It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy to Keep Us Behind Bars

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: scattergun

Also I don't understand how they can make such a profit off of this system when the funding comes from the state yet the state can't afford to run the themselves.

What's the difference? Does the state have to provide a better quality of life?

Good Question, Lets take Texas. If the State can avoid paying the salaries, training and benefits/retirement to 22,000 prison guards they save millions now, and Billions over the long term. They also shift all liability to the corporation who can afford better lawyers... And I would never try to justify suffering to anyone. This system is really f'ed up. Now your comments about the courts, true, true, true. But the Courts are totally separate from the prison system corporate or not. And after looking at some of these courts and the way they are run we should be glad that those folks aren't running prisons or we would have noting but starving prisoners and untrained thugs beating prisoners... The corporate prisons are all over the world actually quite a few in Australia who desperately needed to save money or release seriously dangerous criminals

The courts issue is a whole mess unto itself!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
There seems to be some problem discussing the topic here.
So, to remind all:
The Conspiracy to Keep Us Behind Bars

You are responsible for your own posts.
Community Announcement re: Decorum

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This sham is as old as slavery, and contextually the same or similar.

Lets not forget about the exponential growth here, from 1% in the 70's to 8% Now, if we continue on this exact road we will see 90% of the population with criminal records. We are not all criminals. Most are losing their lives for a plant. The fact that we treat criminals as less than human, only alludes to our lack of humanity.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

The percentages kind of skew things as well, since we had only 203 million americans in 1970 compared to 314ish million now. The whole thing is a giant scam that quite a few people are aware of. The biggest problem is that people are making money off it, and it's "legal"!

That's the thing that gets me, we got all these people goin "Oh well its legal get used to it". Legal doesnt equal right. I hate to go here but screw it... In Germany it was legal to detain jews and kill them... Hooray for legality. Apparently it can be used to justify anything to someone with a simple enough mind they cant see past a 5 letter word to get to the truth.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
When comparing the numbers and percentages of people locked up across the world there looks to be some error. How can China have less people locked up (about a million) with a much larger population (about a billion) and yet have a higher percentage compared to America?

All I can think is it was a list of population sizes kind of erroneously thrown in. It was showing country size, with no relation to imprisonment that I could see? Let me break down the numbers it is simple really.

So 330 million(population of US) divided by 2.2 million(prison population) is 150. so 150:1 in that One out of every 150 people are in prison, and as far as I can tell that is not even including jails, which may add as much as 12 million.

Lets do China! They have 1,367 Million people. 1.7 million prisoners(transparent number?). divided is 804 : 1 so that is for every 804 people in China one is in prison.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well once you become a felon, you lose the right to own a gun or vote. When the day comes that 90% percent of the population are felons then it's checkmate for the 1% because they are the only people who won't have a felony. Every day of every year they add more laws or find new ways to criminalize trivial things. If you're not allowed to own a gun because of a felony even a non-violent one then they don't have to make gun ownership illegal and the 1‰ will be able to put whichever shill in office that will do their bidding much easier than they already do.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So just to elaborate, if you add the number of people who are in prison(2.2 Million), to the number of people who will spend time in jail in a given year (12 Million) We have 330 Million to 14.2 Million or interestingly enough one of my favorite numbers: 23 to 1

I think that number hits closer to home with the actual likely hood that you will become a criminal and do time at around 23:1

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
For profit prisons are just government subsidized slavery,

pure evil!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: geldib

You forgot work. You lose the right to work. Not that it's a right but...

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: khnum

It's the vengeful nature of the way we think in America. We actually love putting people in jail.

We love revenge culture just read the boards on ATS.

Oh you mean like "I hope so and so ends up behind bars with the infamous Big Bubba for some sado-masochistic homosexual love-making"?

The very thought of this situation seems to make a lot of guys sexually excited - the passive pot smoker being dominated and harassed by aggressive social predators.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Depends on where you live and how you define the word "right". My state likes to call itself a "right to work" state. Most people would think it means everyone has the right to work, but it really means they have to right to limit your rights in the workplace and fire you for any petty reason they can cook up as far as my understanding goes.

Please watch this. 2 minutes in they show an episode of Sesame Street where they talk about having your parents in prison. We now have to have childrens shows that explain to children what happened to their parents as they are not around to tell it themselves. Seriously watch this entire thing it is absolutely absurd.

edit on 20-10-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bundy

Sheeeeeeesh

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Sorry - new here - is that actually Jesse Ventura in the op?

Still finding new forums each day.

Apologies for the n00b inquiry, I'm honestly fascinated.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadKennedys

He's in the video.

<< 1  2   >>

join