It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Allergic to electricity? electrical hypersensitivity

page: 1

log in


posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:08 PM

Peter Lloyd can’t use mains electricity for heating or lighting and washes with water heated on a gas cooker. He has no electric gadgets, cannot watch TV, listen to a CD, access the internet or use a telephone. Visitors have to leave mobile phones and watches outside because they would cause a severe reaction. And he is unable to go out because of the likelihood of encountering someone with a mobile phone, a passing car, a power drill or a wifi zone. These extraordinary living conditions are because Peter, 42, suffers from a rare and cruel condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity.


I never knew of this until I read this article. Crazy! I find it on par with those allergic to water link

We take so much for granted.

Here is a little about electrical hypersensitivity.

The term "electrical hypersensitivity" was first used in 1989, while "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" - EHS for short - was coined in 1994 to reflect sufferers' sensitivity to magnetic as well as electric fields. As early as the 1930s, however, EHS symptoms were observed in people working with radio and electricity, and with military radar in the 1940s. Environmental EHS appeared in the general population from the 1970s with computers. It increased in the 1980s with mobile and cordless phones, and with WiFi from 2000. Thousands of people are now linked with EHS support groups in 30 countries.

I just found this to be interesting and thought I would share.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:22 PM
I cannot stand to be around large humming transformers. I have twice lived near them and my health deteriorated.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:35 PM
Your post is quite the synchronicity for me. I was just talking about electromagnetic sensitivity with one of my co-workers tonight, and telling him about how I had gotten into an argument with someone about the legitimacy of the condition.
There's a certain laptop at work I avoid using. Whenever I do I start to get a bad headache.
I have other triggers as well. Spending too much time around fluorescent lighting for instance. (Although this could be a combination of photo-sensitivity [of certain wavelengths] as well as electromagnetic sensitivity.)

Recognition of the Electromagnetic Sensitivity as a Disability Under the ADA

The ignorance that is the denial of this phenomenon reveals how 'intelligent' and 'educated' people often lack a holistic understanding of reality. The fact that we are an ELECTROCHEMICAL organism which produces its own magnetic field and is bathed in the earth's magnetic field seem to be passing considerations.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:17 AM
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Wow! His life has got to be difficult, there are dangers lurking around every corner.

I wonder if we'll start seeing more allergies like this in the future. The human species is becoming more and more technologically advanced, electronics are everywhere today, what will it be like in 10-20 years.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:29 AM
a reply to: skunkape23

Agree totally . Working from time to time in electrical substations i often come across humming transformers . They are very annoying and give you a sense of unease . Large step down transformers are the worst .

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:41 AM
I presented this topic for discussion 2 years ago:
Can We Acknowledge Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Yet?

Spiritually/Metaphysically, I am an empath, intuitive, and mindfully aware of various energies. As a result, I suffer from low-to-mild Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity. Here is a snippet of my personal testimony from the op of the above mentioned thread:

My Testimonial About Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity

I bought my first cell phone in 2002. Let me tell you what... coming from the age of beepers, answering machines, and street-corner payphones, the affordable advent of the cell phone really changed my reality.

After a couple weeks of toting my new cell phone around in my pocket, I noticed that I could "feel" my cell phone. No matter what pocket it was in, the type or fit of the clothing, or while standing, sitting, or lying down I could "feel" the cell phone.

It Feels Like....
The feeling I get is very hard to accurately explain because I have no other precedent of this type of sensory perception. Wherever the cell phone is on my body, I get a direct and focused feeling in the exact area. It feels like a soft, internal pressure under the skin on the muscular layer. It feels like combined aspects of a bruise, numbing, tingling, and shocking but without pain. The feeling is constant. Though not painful, the uncomfortable feeling causes me to switch my phone from pocket to pocket. If I place the cell phone in a left-side shirt pocket for an extended amount of time, it induces heart palpitations and a slight sharp pain in the heart itself. All of the sensations associated with my EMS lingers for hours, and even days after the cell phone has been removed.

The sensation became more intense when I upgraded to a smart phone, and the sensations have become almost intolerable now that I have one of the "newest and best" smart phones out there. Regardless of the known health dangers, I can not physically tolerate the phone in my pocket for longer than a few minutes before becoming incredibly uncomfortable.

I'm an average guy, and since childhood I have always carried stuff in my pockets. Guys don't carry purses, so we have to put our stuff in our pockets. And to be completely honest, in all my life I've never got an abnormal feeling from anything in my pockets no matter how stuffed they were.



I am most bothered by cell phones and energy efficient compact fluorescent lighting (CFL bulbs).

edit on 10/18/14 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:01 AM
I can't even wear jewelry made of a conductive material. Makes me break out in a rash and leaves burn marks.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 04:59 AM
There is a book, will look up its details later, "the body electricity" that writes a lot about EMI pollution and the effect it has on us, will look its author up later and post it.

I am exactly the opposite. I have an uncurable brain tumor that play havoc with my PNS and the neurologists cannot help me. So, I keep myself functional with an electronic device that I developed and built myself, that keeps on supplying very small electrical pulses to my brain. It hellps me to see and breathe and prevents epileptic seizures. So, for me, electricity is a life-saver. During my research to come up with my stimulator, I read a lot about the effect of electricity amd magnetic fields on the human bidy. As we are a bio-electric machine, it can have both positive and negative effects on us. will post more later, but I have to run for now.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:45 AM
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

I'm not allergic to electricity, but I'm not normal about it either. I can smell when a heating element is on, which is why I can't stand electric baseboard heating, and shocks have never seemed to phase me as much. I always used to challenge the neighbor kids to see who could hold onto the electric fence the longest, from their reactions I can say beyond a doubt that it didn't hurt me nearly as badly as it did them. What is fun is if you stand in a long row holding hands and you touch the electric fence, it barely registers in any of the people holding hands except the very last person on the end of the row. That was always a fun way to shock a newbie who was too afraid to touch it themselves. ;p

Another thing that is odd is that red food coloring to me tastes bitter as hell. I can't eat most of the stuff, although some red dyes seem to be made differently because they don't have that bitter flavor. No one else even notices it. I had a birthday cake once that had bright red food coloring all around the edges and it tasted as if someone fed me a stink bug or something. It was awful.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 10:57 AM
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Just a quick post so I can follow up with this later. Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

top topics


log in