It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AUSTRALIA-selling the farm to China.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
In the Australian Business Revue on Friday was a story on how a Chinese dairy company has bought 50 farms and 90000 cows that produce 500 million litres of milk annually this is about 12 percent or one eighth of Victorias milk production.This immediately rang alarm bells cheap Victorian milk has decimated the dairy industry elsewhere in Australia and now the only place with a huge dairy industry left is selling out.This milk will be used to make infant formula and other products for the Chinese market it is GONE from local supply and demand.There is of course much more than this purchase going on for example two Chinese consortiums currently have a 3 billion dollar slush fund to buy agricultural land; as well as dairy they are interested in beef,lamb and seafood all struggling industries where an average farmer is over 60 and will probably be only too happy to sell.

Its not panic stations yet Chinese currently only own a little over 1 percent of our agricultural land,but the future growth is set to be exponential by 2020 China will be 65 per cent urban and its arable land area is rapidly shrinking,food security will be a major issue,this presents an opportunity if Australian farmers and companies provide the food- but a threat if they are allowed to exponentially purchase agricultural land with the product going to China,we could even be put in the ridiculous position of having to import milk or food.

Overall property investment is heralding the latter between 2009 and 2013 the Chinese invested 16.6 billion in our property market,in my state last financial year they spent 463 million up 43 percent on the prior year,that's about 11600 average homes,Credit Suisse expects 44 billion will be spent in the next seven years,I have no problem with overseas investment but I am reticent to have them own the land,in much of Asia foreign nationals for the most part can lease land,but not own it,that's what I think should happen.

The Government is not going to do anything as it makes a motza on all the stamp duties and taxes on these investments,but I fear for the future where only rich foreign nationals can afford a house and we end up tenants or squatters in our own country....any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

Its not panic stations yet Chinese currently only own a little over 1 percent of our agricultural land.

....any thoughts?

Its not that they only own 1 % its the fact that

a) they are allowed to own any at all. Leasing, is the maximum they should be permitted to do.

b) its not how much they own but the quality of the land they own, They are buying all the best land in Australia. I read Abbott made a statement saying the Chinese only own 5% of Australia but what he did not say was that the own the best 5%

We should never allow the Chinese or anyone else to own Australian land they should only ever be able to lease it for 20 years.

All the fish grown/caught in Australia is sold in 'the premiuem Asisan market' I heard someone say on some agriculture based TV program once. Now we the masses are fed on fish grown in the sewers of Vietnam.

Now the same thing will happen with milk. We will now be fed on GMO milk that has no nutirition in it and will rot your guts. The depopulation rake has many prongs.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

With the seafood industry we have some of the best seafood in the world but not much of it and the best you are correct goes to Asia,the potential is unlimited for aquaculture production of mud crab,prawns,barramundi,mangrove jack,john dory etc etc but try to start an aquaculture farm and you have ten years of red tape and greenies to contend with, most give up,meanwhile what little we do have goes overseas and the masses have to buy nile perch,basa or some other rubbish no self respecting cat would eat.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Its is like Telstra , We ARE selling the farm . When the farm is all sold what then . It annoys the living crap out of me but what can I do. This needs to be fixed now. Australia for Australians .
edit on 19-10-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Does anybody know where you can get some actual reliable statistics on what foreign countries own the most agricultural land in Australia, as opposed to more of the fear based "big bad chinas buying us out" rants we always here about in the MSM.

Because I'm fairly sure the US, UK and Switzerland all own more than the Chinese, but no one ever jumps up in arms about them. Honestly, imo I think it's just that typical racist hick mentality that gets people so angry and scared when we here about companies from china investing in Australian agricultural land.

Don't forget Chinese investment in the Australian economy was the underlining reason why Australia was one of the only western countries that was able to avoid that recession that crippled economies all over the world a few years back. I would think it would be far more logical to put your money on the team that's most likely to win, rather than the team you barrack for, but that's just me.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The OP mentions that China owns a little over 1% at the moment.

That's about right. And you're right the UK and US are the top 2 I think.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
So the Chinese 'own' the land, when they start digging it up and carting it away is the time to worry.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

One of the things we have to do communicate with politicians on these issues. I read somewhere that what the people from one middle east country do is set up a call center in someones house or somewhere and they have a call the politician/radio station or letter writing party.

Politicians cave in to the people who put the most pressure on them and we are up against big money, threats, promises etc so we have to be creative in the way we harness and coordinate this feeling.

We must get the message out that politician are servants not masters and they should never be permitted to make these decisions without seeking the permission of the Australian people through a referendum. We must demand more and more referendums and take back control of the servant governments. If we achieve this we will sideline and cut big power out of the game altogether.

dunno how we do the next step though

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
So the Chinese 'own' the land, when they start digging it up and carting it away is the time to worry.

the fact they own the land enables them to determine the use to which the land is put, this is key. With a lease what they can do with the land is built into the lease coniditions. that is the difference.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I have often wondered how they were going to take this country down, this seems like a plausible way.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Listen very closely what I have to say to you. Very, very relevant. I saw a video once about what to invest in come SHTF scenarios. THE best thing that anyone can invest in is land. Think on this. An army invades, the can bomb and generally cause destruction. Yet they can't take your land without occupying the country. If the economy goes t*** up you have your land to feed you. Now think if a foreign country owned all your productive farmland. They could move their own workers to work the land, export all the produce back to the motherland. The real bottom line is "own the land, own the country". Well it is a conspiracy site after all.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I fear for the future where only rich foreign nationals can afford a house and we end up tenants or squatters in our own country....any thoughts?

i think this is the way it's been for a long while now..
..most family units (or whatever they are these days) are only 1-2 paychecks away from being hungry & homeless
it's always going to be sheep & goats, only the ratio will vary
the rest is pretty depressing..

what can one do ultimately against 'the machine'?
..maybe we're just meant to not let it have our souls?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
i feel for you Aussie's speaking from a country that has allowed the same plus much worse, if you don't nip it now it will continue to grow.

at least you haven't had a president involved with selling your country's secrets to them yet, and his wife want's to make a run at it now and will probably do it again.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It's just Democracy... Pretty much stiff sh*t if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Yes there are other nations that own more land than China in Australia and the same should apply to them my favorite country other than Australia is Thailand there I can invest in a house or unit but I cannot own the land under it only Thai nationals can own land,are the Thai's racist-no,has this stopped investment there-no it certainly hasn't,as a member of the BLIA buddhist temple which is full of Taiwanese and Chinese expats no I am not a hick and certainly dont begrudge these people the right to buy property IF THEY BECOME AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS,which many are.There are great opportunites in the Asian region this century but we must do it on our terms not theirs.
edit on 19-10-2014 by khnum because: boo boo

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Do it on our terms? You and the rest of Australia do not have terms and conditions, that is decided for you by your idiotic leaders.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: EaglesFan

Food security is a national security issue and yes it is currently in the hands of idiots

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Food security isn't an issue in Australia, we have more land than we know what to do with, so why not sell and lease it out to foreign entities?

That's what capitalism is all about and it is all profit for the economy anyway.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

In 2011 the Foreign investment revue board had 10293 applications it rejected 43 of them,the foreign ownership of farms has doubled from 6 to 12 per cent in the last 20 years,45 million hectares and you can bet these are prime land,half the milk industry,half of wheat exports,60 per cent of sugar and 40 percent of the beef and lamb industries are now foreign owned,10 per cent of irrigation liscences are now in foreign hands.How much do you want to give away?

These concerns have no allegiance to Australia or its farmers,in my city they shut down the Edgell plant and Golden circle now sources its beetroot from New Zealand,Berri uses Brazilian oranges,etc etc you might get cheaper food but at what cost all these things cost farmers jobs, if there is a war could we feed ourselves?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Firstly Edgell is an american company and they shut it down because of the high Australian dollar and the cost of manufacturing in Australia. So if there's an issue here it's not Chinese investment in Australian agriculture, it's the high minimum wage in australia, but I'm quite sure nobody wants to go there.

Why pay an Aussie $20 an hour when they can get an american to do the same job for $6 an hour? Or even set up in some 3rd world country and pay the workers even less.
edit on 19-10-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join