It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridley Scott's upcoming take on Moses, 'Exodus: Gods and Kings', trailer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I love a good old swords n' sandals epic, Gladiator is probably on top of that list.
Although his Robin Hood was utterly disappointing for me.
Still, with films like Alien, Blade Runner, Hannibal, Prometheus (his films I watched and loved) under his belt, I still got faith in him.

The trailer looks good, although it does seem quite CGI heavy, I hope he delivers a good story too, (I don't really rely on trailers anymore).
And I wonder what's gonna be his take on the religious side of the story, God and the nature of the Plagues.

Let's wait and see!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

I'm with you. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite film makers. You didn't mention Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut, not the theatrical cut) or Body of Lies, which are two of my favorites of his.

I like that he seems to be focusing on the fact that Moses and Ramses were raised like brothers, an interesting take on a story familiar to those of us raised in the church. I think that dynamic will make this film a little different than the older versions of the Moses story.

Glad to know there's another Scott fan here. Do you like his brother Tony's films as well?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Looking forward to watching this...

I watched 'Noah' very reluctantly knowing full well that the MSM propaganda would have a hayday with it but I was impressed.

Just be aware of the fact that Hollywood has a powerful blatant religous agenda when ever watching their stuff...

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TWJones

Hi,
unfortunately I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven, but I hear it got both very good and bad reviews about it. I'll try to watch the directors cut when i have the chance.
And as for Tony's work, I've seen Deja Vu, which was interesting; Unstoppable was good from the little I remember; and Pelham 123, which was ridiculous in my opinion.
No, I haven't seen the classic Top Gun.... I know....

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Kingdom of Heaven, IMO, was one of the best Ridley Scott films to date. Bladerunner being my all time favorite.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
One of my favorite animated films is Dreamworks 'Prince of Egypt', I thinks it surpasses any Disney movie and I don't assign myself to any particular religion.

This seems to be the film version of that and I'm looking forward to it.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I had heard a lot of negative reviews on Noah, and I watched it with an open mind (I'm not particularly biased on any particular religious views, mind you).
I quite liked it, even though the giant 'Watchers' were a bit out of place sometimes.
I'm aware of the control Hollywood has on religious matters, but I'm hopeful that sometimes great directors still have a way to deliver their vision.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Is this not DeMille's 10 Commandments? Some just should not be redone. Then there's surprises. I didn't think the Coen's could do True Grit as it should be.....and then they did. Let's see.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That's the first thing that came to my mind when watching the trailer, it's pretty much Bruce Wayne with eyeliner, wait....
At least he didn't go with the old epic white beard.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

If you enjoy a good epic, Kingdom of Heaven is worth watching. But like I said, the director's cut really is a completely different film.

No judgement from me for not having seen Top Gun!

Crimson Tide is an excellent Tony Scott film starring the incomparable Gene Hackman.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Same old stories, over and over and over again, with new CGI effects. I enjoy the CGI as much as anyone, but can we make some movies about ancient mythology/history that haven't done before? How about the book of Jasher, or the book of Enoch? How about the Sumerian story of creation? Anything but this story, and the few others perpetually re-made, decade after decade.

I do like Ridley, but he can do better than this.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Same old stories, over and over and over again, with new CGI effects. I enjoy the CGI as much as anyone, but can we make some movies about ancient mythology/history that haven't done before? How about the book of Jasher, or the book of Enoch? How about the Sumerian story of creation? Anything but this story, and the few others perpetually re-made, decade after decade.

I do like Ridley, but he can do better than this.

My mind would be blown by a big budget Enuma Elish or Gilgamesh (just think of the scene where he sends the hooker to the woods to "tame" Enkidu, NC-17?), Book of Enoch would be crazy as well...

But there bucks in them ol' bible stories...just ask Mel Gibson.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I have to agree with you on that, there is a constant recycling of ideas in hollywood, where old tried and tested successful plots and stories are given 'reboots'. But unfortunately I have come to accept the fact that if the general public keep wanting the same stories, that's what they'll get from Hollywood blockbusters.
There is little space for new(old?) stories in their little world

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyTrick
One of my favorite animated films is Dreamworks 'Prince of Egypt', I thinks it surpasses any Disney movie and I don't assign myself to any particular religion. This seems to be the film version of that and I'm looking forward to it.

Grace Randolph totally agrees...

She did a review of the trailer and she also highly recommends watching 'Prince of Egypt'.

She has of course caught a lot of flak for mentioning 'white washing' in the casting:

theLupeXperience
3 months ago
Please do read this, I have a very real life eXample pertaining to this trailer of how dangerous white washing is: I showed my girlfriend the trailer and she said she didn't see any thing wrong with the casting. After I showed her Ancient Egyptian art portraying Pharaohs and Queens, she then admitted that maybe she has seen too many Hollywood movies! This is so sad for a people's image to be completely altered in the minds of the unsuspecting public. The Mass Media is such a powerful tool, either those in control have to use it responsibly or we should demand that they do. Anyone that doesn't see this blatant white-washing as not just 'mis-cast actors,' but as dangerous and destructive is either just ignorant of the issue or selfish and callous.

submissivelover
3 months ago
It's not necessarily Historically Inaccurate to have these White men Play these Egyptian Kings and religious figures. King Rhamses II has red hair, blondish red hair, a European trait...Clearly illustrating that a host of European Genes had more than found their way to northern Africa.... So. it's not so far fetched to have Joel Edgarton, who's slightly a redhead with big blue eyes to play Rhamses in this film.

Grace and everyone here are just racist and have no idea what they're speaking about half the time, So Anxious to claim "This is White washing", "That is White Washing"...do a little research bro.

edit on 17-10-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yeah you have to see Kingdom of Heaven directors cut, that is a masterpiece of film making. In my top ten and regularly suggest it to friends and what not. Edward Norton is great in it as the leper king, Liam neeson has a great part, and this is probably Orlando bloom's best movie outside of LOTR.

As for Tony Scott, you have to check out his films from the 80's & 90's tons of great tense flicks. One of my favorites has to be True Romance. As for his newer work I always liked man of fire. R.i.p Tony !!

As for Exodus, it looks really good, I'm hoping its another classic Ridley film, which reminds me he is almost 80 and still do this plus he has 3-4 movies planned put for the next 4-5 years!! Keep going Ridley, keep going!!!!

join