It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw something when I was a kid that has always puzzled me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
It was 40 years ago, so I only remember very few details.... but I vividly remember what I saw....

I was about 11-13 years old and a friend of mine and I were "camping" out in the backyard..... camping being a fancy word for we slept outside one summer night.

The other kids name was Mike, and all I can recall was he a chubby kid... that's it lol... no last name....barely can remember what he looked like... anyways I digress.

We were laying there talking looking up at the stars like kids do, when I saw what appeared to be two bright stars moving in a straight line towards each other....as in like a head on collision type of move....they weren't moving particularly fast, but it was very obvious that they were moving and were not stars... but two bright points of light.....as they got closer I was sure they were going to hit and was waiting to see some sort of explosion or something when it happened...( hey we were kids lol ).

The weird thing was right when they merged into one single point, they deflected at 90 degrees away from each other and sped off very fast in opposite directions. I don't remember anything else from that night other than waking up the next morning.

I know its not much to go on, but that was 40 years ago and I can still see those two points of light just like it happened 10 minutes ago. I have thought about it over the years and can't come up with a logical explanation other than maybe it was a satellite or something and a temperature inversion made it appear like there were two.... this would have been 69-71 somewhere in that time frame.

This is the first time I have ever told this to anyone....anybody got any ideas what it could have been? I have always wondered about this.

I posted this here because I have no idea what it was so to me it was and still is an unidentified flying object.... two of them.

rough drawing of what I saw

edit on R202014-10-20T04:20:21-05:00k2010Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R222014-10-20T04:22:26-05:00k2210Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R302014-10-20T04:30:56-05:00k3010Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
What you saw there was what the common folk call UFO's. Some of them think they are spacecraft piloted by aliens from another planet. I think that is a bold assumption on their part.
I have seen many "strange lights in the sky."
I have no idea what they are, but they are there to see on occasion.
I have seen many of them. I spend a lot of time watching the sky at night.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I will also throw this out there, probably not related, but in the same theme.....

This happened the summer before or earlier in the summer than the original post, been too long ago to remember for sure.

A bunch of us kids were sleeping out in a backyard, about 6 of us..... there was a wooden telephone pole in this kids back yard. At some point that night, something came down the pole, several of us saw it and were trying to make out what it was but it was too dark to make out details.... whatever it was, it made it down to the ground and started towards us at which point we jumped up and started yelling.... whatever it was hightailed it back up the pole and disappeared, we got a flashlight and shined it up there but it was gone.... it was about 2 feet tall and hopped kinda like a bird... I always thought that it was some kind of bat.... but we don't have bats anywhere near that big in Western Kentucky.

We didn't spend the rest of that night outside...we were too scared after that.

Now that I think about this stuff...its no wonder I have no desire to camp out as an adult LOL.
edit on R532014-10-20T04:53:59-05:00k5310Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R552014-10-20T04:55:59-05:00k5510Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R582014-10-20T04:58:16-05:00k5810Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
I will also throw this out there, probably not related, but in the same theme.....

This happened the summer before or earlier in the summer than the original post, been too long ago to remember for sure.

A bunch of us kids were sleeping out in a backyard, about 6 of us..... there was a wooden telephone pole in this kids back yard. At some point that night, something came down the pole, several of us saw it and were trying to make out what it was but it was too dark to make out details.... whatever it was, it made it down to the ground and started towards us at which point we jumped up and started yelling.... whatever it was hightailed it back up the pole and disappeared, we got a flashlight and shined it up there but it was gone.... it was about 2 feet tall and hopped kinda like a bird... I always thought that it was some kind of bat.... but we don't have bats anywhere near that big in Western Kentucky.
We didn't spend the rest of that night outside...we were too scared after that.

Now that I think about this stuff...its no wonder I have no desire to camp out as an adult LOL.

Think it could have maybe been a raccoon trapped in a trash bag?
I don't doubt your account. Just trying to come up with a rational explanation.
edit on 20-10-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
On the second one.. I have no idea.... it was too dark to make out anything other than a dark shape.....whatever it was, walking on the ground wasn't its natural habitat,,, it seemed like an awkward type of movement...that's why I relate it to the way some bird walk... kinda halfway between a walk and a hop.

Some years later I saw a video show about vampire bats and that's exactly what it reminded me of once I saw that...had no idea what a vampire bat was at the time... what one of those would be doing in Kentucky would be way beyond me...but that's what I have always thought it was after seeing a video one of them approach a cow for feeding....the same type of awkward movement on the ground like it wasn't its natural way of moving.

Just two weird things that happened very close together. Maybe I should try one of those regression hypnotists to get a better idea of what I saw both times lol. Too bad I don't believe in hypnotism.

Anyway that's it for me... no more weird stories... The first one has always stuck in my mind as something I couldn't logically explain... the second one I still think was some sort of bat,,, but why it would crawl down and back up a telephone pole instead of flying is beyond me...could have been damn near anything I guess. Scared the crap out of us kids though lol.
edit on R312014-10-20T05:31:31-05:00k3110Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

"when I saw what appeared to be two bright stars moving in a straight line towards each other"

"The weird thing was right when they merged into one single point, they deflected at 90 degrees away from each other and sped off very fast in opposite directions."

Maybe that's how UFOs dance or copulate?

On a more serious note the fact that this happened so long ago means there is probably less of a chance it was drones or some kind of quad copters.
edit on 20-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Your story reminds me a lot of what my dad saw in 1965. There were a lot of legit sightings during that era. It's hard to know what people are seeing these days with so many drones, copters, lanterns and balloons in the sky..

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Military exercise? ...you know night maneuvers maybe. Isn't there military bases near you.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
OP

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, they are UFOs, What were they? Who knows. Over the past few decades of my life I've seen a few of those 'Bright stars' do some rather interesting things. The issue for me is that there was no telling what they really were as being so high up. I know of no commercial or even military craft that could do some of the things these bright object did. Having said that, they were just bright star like objects high up in the sky and were unidentifiable from the desert floor.

I've been privileged to have lived in a few locations in my adult life that were far away from City lights. Where you could look up on a clear night and see the grandeur of the milky way in perfect clarity. There one sees commercial, possibly military flights, the straight paths of satellites and yes, the occasional Bright Object that twists and turn.

Makes me wonder if the Ancients also saw those types of objects and spun campfire yarns about this or that God riding their 'Chariots of the sky' as they went about their journeys across the heavens...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

The way the OP describes the UFOs 90 degree turn suggests otherwise unless back then we had aerial vehicles with flight characteristics way beyond even today's capability's.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

mebbe it was jefferson starship..
back in the day when they were
calling all occupants of interplanetary craft

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

No military bases anywhere near where I lived..... Ft Knox or Ft Campbell would be the closest at 100 miles away for each. The way they moved would have been impossible by todays standards much less back then...your talking a 90 degree turn with rapid acceleration within a second or so. The G forces would have been incredible.

That's why I always thought temperature inversion or something made it appear like there were two,,, everything moved in exact opposites of each other as referenced in my drawing. Probably some logical explanation that just alludes me. That's why I posted this here... hoping for an answer after all these years. Just something that's bugged me. There was a lot of space stuff going on back then with the Apollo missions and what not.

Edit for clarity: I noticed one bright light moving first,,,, then the other, they were quite a ways apart in the sky slowly moving towards each other...maintained same speed until it appeared that they either merged or came very very close to each other and then turned 90 degrees and sped away much much more rapidly than they approached each other.
edit on R052014-10-20T06:05:37-05:00k0510Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Thank you for replying.... I feel a little less crazy for posting that now lol.

I have recently moved back to the same area of Kentucky and look forward to spending a few nights outside in a lawn chair gazing up at the stars,,, I forgot how beautiful the milky way is when you can actually see it... I spent the last 26 years of my life in the DC metro area and star gazing was absolutely out of the question.

My fiancee is moving here in 2 weeks....I plan on getting two lay-back lawn chairs for the back deck so we can just chill, talk and look at the stars..........we too often forget that the best things in life are sometimes free.

I now live in extremely rural area where it is pitch black outside at night and there are millions of stars in the sky. Nothing like a chilly autumn night with a blanket, some drinks and a little star gazing and contemplating your place in the big picture of things.

More people should do it.

edit on R162014-10-20T06:16:39-05:00k1610Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
i've seen exactly the same thing as you, along with 3 of my friends.. it's one of the ways we know they're UFOs.. nothing else on this planet would do that.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
aliens are real but i think the gov has some tech, seeing how its 40 years ago it was probably an E.T or some other phenomenon.

Experimental weaponry? maybe a space collision in mid air hahaha i don't know. My best guesses.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What you describe is very similar to my own experience.

Camping in northern Ontario in the '80's. My girlfriend and I were star gazing and noticed a satellite. As we were following it across the sky it made an abrupt change in direction, almost a 90 degree turn.

That's it. Simple but inexplicable.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Given you slight details, I'll make the quantum jump to suggest that you witnessed two mass-cancelling UFOs playing a little game.

Yeah, that is a stretch, but let's examine the situation: Two points of light converge (more or less). Two points of light in the sky moving rapidly suggests that they were of material form and could not be merely "two points of light."

That they were able to divert their courses by an apparent 90 degrees within a split second tells us that they were ignoring the typical confines of our understanding of physics in regard to mass and inertia. Which, of course, is the real for your puzzlement yet after 40 years.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Perhaps those two lights were Navistar GPS or satellites. They are arranged to orbit around the Earth in specific orbital planes at fixed angles to each other:

www.cs.colorado.edu...

Normally, they keep a few extra satellites in orbit in case others fail. When that happens, they need to switch orbital planes, but this can only be done at specific points called "orbital nodes" where the two planes intersect. It has to be done quickly, in a matter of seconds, otherwise they will go out of alignment.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join