It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Hard Is It To Steal An Atom Bomb?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
According to released government reports: not very.
(If embedded video doesn't work, try this link:
www.youtube.com... )

edit on 19-10-2014 by WeAreAllNext because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/19/2014 by semperfortis because: Fixed Video Link

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What the heck would you want to steal an a bomb for. Anyway if you go to a couple of Russian satellite countries they'll sell you one. Only an idiot would detonate one of them in the earth atmosphere. It could lead to complete end game and that includes the detonator. All the big powers realise this and that is why all the caution in any theatre of war.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAllNext
According to released government reports: not very.
(If embedded video doesn't work, try this link:
www.youtube.com... )

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Well i don't know how it is in the US but as my old job was helping to make sure nutters didn't do just that
In the UK at least it would be extremely difficult im not going into detail for obvious reasons
but lets just say there are multiple layers of various types of intruder detection as well as CCTV
and armed police guarding ours on land and the rest of the time they are at sea aboard a ballistic missile
submarine the whereabouts of which is only known by a very few select persons.

fancy trying it well your window would be very very small indeed and the weapons are disarmed
before going ashore anyhow so you would need the knowledge of how to bring one online before
you had any more than a radioactive paperweight. And that in all likely hood you would get shot before
you got off the site with anyhow good luck.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Here is another interesting perspective on the availability of nukes.

edit on 19-10-2014 by CraftBuilder because: I smell really, really good!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

Back during the cold war I think they decided nuclear proliferation was best handled by not building the technology in the first place.
I was reading about the SL1 incident back in 1961, you could do a whole conspiracy thread on that one incident alone.
Who would have thought you could make a simple 3 MW reactor blow to 20 Gigawatts in 4 milliseconds?
The blueprints in the PDF show a significant amount of disassembly was required.
These units were designed to power remote DEW arctic listening posts.
Some of our trainees stated plans to put Ivan in fetters by sabotaging the units if they were attacked.

www.inl.gov...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
see now videos like this is what should be in all the nlbs links on the side. I would have never known by just hitting top and new like I usually do. I decided to venture out today. Forget Yemen, or Killing encryption. We need to know that many people all over the world may already be in possession of these bombs outside of military control. When will it go off???

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I’ve never looked into it, but I have asked myself, “how hard can it be to buy a nuke on the black market?” Say from one of the old Soviet Union countries, including Russia, who may be in dire straits financially. I figured it must not be that easy, though, otherwise they’d be popping them off all over the place. Still, it surprises me that not even 1 has been detonated within our borders since 9/11.

I would think it must be rather difficult, technically, to pull off such a terrorist feat. But, there are a few skilled terrorists out there who, with a little training, could probably do the job. And with the proper incentive, I’m sure there would be no shortage of volunteers. In the first place, you know Allah would be beside himself with glee after hearing of the massive kill count. Truckloads and truckloads of infidels in one clean shot. That right there should merit instant celebrity status. And with celebrity come special rewards. I’d be willing to bet that Allah throws in a few extra goodies, above and beyond the standard 70-virgin pack, for the ones pulling off that job. Considering all that, I guess it might be kinda hard for many young, wannabe martyrs to pass up such an opportunity.

Based on the above, and since it hasn’t happened yet, it must be really difficult to obtain an A-bomb, deliver it to some destination (particularly in the U.S.) and then detonate it. It’s just not as easy as it sounds.

However, what about a dirty bomb, or suitcase nukes? Why haven;t we seen any of them set off? I’m being serious, now. I thought that was supposed to be a little easier. Maybe not?

I’ll follow this thread for awhile, hoping that some informed ATSer can answer the question in the title. I curious to know more...

PS: This thread reminded me of an old Randy Newman song called “Let's drop the big one now”. He was a funny musician and wrote a few clever songs.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Easy, even easier to steal weapons grade material.. JUST ASK Israel.

Recently declassified documents analyzed by the Institute for Research on Middle Eastern Policy reveal a surprising fact. The Israeli government used American Jews and its own intelligence agents to infiltrate American uranium stockpiles in the 1950s and 1960s and steal 269 kilograms of weapons-grade material. That led to the creation of the Zionist state’s first nuclear bomb.

americanfreepress.net...
edit on 21-1-2015 by YouNeedMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You would have an extremely hard time, but even if you got one you would not be able to use it or extract the ballistic material. No doubt the are able to track the movement via satellite as well. A lot of very clever people thought about this for a very long time who had a lot of money, and their idea was to make it very hard for you or anybody to do these things.

a reply to: WeAreAllNext

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
And after you pull it off, if you do, then you have the problem that any US or Soviet weapon will have a form of permissive action link that will safe the weapon if you try to detonate it without the right codes.

On top of which, you've got to pull maintenance on the thing, or it'll become a dud in about a year.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

And after you pull it off, if you do, then you have the problem that any US or Soviet weapon will have a form of permissive action link that will safe the weapon if you try to detonate it without the right codes.

And I have a strong intuition that those kind of weapon have some form of active built-in protection!

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Nuclear winter.
Destroy everything you touch.
A little music to listen to if one chooses to read my rant

I have something to say about nuclear weapons and the atomic bomb. It's controversial, and people usually get angry at me for saying it. I've probably heard worse than what ever reaction the reader may have, so feel free to express any attack this opinion provokes.

The thing I have to say, this opinion, is most easily summed up in three axioms.

1. America invented the Atomic bomb.
2. The Rosenbergs were executed for stealing it from us.
3. The world would be a lot safer this day, if we were still the only country with nukes.

To be clear. I consider _ANY_ country in possession of nuclear/atomic weapons that is _NOT_ the United States of America to be parties, after the fact, to theft and guilty of a crime. A Crime against justice, a crime against humanity, and a crime against all life on planet Earth. Possibly the entire solar system.

To further illustrate how strongly I hold this position I consider any country that does not immediately disarm, sell their nuclear/atomic advances back to the U.S., and allow all of their nuclear scientists to immigrate to the U.S., I consider those countries to be rogue states worthy of the most extreme forms of punitive action. Just like the Rosenbergs.

Proliferation of nuclear and atomic weapons is the guillotine over the neck of life in this solar system.

Everything else is trivia.

/grumpy grouch is gonna grump
Mike Grouchy

edit on 17-4-2015 by mikegrouchy because: spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Even the US atomic bomb sites don't really have adequate security, and most of the tech around the missiles is from the 1980's, at best, to avoid hackers.

A determined terrorist group can get by a few marines with guns petty easily. Most of the missile bases are in remote areas (out of necessity) and it would take a long time for the military to respond if someone attacked one.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It might be easier to steal a weapon than it would be to actually detonate one. I don't know -- but I imagine it isn't very simple to set a bomb off without disabling it completely. I think these weapons are pretty well thought out (otherwise we would have a lot more bombs going off and whatnot -- I would think so.)

If my understanding is correct (and who can say if it is or isn't) these weapons are fairly delicate -- designed to go off ONLY when that is the intention.

On a related note -- I was reading that there have been over 50 nuclear weapons lost at sea, mainly aboard Russian and US nuclear submarine accidents... that we know of.

www.nytimes.com...

top topics

join