It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween enquiry: Do ghosts have gravity (lol)?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Since the earth, our suns solar system, our galaxy, and our mega-galaxy structure, etc. etc. (turtles, all the way down) are always twisting and moving in multiple ways and directions - it's an acrobatic balancing act just to stand upright even before Happy hour - how do ghosts stick along for the ride? They must have gravity! No? And if they have gravity, what is it that gravitates?

I've never seen a ghost, it's not one of my things, so my belief in them floats eerily in the neutral agnostic stage. But many people claim to have seen and interacted with them. So.....what makes them stick?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Reply with peer reviewed mathematical studies only. Unless you know something the peer reviewers can only scream at.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Peer reviewed studies on whether ghosts are affected by gravity?
Maybe Duke University, if anywhere.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You're right, that's too restrictive. So beer reviewed studies also acceptable.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Why wouldn't they have gravity? I assume they have mass. That green gelatinous one in Ghostbusters surely had mass.

The ones that have no mass must purely be excitations in the EM field emanating from another dimension.

But I'm just speculating, I've never encountered a ghastly ghost.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
That's actually a paranormal 24 thousand dollar question.

I don't think most people extend their logic as far as yours.
It's something I've thought alot about.

If you combine all the semi-scientific paranormal studies about the
afterlife--the McDougal study about the "weight" of the soul exiting
the body, the testimonials on "Life After Death" and other books
of that ilk--and try to render it all down...I think you would come up
with some kind of an answer to your question.

IMO. it would seem that the soul does indeed have some weight, or
density, that can interact with the physical universe as we know it.
Otherwise, as you stated, the logical inference would be that the
"soul" would simply drift away from the planet, no longer adhering to
the orbital arc of the earth, the solar system, or even of the
Milky Way galaxy.

So, if the soul exists, it either has some measurable density that
keeps it grounded, or it has some preternatural ability to navigate
at will whither it wishes to go.

So...how is that for a non-answer?

Anyway, your question is a really good one.
I was afraid I was the only one who contemplated thing ike this.
edit on 19-10-2014 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

You must have taken your "anti-ebola" medicine to think up a topic like this

I'm going with no.
although they may be able to materialize on our plane enough to disturb the environment and be seen in the visible spectrum occasionally, they are beyond what our physics is capable of quantifying and not bound by the "rules".

If we did understand, hoo boy! Wouldn't that be a trip?
edit on 19-10-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I know nothing about the science behind ghosts or gravity, however from the very few interactions i have had with them, i suspect they could almost be described as a hologram.

This fits with my belief that ghosts are not dead, but living in a different dimension which occasionally bleeds through into our dimention. But then I could be talking nonsense

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rival

Thanks, and I did forget about that study (which, as far as I know, has never been repeated). I remember seeing pictures of the measuring device. Kind of morbid, but interesting nonetheless. The weight of 'something' leaving the body at death besides the breath should be important (or ghostly) enough to warrant someone else repeating the study/research.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't know for sure either. I do peer into my beer occasionally though. I have some food for thought.

Is the soul pure energy? Do photons have mass?

How does anything free from the "bonds" of the physical plane move around? People and animals, birds and the wind all locomotivate, so how does a soul "float"?

How do all the people that were born here, lived here and died here, leave this place? In the "real" world they need huge spacecraft and millions of pounds of thrust to even get to low earth orbit.

"This is Bowling Donny, not 'Nam. There are rules" -- Walter Sopchek, The Great Lebowski

Heres one Ghostly tale I don't have a link for.
Some Hotel has this specter that comes down the stairs and moves across the room 'cut off at the knees'. Some investigation determined that in the past the place had been remodeled, raising the floor 18 or so inches to a higher level.

So their ghost walks the old floor level? Hows that for "rules"?
edit on 19-10-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Yes, yesterday, while watching the 1935 film 'The Ghost Goes West'. You are as psychic as you are gelatinous.

If ghosts are on another plane of existence, and that plane is outside space and time, where does it land? I mean, take the case of a particular haunted house, toy, or artifact. Does the hauntee, the ghost, have to calculate exactly where in space the house will be when it appears, or is it somehow quantumally-tangled with the substance of the house? Maybe some of ATS's mediums can ask their friendly spirits how they manage to stick. Thanks. Must finish the movie later.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: eccentriclady

Does a hologram have weight (mass) to attach it gravitationally to the areas where it has decided to stay? The film 'Ghost' scientifically shows that a couple in love have magnetism which survives past death, and that the spirit can move minor coinage, but is the spirit subconsciously calculating the motions in space or is it just 'there'?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Science is not a subject i have enough knowledge of to talk intelligently about, but i would assume that given a hologram is a transmitted "picture" its mass would be the same as the mass of light. please correct me if i am wrong.

I guess that ghosts can manipulate energy to move things, will go and google mass of energy and mass of light. I need an answer to this now.
edit on 21/03/2011 by eccentriclady because: to add

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

given a hologram is a transmitted "picture" its mass would be the same as the mass of light. please correct me if i am wrong.

Good question. Coherent light, like lasers. So are ghosts lasers?

Or do they manipulate the mind to manifest? We think we see them. I saw a couple ghosts with friends so thats some simultaneous mind meld.
edit on 19-10-2014 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The whole ghosts being bound thing is predominant. "Hainted" people, paces and things are 'fixed' on the earth. But the earth is moving through space at thousands of miles per hour.

Gravity, or…?

Has there ever been a report of ghostly activity in space?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: the owlbear

Yes, yesterday, while watching the 1935 film 'The Ghost Goes West'. You are as psychic as you are gelatinous.

If ghosts are on another plane of existence, and that plane is outside space and time, where does it land? I mean, take the case of a particular haunted house, toy, or artifact. Does the hauntee, the ghost, have to calculate exactly where in space the house will be when it appears, or is it somehow quantumally-tangled with the substance of the house? Maybe some of ATS's mediums can ask their friendly spirits how they manage to stick. Thanks. Must finish the movie later.

No thank you. I need to check out that movie now. I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. The thought of conscious entities beyond our realm of physics being a possibility has always seemed like a given since I was a child.

I think it was 21 grams was the weight of the soul...

More thoughts later...

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It all depends on whether the ghosts have mass or not, and if they do (or don't), then what kind of mass they have. Or don't. Whether it's rest mass or relativistic mass or whatever.

You see, in order for ghosts to have gravity, they require a mass component and as mass is a function of energy (or at least is part of the equation along with the speed of light [squared]), that means they need to have energy too.

And so, as energy also requires time or else it can't be calculated (as time is part of the equation to determine the speed of light -- or the speed of anything, actually), the long and short of it is that they can only have mass if there is a time factor involved. So, seeing as how ghosts might be eternal -- meaning they exist outside of a normal space-time framework -- then it stands to reason that normally they have no mass. And lacking any, they don't have gravity, nor are they affected by it.

That's how come they can float down stairs and all that cool stuff that ghosts do.

Also, if they had mass it would get really messy when they wanted to pass through walls.

The conundrum is when ghosts kick cans around and slide pennies up doors or make them hang in the air -- like in Ghost:

(By the way, that scene gets me. Has me in tears. Every time.)

Those sorts of freaky but amazing activities require ghosts to either use their own energy to do them, or to somehow harness energy in the environment. But in that case, they would likely need to have mass and energy of their own, which obviously also would require that they at least temporarily place themselves within our time continuum thing.

So, the short answer is that ghosts probably don't have gravity and don't have mass or energy. Unless they want to.

I'm glad that sometimes they want to.

edit on 19/10/14 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady
I know nothing about the science behind ghosts or gravity, however from the very few interactions i have had with them, i suspect they could almost be described as a hologram.

This fits with my belief that ghosts are not dead, but living in a different dimension which occasionally bleeds through into our dimention. But then I could be talking nonsense

There were some theories that there were two kinds; the first were either holograms of images or holograms of thought patterns. Both were generated through a combination of strong physical and emotional events and recorded into the local construction materials such as the quarrtz crystals in granite or lead glass windows. Whenever there has been a strong physical and emotional event, such as someone falling to the ground, that gets recorded through a combination of the emotional shock generating a particular brainwave pattern, and the physical shock causing crystals to realign - in the same way that information is stored on magnetic tape or a hard disk drive.

There's an old legend about one Scottish outhouse, that the gatekeeper was walking up towards one of the window, when there was a lightning strike right behind him, and that his image was "recorded" into a window. The legend is that whenever there is lightning in front of the window, you can see his image in the window.

That would explain "passive sightings" where people see monks or roman warriors running along, except that they are several feet above the ground.

Perhaps if the recording is strong enough and the materials can allow crystals to change magnetic orientation, a form of consciousness can also be made.

There was a story where there used to be a figure of a woman that would appear next to a fireplace. When the stones were removed, the figure disappeared.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Does a cloud?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Does gravity apply to things from other dimensions , I like your answer though

<<   2 >>

join