It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hallucinogenic Plants May Be Key to Decoding Ancient Southwestern Paintings

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Or if you simply search google for "'___' Art"

It seems when certain chemicals are released in the brain (like dimethyltrptamine) that people experience, aliens, gods, certain geometric patterns, and of course the Souther Shamans, and cultures of the East all believe this to be an experience of conversing with the gods. Others in scientific projects examining hallucinogenic properties of these compounds, have suggested that one is able to "see sound" which makes the idea that some were seeing sound waves very interesting.

It seems there is a crack in the matrix to be sure.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I've read many terrible things about this plant, I would definitely stay far away from it. It's like PCP on steroids.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Great thread OP thanks

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Chewingonmushrooms

Its a dissociative that makes you mentally retarded absolutely no recreation value.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Dang you mianeye,
I spent a couple hrs last night putting a thread together about that article, go to post it this morning and find you beat me to it

S and F

I'll just have to repurpose it for later.

Both of those plants are very common here in central cal, in fact I had a wild tobacco plant in my back yard till the gardener cut it down.
Most of the native Californians used wild tobacco, many as a casual thing, without a lot of spiritual significance implied by it's use.
One of the yokuts tribes has it as part of their creation myth.
When eagle sought to create dry land from the waters of the origin flood, he sent many animals to dive into the waters to get mud, from which the earth could be made. Many animals failed and died trying, but Poh'tik, which is a mud hen or coot, finally succeeded in bring up some mud.
The mud was mixed with seeds and tobacco by eagle and the earth was made, and peopled by Indians.
In another tale from a unrelated group in the mountains of so cal , their creation story has tobacco in it as well.
A great chief was told by the creator that a great disaster was to befall the people. The chief told his people that a great disaster was to happen, and that they must leave this place. The people who believed the chief set out into the great waters in canoes, as their homeland was lost to a wave/flood, the sun and moon were hidden and rain fell for many days. The people rowed in the darkness and fog, singing so that the canoes could stay together in the darkness. After a time the sun and moon reappears and they make land fall in a new land on the other side of the great waters, and they were so happy they danced and had a great smoke to thank the creator.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality
Datura is in fact a Delirant which is quite different from a Dissocative

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

Deleriants have strong dissociative effects.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Its a dissociative that makes you mentally retarded absolutely no recreation value.

Yeah I read that it acts as both a dissociative and a delirium, which is scary indeed. I'm not sure how this plant got into the discussion, but I seriously doubt it has any baring on the paintings whatsoever. I would warn people to simply stay away from it.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

It got into the discussion because, it along with tobacco was found at the sites where this particular style of rock art has been catalogued.
Jimsom weed is still used in shamanic rituals by native people today.

edit on 18-10-2014 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I would like to refer back to your post depicting the waveform seen in the artwork as well as those revealed by the oscilloscope. I have held a belief for a period of time that the current life is primarily purposed to develop the initial investment of energy to a higher and more complex level. There is a verse in the book of psalms 90:15 that says " make us glad according to the days wherein thou hast afflicted us and the years wherein we have seen evil " It is my firm belief that as in the physical world for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction . The same holds true for the spiritual/psychological world.

I have found that the only rational explanation( as far as I can see) for the allowance of so much negative experience ( By God/Creator ) is for the development of positive energy ( for every action equal and opposite reaction). I believe that as it stands right now there is a tremendous amount of positive energy held in potential that will be released / played out under a new set of expanded parameters " I saw a new heaven and a new earth". Currently we are under what I would term the seed development phase (which necessarily has to be predominately negative) " The kingdom of heaven is like a seed " I believe the "seed" is the sum total of psychological/emotional experience that humans have been subjected to throughout history. That entire database of experience is stored in energetic form and will be utilized in an inverted state( Jesus often alluded to this inversion) under a new expanded set of parameters which will be "heaven". Jesus called it the "re-generation".

The advantage comes from the fact that the development of energy at this point ( Negative dominance ) occurs under a much more limited set of parameters ( necessary for preservation of humanity). And the next phase will be allowed to occur under expanded parameters because it will be ( Positive dominance) " The meek shall inherit the Earth"

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

But the revelations provided are pure delirium without any mystical or enchanting qualities i have enjoyed rainbow riding as much as the next guy. But i will never take care of idiots on datura who use it no knowing how deadly it is, and furthermore that the high provided is not even the slightest enjoyable, and temporarily makes you a mentally retarded.

I had to sit outside in the cold rain. I literally could not insert a key into a door lock. No fun.
I had no urge to paint on the walls of a cave...and I am a painter.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
Beware of self incrimination.
It could bite you in the ass.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Lol cave painting and darura now thats funny.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Is datura even,scheduled or controlled? It grows everywhere are the side of the road?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
"Datura is a genus of nine species of poisonous vespertine flowering plants belonging to the family Solanaceae"
They are not regulated,as they are poisonous and not regarded for human consumption.

Certain Alkaloids like scopolamine, found in these plants are used , in small doses, for motion sickness and a few other ailments.

edit on 18-10-2014 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Bias is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective, often accompanied by a refusal to even consider the possible merits of alternative points of view.

Guess your not that unbiased after all...

Dropping knowledge...
Source of unbiased wisdom

The notion that hallucinogenic drugs played a significant part in the development of religion has been extensively discussed, particularly since the middle of the twentieth century. Various ideas of this type have been collected into what has become known as the entheogen theory. The word entheogen is a neologism coined in 1979 by a group of ethnobotanists (those that study the relationship between people and plants). The literal meaning of entheogen is "that which causes God to be within an individual" and might be considered as a more accurate and academic term for popular terms such as hallucinogen or psychedelic drug. By the term entheogen we understand the use of psychoactive substances for religious or spiritual reasons rather than for purely recreational purposes.

Perhaps one of the first things to consider is whether there is any direct evidence for the entheogenic theory of religion which derives from contemporary science.

I feel like there is a lucky charms joke in this somewhere. Give me a sec, I'll find it.
edit on 18-10-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Kinda like the 60's.

If you remember it, you Didn't participate.

Hook me up nurse...I'll go into the beyond and report back.

Peace

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Pink Hearts, Orange Stars, Yellow Moons, Green Clovers, Magic Mushrooms, Transcendental Experiences and Purple Rainbows
edit on 18-10-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
a reply to: jude11

Pink Hearts, Orange Stars, Yellow Moons, Green Clovers, Magic Mushrooms, Transcendental Experiences and Purple Rainbows

And that was what we called breakfast...

Peace

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
a reply to: Char-Lee

Bias is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective, often accompanied by a refusal to even consider the possible merits of alternative points of view.

Guess your not that unbiased after all...
Dropping knowledge...
Source of unbiased wisdom

The notion that hallucinogenic drugs played a significant part in the development of religion has been extensively discussed, particularly since the middle of the twentieth century. Various ideas of this type have been collected into what has become known as the entheogen theory. The word entheogen is a neologism coined in 1979 by a group of ethnobotanists (those that study the relationship between people and plants). The literal meaning of entheogen is "that which causes God to be within an individual" and might be considered as a more accurate and academic term for popular terms such as hallucinogen or psychedelic drug. By the term entheogen we understand the use of psychoactive substances for religious or spiritual reasons rather than for purely recreational purposes.

Perhaps one of the first things to consider is whether there is any direct evidence for the entheogenic theory of religion which derives from contemporary science.

I feel like there is a lucky charms joke in this somewhere. Give me a sec, I'll find it.

A bunch of guys staring off into space drooling...sounds like heaven to me!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join