysterical for no good reason. Happy to have this conversation but maybe in a different thread?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

America does not have to worry yet, i think people are being overly critical remember that there has been 6 medical transfers into the US with ZERO accidents - clearly your system can cope.
Its been demonstrated that you cant cope when a person lies to get on a plane and then provides inaccurate information to a hospital ED and when it is clear the treating team dont follow their procedures that they had in place. its like baking a cake if you decide to 'ad lib' it for even one step then the outcome might be terrible.
These types of situations happen every time there is new virus strains and emerging diseases, the media just doesnt report unless its something scary sounding like EBOLA
We have a guy in our isolation room right now who has had both his legs slowly chopped off over the last 3 months as our infectious disease team tries to work out how to stop this random fungus from poisoning his blood, it started in his foot he know has one leg gone and the other cut above the knee. These things happen - medicine is trial an error things go wrong especially when treating teams deviate from the tried and tested course.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: D4rcyJones

It is good news and over the last couple days, it does seem like things are slowing down on this Ebola threat. I could be wrong but maybe by the end of this week, we'll see less deaths per week instead of more.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I dont think that quickly as they are still doubling in number ever few weeks. By the end of the year i think we will have a good indication of where things are headed. If we get to the end of year without it crossing borders again in Africa i think that would be a great start to the new year.

It would be great if all the people that are being treated internationally i think about 17 all up in places like US, Germany, Spain, France, Norway etc if we could get to a point in the coming weeks where all these people are discharged and allow these hospitals to have a proper debrief and review of how things went. Thats what im hoping for in the comming weeks, and of course no imported cases down under

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Take heart Hon. We're certainly capable of containing it here. There have only been three who actually got sick on our soil and we're already well on the way to being able to say it's been stopped.
That barring any new people who decide they have a better chance of survival if they board a plane to fly to America for treatment. I'm pretty sure that that was Duncan's motive and not some long overdue family reunion I wish there was more I could say to make you worry less. . a reply to: ValentineWiggin

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yes good posts/ ideas its just a virus it doesn't have multiple brains or the internet . A short time period is a plus point , too , as long as its 21 days ...not 2016

Got the map and the index there ,

cheers

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems like its been "ebola madness" in the media and even here on ATS. Frankly i really was getting overwhelmed with all of the different threads, and news breaks, and updates, and story changes etc. It seemed like every day for a while now I would get on and there would be some "Breaking update". Ebola! Ebola! Ebola!

Then literally as soon as the new czar was named... nothing. Well i guess not technically "nothing" there are news stories coming out and being updated but nothing compared to before. I can't help but wonder if it isn't coincidental. If , as some have speculated, the media really is being "wiped, cleaned, and sanitized".

Maybe it was for the best- hysteria would only cause even more problems, and more quickly... but at the same time when someone goes out of their way to keep me from knowing something, or knowing ALL the info, It just makes me that more suspicious. Mass panic would NOT be good in anyway- and anything they can do to prevent that is a plus in my book i guess.

I just wish i trusted out Government more.
edit on 203127111am31America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Now Deperating Ebola Central... Next stop Bird Flu...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Well thank you for that, for what it's worth AutumnWitch. I am quite the worrier and quite harried lately. I hope you are right.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
To add more:
Patient has been released from Atlanta meaning for the 6 evacuation to the US 4 have been successfully treated and released with 2 still in treatment plus the 2 nurses who had local transmission. So far only death is the Dallas case, lets hope it stays that way.

On top of this Norway has treated and discharged its first and only case who is now hoping to return to west Africa.

All news out of Spain remains positive with continued negative tests.

I am working on an updated epi curv for a presentation im giving. Will post it when its done so people can see the situation at a glance.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Source

American Journalist tests negative 3 days in a row.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Think I'll have ebola ice cream.

edit on Rpm102114v43201400000040 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm glad everything is going to be OK......but you have to admit that was exciting. The first real doom we've had to face in a very long time. For awhile I was sure all of us were going to be lined up at the pearly gates.

Now if that pesky sun spot lining up with the planet will just fizzle out we'll probably all die of old age.....

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Exciting? More like exhausting if you work in public health.. I've started growing grey hairs over the last couple of months :s 

I suspect by the time this is all under control I’ll look rather distinguished

Good news about the camera man so now in the US there are just the 2 nurses, 1 in Atlanta and the other in Nebraska (both are designated EVD hospitals)

All other evacuations to European countries have been treated and released except for 1 still in Germany. Combined EU had 11 evacuations out of Africa for EVD +1 local transmission all up 3 deaths all others are in recovery or discharged.

Another bit of good news that has happened in all of this was that many journal publishers made EVD related papers free to download (can be extremely expensive otherwise). Today Gideon (the Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Network) made one of their publications free it is ‘Ebola global status’ usually like $40 but you can go onto their website and download using coupon ‘promed’. A lot of information in the report is probably old news to a lot of you but it gives you an idea of what we look at from an epidemiological point of view. It was written in April so doesn’t contain much about the current outbreak, still good for reference though.

www.gideononline.com...

ProMed for those who don’t know is an online mailing list, if you’re interested in Ebola or infectious diseases I recommend you sign up to it, depending on what youre interested in you can get multiple emails a day or just once a week. They send out notification of emerging diseases and outbreaks a long with commentary from medical and public health professionals, some of which are directly involved with on the ground work, this provides much better information and discussion then what you get in standard media.

www.promedmail.org...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Darn what is the big pharma millions of dollars used to make ebola vaccines is going to do, this are not good news for them.

Unless, unless, time will tell.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I now think you may have jumped the gun with this Thread:

en.trend.az...

Three people suspected Ebola were hospitalized in the Turkish provinces of Izmir, Kahraman Marash and Konya, the Anadolu Turkish news agency said Oct.22.

One of the hospitalized is a Turkish student who studies in Somalia and returned to his homeland, and the rest returned from the Hajj in Saudi Arabia.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Thanks for link, appreciate new info as it comes. I wouldn’t say I'm jumping the gun as I'm not for a moment suggesting that this is over or even winding down, just that there are bits of good news that come out and I am fully confident in our global resources to tackle this, this isn’t the end of the world so don’t worry, we will all still die of self-inflicted of heart disease or cancer. 

My money would be on MERS or Malaria. Neither Somalia nor Saudi Arabia have ever had an EVD patient, EVER. On the other hand Malaria is endemic in Somali and Saudi Arabia is always reporting MERS, and even Turkey has reported MERS.

Keep In  mind that you meet the case definition of suspected EVD if you have:
Sudden onset fever and 3 of the following  - headache, vomiting, anorexia/ loss of appetite, diarrhoea, lethargy, stomach pain, aching muscles or joints, difficulty swallowing, breathing difficulties, or hiccup; or any person with unexplained bleeding OR any sudden, unexplained death.

Basically if you eat a dodgy late night kebab after a night of drinking and wake up hung over you could probably go to an ED and described how you are feeling you could probably get enough boxes ticked to be ‘suspected EVD’… especially if you say you’ve been to Africa, people have to remember that Africa is huge and Somalia is nowhere near the outbreak. For perspective the United Kingdom is closer to the outbreak than Somalia is and Saudi Arabia is even further.

There have been literally 100s of suspected imported cases worldwide and every single one of them has turned out negative. The only time that someone was not caught was Dallas.

Also Saudi Arabia has a high level of Bio-preparedness already in place - they need to because of MERS. So for someone to become infected during the Haj  means that someone with EVD got into the country unnoticed, developed symptoms while surrounded by over a million people with no one noticing, was able to continue the pilgrimage while Ebola ravages their body and leave the country before dying and re-entered another country while in late stage of illness symptomatic without being noticed. On top of this Saudi Arabia hasn’t reported anything EVD related if there was transmission occurring during the pilgrimage that’s the first place it would have been noticed. 

I'm not saying it can’t happen and I will add Turkey to my list of countries to monitor, but I strongly suspect that within 3 days it will be clear that its no EVD.

In other news a French company, Vedalab, is reporting to have developed a bed side EVD test that takes as little as 15mins to provide results compared with the 3 hours required in a lab. If true and works as reported this is a valuable and much needed tool. www.english.rfi.fr...

Edit: article is sensationalist, there is no evd transmission in Nigeria or Senegal and it was never rapidly spreading there.
There is no Ebola in Australia, the case in Norway was a planned evacuation who has now recovered. The only countries that still has an EVD patient is Germany and the US. Patients in all other countries have recovered (UK, France, Spain)

edit on 22-10-2014 by D4rcyJones because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I can't be bothered to start a new thread but it seems a compound in 'Green' tea can help fight against EB.

Research from the US Army suggests that epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a compound from green tea, might prevent Ebola virus infection. Researchers showed that a key protein is essential for Ebola virus infection by using EGCG to block this protein.

we observed a high degree of mortality (100%) in mice treated with either PBS or scrambled PMO controls. In contrast, mice treated with the HSPA5–PMO were completely protected from lethal EBOV challenge.”

www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin

Well thank you for that, for what it's worth AutumnWitch. I am quite the worrier and quite harried lately. I hope you are right.

I hear you. Go hug a kid you like or play with a dog or cat. Sometimes redirecting your focus can have incredibly positive results. I go for a walk in the woods or along the beach when I start to worry. It may not result in any brainstorm but it gets my mind away from the issue for a while. I'll count birds or try to identify plants anything but think of the problem.
You know what they say...just breathe.

And for what it's worth I don't think this will be any kind of life changing event for us or the world.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join