It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola plush toys fly off the shelf for Connecticut company

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Link

Here’s a phrase you probably never thought you’d hear: “Ebola toy.” But yes, there is a company, Giant Microbes, that sells a big stuffed Ebola virus. And this week the company said it’s actually sold out (take a guess why).

Just incase you or your loved ones don't catch Ebola naturally, you can now receive it as a gift! Is this educational or just bad taste?

On the one hand, the company's desire to teach kids about germs via "microbes with personality" sounds like a fantastic idea. On the other hand, cheekily calling a stuffed Ebola "A uniquely contagious gag gift" while people are dying seems, well, unseemly.

Who would of thought that deadly viruses and bacteria can be so cute! Here are their other toys/diseases...

Any parents looking for that perfect gift for your child, you have found it! Ebola makes for a much more comforting snuggle buddy than any normal teddy bear or doll. Don't wait, get in line!

She said the Ebola plush toy comes with "a rather robust hang tag," full of educational information. "It's not like our herpes toy which is often a gag gift ... a guy wants to give his girlfriend herpes."

Act now and get Gonorrhea half off! As a member you get access to everything you see below.

edit on 19-10-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

that is just so wrong on so many levels all i can really pass as a thought is WTF !

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Ill have one of each please

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
ThinkGeek has been selling these bacteria toys for years now. They've been popular with us nerds for awhile.

Funnily, Ebola is currently not an option on the site.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
They should market a stuffed herpes virus. It must last forever.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

that is just so wrong on so many levels all i can really pass as a thought is WTF !

It's educational! Plus, you can say you gave your family ebola for christmas.

There were some comments online about this, some people really took it to heart. You can have half naked/full naked, big boob barbie, but turn a microscopic organism into a plush toy and suddenly people are crying foul.

Geez.

Its educational, better kids know what a deadly virus looks like than one of the Africans dips their hands in bloody bushmeat full of ebola saying, "Yea, but I don't see no ebola in this meat, so it is good! No eee-boh-laa"

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Check my link above your post.

Herpes is $9.99 lol

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Wrong, daring, and still can't keep up with the demand. Funny how that works...

Blame them or the people floating their boat?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
My daughter collects these. She doesn't have the Ebola one though. Her latest addition is the rhinovirus (cold). She won a science project deal a few years back and the science teacher awarded her with one. They've been around for a while.

It's a little morbid, but so are gummy worms.

If you check out the flesh eating "plush" it has a knife and fork embroidered where it's arms would be... if it had arms.

They have one for cancer that acts like a Popple (for those of you who remember what that is). It's a healthy "cell" that turns inside out as a cancer cell.
edit on 10/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

well then perhaps i should go into business selling rabies dogs,or even leprosy dolls...hell why not black death babies with active puss boils that squirt when squeezed !!

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfpint0701
a reply to: skunkape23

Check my link above your post.

Herpes is $9.99 lol

I may have to order that one.
I avoided sex for several months and spent a few hundred bucks for a test because I feared I may have contracted said virus.
I came out clean...just an ingrown hair.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
My daughter collects these. She doesn't have to Ebola one though. Her latest addition is the rhinovirus (cold). She won a science project deal a few years back and the science teacher awarded her with one. They've been around for a while.

It's a little morbid, but so are gummy worms.

Hahahaha, wow...that made me laugh. Your post caught me by surprise as I was sipping a beer! Let me know what one she likes and I'll make sure Santa gets it to her.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I think she's looking to acquire the "Mad Cow" disease one next. She is so freaked out by Ebola (she's almost 17 and just starting to realize her own mortality) that she would catch the plush on fire if someone actually gave it to her lol.

ETA - I really don't see a problem with it. They had the Ebola one before people even started to get sick. The ones my daughter has gotten do go into detail about the diseases. That's why the science teacher was giving them out as prizes. It's educational and most of them are kind of cute IMO.
edit on 10/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Americans are sick!

We already knew they were juvenile delinquents...arrested development and all that...

But now we know they're just beyond repair.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starling
Americans are sick!

We already knew they were juvenile delinquents...arrested development and all that...

But now we know they're just beyond repair.

It's an educational "plush" for crying out loud. They need to make one called "faux offendedness disease". They could incorporate the see no evil, hear no evil, and do no evil bit into it...

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I see your mature approach to that with your kids. I get it. Why be afraid and whisper about stuff thats harmful. It can only make them more fearful than the parents don't want them to be by hiding it from them.

Helping them understand. Start with the fluffiness and as they get comfortable with the word association you can tell them more about it. Instead of real fear mongering and hushing the subject in their presence.

Your daughter is winning awards and learning without fear. Thats marvelous.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Hilarious...

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Cute widdle pandemic; bless its heart!
edit on 18-10-2014 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Dark, morbid, tasteless, uncouth, low-brow, uncivilized.

(Sounds just like my honeymoon)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Starling

I agree. What won't we try to profit on? Can you imagine if we spent all the money we've spent on wars and mindless pointless consumer consumption on renewable energy and sustainable farming. We'd be living in a global utopia for at least a decade or so now.

We must be amazing realty TV for aliens.

"Hey Glorthax, did you see the new episode of Planet X23R4. I hear they wouldn't even stop their rampant consumerism to prevent a global pandemic. They even profiteered by merchandizing the virus?"

"Oh wow, those denizens of Planet X23R4 just can't stop making poor choices. That's why it's my favorite show."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join