It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet C/2013 A1 post-encounter with Mars, explosion or plasma discharge, or normal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

It seems to move relative to the main lens flare could be a flare or an internal reflection within the optics.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

originally posted by: wildespace
And here we have the explanation from the video author:

the burst is effected through some very fast moving clouds, which altered the exposure of some of the 75 shots. The "plasma burst" exists only in the insane brains of a certain kind of people, who wish to have some "events" and "proofs" for their "theories".
- www.facebook.com...

Sorry buddy but all I see is content not found.
Perhaps we've got to be friends to see his posts on Facebook?

Apologies, I forgot that that group has a "closed" status. Still, I quoted what he wrote, and I linked to his personal profile. He clearly has an idea about what we see in the video, and the reason for the "burst" is passing clouds.

Screenshot:

edit on 20-10-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ngchunter

a reply to: AgentSmith

I know that there is a crowd who have jumped onto the band wagon regarding what was seen, and without enough data, it's just a patient waiting game for it.

A few screenshots of when Slooh did cut the feed:

It still raises questions as to why? Although I'm not expecting anything sinister in the motive, they did what they did for a reason, knowing people were watching and observing.

Check the video I posted by suspicious observer, he's even commented on his youtube page for people to be patient.

jump to conclusions, and some of the conclusions already being published are of the worst kind - they are hasty, make our online community appear crazy, and do not reflect diligent examination. #

And I fully agree with him.

Those pictures just show them repositioning the telescope during the exposure. Nothing more. They probably didn't expect certain low information people to latch onto it. It's so common that astronomers like me don't even think about it when it happens.

Check out 1:56:34 of this video to see the same sort of effect in a video I shot of Mars in infrared:

Awesome, thank you! It all makes sense now, a lesson learned for myself too!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

And here we have the explanation from the video author:

the burst is effected through some very fast moving clouds, which altered the exposure of some of the 75 shots. The "plasma burst" exists only in the insane brains of a certain kind of people, who wish to have some "events" and "proofs" for their "theories".
- www.facebook.com...

Sorry buddy but all I see is content not found.
Perhaps we've got to be friends to see his posts on Facebook?

Apologies, I forgot that that group has a "closed" status. Still, I quoted what he wrote, and I linked to his personal profile. He clearly has an idea about what we see in the video, and the reason for the "burst" is passing clouds.

Screenshot:

Excellent, thanks. I sent him a message earlier today asking for confirmation that it was just clouds but hadn't heard back yet. I've got some people on another site trying to imply that the screenshot is somehow faked since he didn't post it publicly. Any chance you could get him to post his comment publicly on his youtube channel?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Little re-cap video where I try to cover all these issues.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The close passage of this comet to Mars appears to be remarkably "low key" post encounter. There are several videos and/or photos on this site from ground based observers, but where are the photos from the fleet of spacecraft in Mars orbit? Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, but I thought that this site would have been swamped by them....
edit on 22-10-2014 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Mogget

I did explain this in another thread on here, but the best way to find out sometimes is to go to the source.. In fact that's usually the best way every time.

A summary article, contains images also below

Curiosity's attempts (Raw Images for Sol 783), can't spot it myself!

Opportunity's successful attempts (Raw images)

Damian Peach's amazing photograph

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter HiRISE images

And information relevant to each orbiter with added emphasis by me:

NASA Mars Odyssey Orbiter:

"The telemetry received from Odyssey this afternoon confirms not only that the spacecraft is in fine health but also that it conducted the planned observations of comet Siding Spring within hours of the comet's closest approach to Mars," said Odyssey Mission Manager Chris Potts of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., speaking from mission operations center at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver.
Comet Siding Spring observations were made by the orbiter's Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS). Resulting images are expected in coming days after the data is downlinked to Earth and processed. THEMIS is also scheduled to record a combined image of the comet and a portion of Mars later this week. In addition, the Odyssey mission is using the spacecraft's Neutron Spectrometer and High Energy Neutron detector to assess possible effects on Mars' atmosphere of dust and gas from the comet.
www.nasa.gov...

NASA Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter:

Following the critical period of dust flux, the orbiter is communicating at 1.5 megabits per second with NASA's Deep Space Network. It remained on Side A of its two redundant computers, and all subsystems are working as expected.
Downlink of data has begun from today's comet observations by three instruments on Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The full downlink may take days. These instruments -- the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE), the Compact Imaging Spectrometer for Mars (CRISM), and the Context Camera (CTX) -- also observed the comet for days before the flyby and will continue to make observations of it in the next few days. The orbiter's other three instruments are being used to study possible effects of gas and dust in the comet's tail interacting with the atmosphere of Mars. These are the Mars Climate Sounder (MCS), the Mars Color Imager (MARCI) and the Mars Shallow Radar (SHARAD).
www.nasa.gov...

NASA MAVEN Orbiter:

Downlink of data has begun from MAVEN observations of the comet and Mars' atmosphere. Some observations are designed to provide information about the composition of the gases and dust being released by the comet. Others are investigating possible interaction between material from the comet and the atmosphere of Mars.
www.nasa.gov...

ESA's Mars Express Orbiter:

The downlink of the science data has started. The observation programme focused on the atmosphere/ionosphere continues for another two days. The HRSC pictures from the encounter are due for downlnk on Thursday.
blogs.esa.int...

Don't expect anything hugely visually exciting unless you're a scientist though or of that mindset, it's not like in a movie :-)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith
Curiosity's attempts (Raw Images for Sol 783), can't spot it myself!

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
See the angled dash? I think that's it. The signal's too weak and spread out to be a cosmic ray hit in my estimation.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Ah yes good spot! I stopped looking when it didn't look like this ;-)

www.spaceanswers.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You oversimplify and misrepresent what the EU proponents are communicating. Nothing has been presented by them that supports an observable discharge during this event. The EU proponents provide much more evidence than just looking at pictures of comets, and they do not ignore the data from the array of instruments that are on board Rosetta or any other scientific missions. In fact often they use much of the data and observations from these missions to support their theories.

They do not forget that plasma physics are a key part of mainstream ideas but stress the principal role of electromagnetism in astrophysics and cosmology, while mainstream science stresses gravity as the principal force in space. And the fact that the Rosetta project leading scientist's expertise is in Space Plasma Physics does not necessarily make his statements correct and everyone else wrong. The EU also has experts in Plasma Physics, so what's the point?

EU proponents admit that they throw math out of the window that does not represent observable reality, since that is the role of math. And there is plenty of math if you want it spend the time by Dr. Steven Crothers, Dr. Don Scott and others.

The EU theory explains and has accurately predicted many of the present observations of comet behavior, planetary formation and surface composition that established science has found anomalous and unexpected. For example as predicted, the surface morphology of the Rosetta mission comet is very shattered and rocky with no water ice present. No smooth dirty snow ball here or on the other several comets we have observed closely. Rather the surface looks like a scarred and scorched surface similar to the Martian or lunar surfaces. To quote the ESA, "It will rewrite the textbooks of cometary science."

Your statement: "If their theories were correct, we would be wondering why are various spacecraft have all failed, and why our numerous landers all suddenly vanished in a massive electrical discharge..", shows your lack of understanding of plasma behavior and electrical discharge. There are multiple discharge modes based on the energy level and EM environment. Not all are in the visible range, nor energetic enough to cause any apparent damage or effect on electronics. For example there is the earth's aurora that is a glow mode discharge and lightning that is an arc discharge.

And mainstream science is becoming more aware of potential detrimental discharges between natural and artificial bodies that are oppositely charged. In fact in a relatively new report, NASA issued warnings of the potential dangers facing astronauts due to electrical environments created by asteroids and the possible effects it could have on future missions: www.youtube.com...

The EU scientists do not believe that they can answer all questions through visual examination and lab experiments; however, plasma behavior and electrical phenomena is scalable and demonstrable in the lab, and appears to represent what is observed at the cosmic scale. This has been demonstrated for nearly a century. The universe cannot be a lab since you have no control over the experimental variables especially gravity.

Associating EU scientists with Nibiru believers is just dishonest and pure nonsense. There are also many stories and fables that are dreamed up by scientists to explain observed anomalies, but have as much solid foundation as religious dogma.

Based on your statements and vehement attack on the EU community, it appears you represent other interests, and discrediting the EU is your primary agenda. Your handle, Agent Smith, seems to reveal your true role and function, which is to attack the EU theory at all costs. However in the end, it is the evidence that will determine the truth, not your opinion or disinformation.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: carminelr
Nothing has been presented by them that supports an observable discharge during this event.

Bahahaha!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Bahahaha!

And I thought this was the dumbest thing I have seen in a while..

But after watching that vid...I think I found a new dumbest thing I have seen in a while.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: carminelr
No smooth dirty snow ball here or on the other several comets we have observed closely.

Did the mainstream science expect to see smooth, ice-covered comets? If so, I'd like to see statements to this end in academic papers or articles.

I did, however, find the mention that comet's surfaces can be non-icy through depletion in volatiles, formation of rubble mantle and irradiation mantle. The ice is below the surface, and sublimates though vents.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It seems like people alredy lost interest in the comet and its passage near Mars. But let's take a look back at Seven Mars spacecraft attempted observations of comet Siding Spring. How did they go?

There are even colour images from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter!

The photos of the comet from rovers and spacecraft at Mars aren't visually stunning, but they offer a plethora of scientific data, will will be researched and published in the coming weeks, months and years.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join