It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Democratic National Committee Payed Al Sharpton To Campaign For Kerry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
While all of John Kerrys Democratic party rivals lined up to help him campaign for the presidency, only one of their number was payed to do so. Al Sharpton, was payed $86,715 in travel and consulting fees by the Democratic National Committee. Sharpton described the payout as a reimbursement for travel expenses, but a $35,000 dollar payment was tendered 15 days after the election for a political consulting fee.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - All of John Kerry's one-time rivals in the Democratic presidential primary eventually lined up to support him as the nominee, but only one got paid for it Al Sharpton.

The Democratic National Committee paid Sharpton $86,715 in travel and consulting fees to compensate for his campaigning for Kerry and other Democratic candidates, according to reports to the Federal Election Commission.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Sharpton said he was paid for travel and he didn't know how much he had been reimbursed.

"They asked me to travel to 20 or 30 cities to campaign, and I did that," Sharpton said. "What am I supposed to do, donate the cost of air fare?"

But records show that while most of the money was to reimburse travel expenses, Sharpton was paid $35,000 as a "political consulting fee" 15 days after the election. The consulting fee was first reported in this week's edition of the Village Voice.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article states that the DNC indicated that Kerry asked to pay Sharpton not the other way around. But really now, was Al Sharpton so indispensable that they felt the need to pay him all that money? This has to be one of the all time worst returns on investment. Sharpton is a politician of the worst sort and he even lied about the money by indicating it was for travel expenses when more than half was for consulting.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
So what?
Didnt karl rove get payed to work for bush?is he a man of high moral fiber?
get real,politics is what politicians do for a living.you want al sharpton to get a part time job at burger king so he can work the rest of the time being a political leader?
i find it funny in light of whats happening in america,you would even post this.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain
i find it funny in light of whats happening in america,you would even post this.

where did this happen, then?
the implication is, bonesman kerry was propped up by paying off the competition.
$86,000 in travel expenses? seems high to me, but i think money is like air to politicians. they breathe it.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain

What that Al Sharpton no doubt demanded compensation when none of the others did? What exactly do you find funny about it?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Not that I'm defending Sharpton, as he's clearly an opportunist but it's not at all uncommon to pay your opponents campaign debt (for example) after winning a run off within a party. It helps heal wounds and rally support going forward. The winner usually has money to burn as well.

But I know that's not what was going on here in full. The job of "activist" doesn't pay well. Frankly just being a Democrat pays next to nothing. After political life, you've got professor, laywer (if properly trained) and "activist" or "strategist" as options.

Look at the differences in just the current administration. Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush, all of them I suppose, bounce back and forth from corporate to political roles as if there's no difference... some several times during their career. Sometimes just being paid for their name and government contacts. Their functions are practically indistinguishable as lobbysists and Republican government officials anyway. Increase the wealth of constituents. That's pretty much what they do regardless.

Gouliani (how it should be spelled) gets millions now just for slapping his name on practically anything. Security consulting? Stock investing? Riiiiight.

Zell Miller was a Democrat for 40 years, but went Republican at retirement. To say he wasn't paid to do so is an outright lie. No Bush didn't pay him to campaign. Again you don't have to pay Republicans. Zell was already on the conservative lobbyist payroll for Phillip Morris by the time he was campaiging for Bush. That's less a change of heart as promotion on the payroll foodchain.

So the disingenuous concern about actually paying someone above the table a few grand for campaigning for a Democrat is nothing in comparison to the millions it pays to be a Republican.

Don't you think any Democratic politician could change parties tomorrow and raise triple the amount from less sources just by hitting up pharmcos and oil lobbies (for example)?

It takes millions of $10 donations to run as a Democrat. And it still sucks the life and future economic opportunitues out of you. Sharpton, Dean, Gore, any of them deserved alot more than $35 grand or whatever Sharpton got for that long year campaiging against Bush.

I'd love to know what Zell or Gouliani made in that same year. More than $35 thousand I can tell you. In fact, I'd wager if Sharpton only made $35,000 in that year aside from real expenses he probably made less than anyone in the entire campaign including Kucinich or any of the lesser bit players that actually had jobs already in government.

He's an activist for crying out loud. Something a capitalist society despises with vigor and for all practical purposes makes darn near impossible to be without a tact for selfish gain.

Now, Nader in comparison is a very rich man from his form of activism. Salaried founder and board member of several dozen watchdog groups. Prolific author. I wouldn't vote for that shill any more than I would a Republican.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What The moonies rule the future Rant!!!!! Well what am I going to wear at the mass wedding?

Actually your point of the monies dished out is well taken. Because Sharpton is a such a load, it made for an interesting article. I Kerry was really courting the Black vote, how come he did not turn to more prominent and better respected African Americans or at the very least those with a bigger audience outside of New York.

Why put all you eggs in the Rev. Al's basket. one thing is truly clear here though. For a few weeks work, he cleared alot of money. We all went into the wrong profession

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
What The moonies rule the future Rant!!!!! Well what am I going to wear at the mass wedding?

that WOULD be funny, if it weren't true.
www.washingtonpost.com...
trade your cross in for a crown.
over a dozen lawmakers?
senate office building?
coronation???!

stalin? hitler?
nice future.

top topics

join