It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida mom launches petition against Toys 'R Us for carrying 'Breaking Bad' figures

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Do you know how big the drug problem is in our highschools?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Answer

Your missing the point.

It's not the shows content that glorifies the culture its its popularity.

Oh, I perfectly understood the point you're trying to make. The fact is that your statement has no basis in reality.

Breaking Bad is the best piece of anti-drug commentary I've ever seen. Trainspotting and Requiem For A Dream are close.

Your claim that the show's popularity bears the same influence regardless of its content is simply not factual and I have no idea how you can make that assertion.
edit on 10/19/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

a reply to: stargatetravels

Yeah who needs morality right?

If your kids are getting their morals from TV shows, you have failed as a parent and as a human being.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Legos
Err Citizen Brick

www.dailymail.co.uk...

link   

What does that have to do with Breaking Bad considering their have been drug issues in High Schools for decades.

link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: onequestion

I think that it is YOU that is missing the point here bud.

The show, in general, has nothing to do with anything except its own popularity. I mean, look, Game of Thrones is super popular right now but you don't see the school kids going out trying to poison kings and be drunkard knights.

The fact is if you are being influenced by a show, sort your priorities, because something is way off and if you are letting your kids watch Breaking Bad, there might be some pre-existing issues that should be addressed immediately.

Exactly.. a show that has Incest, murder, rape, torture and extreme violence... and those toys are sat on the shelves just fine.

But DRUGS.... just the mere thought of DRUGS and ZOMG!!!! The world will collapse.

If you support the OP or this "mom" then you're a moron.

edit on 19/10/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Just as big as it ever was, what is your point? Are you seriously trying to convince us that the meth problem has only erupted since the advent of Breaking Bad? Drugs have always been a part of the coming of age experience. Wheter or not a specific individual will try those drugs has no basis in their viewership of cable television.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

What does that have to do with Breaking Bad considering their have been drug issues in High Schools for decades.

onequestion will keep bringing up irrelevant points that he/she thinks support the incredibly inaccurate statements made thus far. It's not about logic or good parenting, it's about OH THE CHILDREN! SOMEONE PLEASE DO SOMETHING FOR THE CHILDREN!!
edit on 10/19/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yeah who needs morality right?

It's not up to anyone else to try to influence or control my morality. That's half the freaking problem in this world today: Some people trying to make other people just like them instead of just worrying about themselves and their own.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Yeah, who needs my morality, right?

I fixed that for you.

What you fail to realize is the fact that you do not have the right to make decisions for other people's children. You have every right not to buy them for your own kids, but you cannot make that decision for my children.

I hate people like you. I am getting fed-up with people that are dumber than me being able to make decisions for me. You do not have the right to force Toys-R-Us to discontinue selling the Breaking Bad toys so you can "protect other people's children."

Seriously, just worry about your own damn kids. How hard could it be??

In the meantime, with Christmas coming up, I am going to buy the entire set for my 3-year-old daughter. Yes, just to spite you, because you and your authoritarian ilk are the scum of the Earth.

I will be sure to come back with pics of her playing with them, too

edit on 19-10-2014 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Wow. I'm shocked. Breaking Bad did anything but glorify drug dealers. Did any of you watch it? Did you happen to see them get the crap beaten out of them at least a thousand times? Did you see the heartbreak it caused them and their families? Did you see Jessie's girlfriend die from an overdose? Glorification? What is the definition of 'glorified'? We must all have two different understandings of the word. Anybody who was thinking of dealing drugs would run in the other direction after seeing what those two went through.

As far as Toys R Us, Do you folks want to do away with all our rights? How 'bout not buying it if you don't like it? Whatever happened to parental guidance? No kids should have been watching Breaking Bad to start with. It was completely adult content.

Man, has the tea party taken over this site? It's so conservative now I barely recognize it, but now you want to determine what stores may and may not sell? What next?

link   
Well on a positive side,maybe the show will encourage your kids to pay more attention in Chemistry class

link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

When our kids have to play together in school it's not a problem for you anymore it's a problem for everyone.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Since when are toys just for kids? Also, they sell video games that carry a mature rating (for 17 years and older). So, it shows that they offer products for young toddlers and also adults. I don't see one problem with this.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Got any yet?

Those straws you're grasping for I mean, I know they're short but I guess I can't blame your for your overzealous perseverance.

*sigh*

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm almost sure that's why so many people who feel this way decide to homeschool their kids. To keep them away from things they will one day have to face anyway. Which way better equips them for the real world? That's up to you to decide.

link   

When our kids have to play together in school it's not a problem for you anymore it's a problem for everyone.

What kind of slippery slope have you been smoking?

What school district are your kids in? I want to make sure I send my daughter there after I buy her these toys.

She can tell your kids all about the pretend joys of cooking meth.

link   

originally posted by: Gully
I wonder how many people found out about these toys because of this woman and have gone out and bought them...free advertising.

I did. Christmas shopping for my son in law, done!

Check out the tiny glass viles!

I just love the little respirator!

edit on 19-10-2014 by windword because: LOL

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Hey OQ? It's called being a kid. The pecking order & peer pressure is by far & wide very normal. Every person here had those questionable schoolmates who probably didn't have very good parental oversight -- if any at all. Did being around troubled kids wreck them? Destroy their ability to make sound decisions? Come on, you can't blame your eff ups on everyone else & get away with it. Crappy parenting is one thing, but bad choices you make outside their presence is all you.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: Gully
I wonder how many people found out about these toys because of this woman and have gone out and bought them...free advertising.

I did. Christmas shopping for son in law, done!

Check out the tiny glass viles!

I just love the little respirator!

Yeah Science Mr White!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join