It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Possible Ebola Case at the Pentagon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Jansy

Like I said in another thread, people in America are a bit slow when it comes to bad news, here in southern GA a week ago nobody was talking about the first ebola case in the US, now everywhere you go people are starting to "get it", we are on our own.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bishop2199

Tell that to the over 8,000 people worldwide that currently are infected with Ebola. It is not fear-mongering. There is enough data to gather the statistics.

The 8,000 people world-wide are highly concentrated geographically. The disease is spreading through direct contact, making it easier to control its spread.

Since December 2013, this strain has been doubling its infection population every 25 days. Many people say that that is just due to the health conditions and practices of the people of West Africa where the majority of the population currently resides. Maybe . . .

No, almost certainly. If you cannot see the difference between the conditions in West Africa and in North America, you are not looking very hard.

They also said that it would never replicate that fast if it got to the US because of our health system. However, we have gone from 1 case to 3 confirmed cases in the US in less than a month.

Three people is 0.000000001% of the population. Hardly an epidemic yet. All of them were health care workers who had direct contact with a known victim.

To top it off, the medical professionals who we would expect to have common sense and limit there travel so as to limit the potential exposure of this virus have, in fact, flown on a plane and booked a cruise. Not too bright if you ask me.

I agree with you there. Some health care providers are not very bright. Hopefully these first cases will provide a learning experience.

I do not see that as fear-mongering. It's just looking at the facts as they are today. Plain and Simple.

It is the way you present the facts that is fear mongering: there are members here who think that Ebola is some sort of hoax; it is not. There are others who think that it is a man-made scourge that will reduce the the human population by billions. It is not.

What it is is a disease with a staggeringly high mortality rate, but one that is not very easy to catch. On the diagram below, it falls on the upper left hand side of the graph. You are m ore likely to contract HIV and die than Ebola. You are much more likely to contract Tuberculosis, which is nearly as deadly.

www.theguardian.com...

www.informationisbeautiful.net...

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

I could agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that the incompetence demonstrated in our nation since the first ebola case broke out is too incredible to ignore.

If we let the so call leaders take care of us and our safety we will have a pandemic within two months.

I have lost faith in our government to keep us safe anymore.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Excellent post, but again people keep confusing mortality Rate with case fatality rate.

CFR is the kill rate per infected, mortality rate is the kill rate per population.

Other than that excellent post.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I have lost faith in our government to keep us safe anymore.

Well lets be real here, did you really ever have that faith to begin with?
Since 2001 the people have been treated as an enemy and you are just now losing your faith in their ability to protect us?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: miniatus
Honestly... these Ebola infected people lack any and all sense of proper judgement...

... If I just returned from Africa I would be doing the right thing and keeping myself AT HOME and away from any contact with another living being for at least 21 days out of pure human decency..

... and if I did get symptomatic I wouldn't have been like Duncan and waltzed myself into the local hospital potentially exposing people along the way.. I would call an ambulance and arrange proper transport.

Maybe poor Duncan was so naive about the US medical system that he thought he could just show up at a US hospital, tell them he had a fever and had just arrived from Liberia, and the hospital staff would just jump on it.

Instead he was turned away because: 1.) he had no insurance and 2.) he was not a US citizen. So whoever interviewed Duncan was looking for a way to turn him away, not thinking of the larger hazards of NOT treating him as a potential Ebola victim.

I have deep suspicions that Duncan KNEW he had been exposed to Ebola in Liberia and came to the US for what he hoped would be better treatment. A very bad joke on all.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Woman sick at Pentagon does not have Ebola

Source

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I have been around for a long time, my first vote was cast in 1978, while I don't trust government politics, I truly was "hopeful" that all those billions of tax dollars used to create "agencies" were not just more bureaucrats and that our nations was on top when it came to keeping us safer

Ebola just demonstrated that as a nation we are not safer than West Africa and that our nations officials are nothing but idiots.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AuranVector

Already has been proven that he indeed ran to the US because he was infected, that is why the Liberian government wanted to prosecute him.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Interesting coincidence about this woman:

. At JFNA, she advocated for homeland security and disaster relief appropriations, and monitored pandemic influenza and terrorism risk insurance issues. Prior to becoming a Partner at Total Spectrum in 2013, Terry served as the Associate Director of Government Relations with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Look, one person has died from this as it stands today.
How many other disease/sickness kill more then that every day?

People act like this is already killing everyone in the US.

I just don't get how this is the issue that broke the camels back when it isn't even a epidemic yet.....
More people died while I was writing this then ebola has killed in the US.

Yes our officials are incompetent, but this isn't the issue that highlights that.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I'm tired of reading these posts. If this is being spread through direct contact why are we going to see 10,000 new cases a week in Africa in two months? The ignorance in some of these comments is stunning. Can no one connect the dots?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: stellawayten
Interesting coincidence about this woman:

. At JFNA, she advocated for homeland security and disaster relief appropriations, and monitored pandemic influenza and terrorism risk insurance issues. Prior to becoming a Partner at Total Spectrum in 2013, Terry served as the Associate Director of Government Relations with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).

You might find this interesting. There are additional sources you can follow up with mentioned in the piece.

USCCB and illegal immigrants

Our system is being overloaded and taxed to death---that is code for "fundamentally transforming America".

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

This also... People are not frightened by the numbers now. People are frightened by what the numbers will be. Ebola has no comparison to any other ailment. I don't care if the flu kills 52,000 people a year. The flu is everywhere, ebola is not everywhere YET and when it is it will kill you and 70-90% of your family.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I will wait for another two months to believe that we are indeed safe.

For now, ebola kills, is not vaccine, but trial vaccines, I am not even compatible with the plasma donor so I will keep my options open.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FerronMelwick

I'm tired of reading these posts. If this is being spread through direct contact why are we going to see 10,000 new cases a week in Africa in two months? The ignorance in some of these comments is stunning. Can no one connect the dots?

We have not yet seen 10,000 new cases a month, have we? You are quoting a mathematical extrapolation as though it were an historic fact. The disease may yet be brought under control through education, sanitation and unforeseen breakthroughs in treatment.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: FerronMelwick

Because In west africa there is very little running water. People crap, pee, and bathe in the same water supplies. Because In w. africa there is a large portion of the population that still does not even believe in ebola. Because In west africa there are 8 hospital beds per 10000 people.

And once again... Nigeria stamped out ebola. I like our chances in the US.
edit on 17-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: typos typos typos

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Who are you quoting? The new non-medical experienced Czar? Education won't break ebola at this point. We couldn't contain this early on so what makes you think we can now? Over 230 health care workers have died from this in Africa and you think they need to hit the books to prevent this?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I see it this way, you could be right, I am open to that and hope you are right, but ebola is in a brand new playground here in this side of the world.

Only time will tell, once it gets out of Dallas we will be talking about it much, much more.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FerronMelwick

Where are you getting this info that we are going to see 10k new cases, how could anyone know that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join