It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana's History: How One Plant Spread Through the World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There's a long history of cannabis use in my family. My Mexican ancestors were amongst the original inhabitants of northern NM/southern CO. Many stories of old timers back in the day smoking pot.

Most of them were miners. I imagine cannabis was a way of taking the edge off harsh working/living conditions and was used medicinally.

My hubby's family is from Yugoslavia (Serbia). Not sure if I can repeat it here but my mom-in-law told me the old Babas would boil a "certain" large seed pod in milk, give the milk to colicky babies. They also dried the pods, used them for baby rattles.

My southern grandma made all sorts of home made remedies, kerosine seemed to be a favorite ingredient. She picked/cooked poke salad which can be poisonous and a bottle of paregoric always sat in her medicine cabinet. She'd give it to us when vomiting went on too long. It instantly calmed my tummy, made me feel sleepy and wonderful. I remember her showing me the skull/crossbones on the bottle. Wish I still had it, the bottle I mean.

All cultures used whatever they had on hand in a pinch. Lots of experimentation, passed down knowledge. Most were used medicinally but could have many applications. They'd use similar concoctions to treat livestock. For sore muscle my granny rubbed us down with a horse liniment. Parents of my mom's generation routinely rubbed alcohol on the gums of teething babies. Out here old ranchers still treat themselves with veterinary grade antibiotics.

We're so uptight about everything. My parents survived all the remedies and some horrible childhood illnesses, they're 80/83 and my grandma lived to be 96. She started smoking in third grade, LOL, when she had to quit school to work in a cigarette factory. She later switched over to what she referred to as "snuff," basically powdery chew.

Many generations later here I am freely enjoying harvest time in southern CO.
edit on 10-21-2014 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join