It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Accidently Captures Perfectly Framed Bolide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I was wandering around the internet last night when I stumbled upon a post of someone trying to figure what exactly they had captured during their time lapse.

Bolide

Bolide is a general term for any object originating in space that collides with the Earth or explodes in the atmosphere. It covers meteorites, asteroids and comets. In astronomy, the term is often used to describe a meteor that is brighter than magnitude -4 — about as bright as the planet Venus — and is used synonymously with “fireball.” In geology, bolide is generally used to describe a meteorite or asteroid that leaves an impact crater, and tends to be employed where there is insufficient information for a more specific description.

Here is a GIF version.

Anyways, I thought this was super cool, and it's a bit on the NLBS side. I know Astronomer can go their who lives never witnessing such an event. Yet this guy randomly catches a perfectly framed one.
edit on 17-10-2014 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Makes me wonder about the 'bolides" I've seen before, and if they left a trail like that, but I didn't notice it.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Like this one

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Awesome gif, great find ... I didnt know what a bolide was until just now and i want to see one for myself (light and skyline polution will rule that ut where i am)

S&F tho and hats off

stumbles can be so rewarding

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I love that it was a redditor that captured it... pretty cool

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I saw 4 other shooting stars as well, good catch!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

That lucky duck!

Beautiful images of the night sky, love how the stars seem to sparkle.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Thats awesome. We dont even notice the amazing crap that happens over our heads because we never look up. S&F bud.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Come to southern Oregon - you can see one of those every few minutes, just gotta lay outside and get your eyes used to the darkness. I saw one once that covered half the distance across the sky before it flamed out and was emerald green.

Or to put it another way - if you haven't seen meteorites that often in your life, you live in an area of light pollution - time to go camping.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Isn't that the Pleiades in the frame?

new topics

top topics

join