It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Possible Ebola Case at the Pentagon

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

No, this strand is different. not new but a variant. For the new study, researchers analyzed viruses from the current Congo outbreak and found them extremely similar to a Zaire Ebola strain that caused previous outbreaks in the Congo region. The virus is different from the Zaire strain causing the larger epidemic in West Africa, suggesting that a separate source in nature seeded each outbreak. The one now in the Congo is the same indigenous Zaire strand but the other outbreaks in West Africa are not. This should also be evident from the smaller number of infections and death ratio which follows the previous patterns seen with the Zaire strand.

In March 2014, the World Health Organization was notified of an outbreak of a communicable disease characterized by fever, severe diarrhea, vomiting, and a high fatality rate in Guinea. Virologic investigation identified Zaire ebolavirus (EBOV) as the causative agent. Full-length genome sequencing and phylogenetic analysis showed that EBOV from Guinea forms a separate clade in relationship to the known EBOV strains from the Democratic Republic of Congo and Gabon. Epidemiologic investigation linked the laboratory-confirmed cases with the presumed first fatality of the outbreak in December 2013. This study demonstrates the emergence of a new EBOV strain in Guinea. www.nejm.org...

other confirming sources : Although the virus belongs to the same species, Ebola-Zaire, the strain is genetically so different that it "is definitely not a dissemination of the outbreak in West Africa,” says virologist Eric Leroy of the International Centre for Medical Research of Franceville, the World Health Organization (WHO) collaborating center in Gabon that is characterizing the DRC virus.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
From my exposing government lies thread:

So just what was it that makes the African outbreak different from an American outbreak?

The Ebola outbreak of 2014 has demonstrated very clearly the vast harm that infectious diseases can cause when combined with other exacerbating factors. Poor health systems, a slow international response, low public trust in government and medicine in the outbreak area, the introduction of the virus to urban settings, and social practices such as burial rites that increase the risk of contagion have created a ‘perfect storm’ for Ebola transmission (1). The gravity of the Ebola outbreak is demonstrated by thousands of deaths,1 and by the potential for further spread. The interconnected and cross-border nature of the threat has facilitated Ebola transmission in West Africa, and it has also led to cases appearing in both the United States and continental Europe.

The interconnected and cross-border nature of risks posed by infectious diseases

"Poor health systems,"

Our system is not poor financially, there is plenty of money to be had. But will that translate into the equipment and training necessary to deal with this disease?

"A slow international response"

The CDC has been behind and playing catch-up the entire time, slow would be an improvement.

"low public trust in government and medicine in the outbreak area"

We have this in spades for the government, and after what that government has done to the healthcare system and seeing how a nurse exposed to ebolabcjose to travel who should have known better than to travel did just that, I think trust in that system may be faltering too.

"the introduction of the virus to urban settings"

One word: Dallas·(and now Akron, Ohio)

"and social practices such as burial rites"

Well, for the most part we don't handle dead bodies the same way here as they do there, so here is finally one substantial difference betwden America amd Africa in regards to this outbreak.

So, four of the five conditions largely responsible for the size of the outbreak also occur here.

Just exactly how much better will we handle Ebola than Africa?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: HighProfile

Please check out the data, the numbers do not lie nor have a political agenda. This member has been doing these charts for several months and they have been dead on with WHO and numerous university models. This should answer your question. For every day this continues in Africa at these rates the potential becomes greater there and will spill over globally. To what extent in other countries is very much dependent upon that countries healthcare infrastructure (which as we have seen can be overwhelmed initially , or I hope only initially) the situation in West Africa and it will not be exclusive if it it continues to spread across all of Africa.
Hopefully, there will be no mistakes moving forward here or in other countries but if West Africa is not brought under control we will all be dealing with this for some time. It is a zoonotic virus and that as broader implications to the fear of it becoming endemic to various ecological niches across the globe resulting in clusters of outbreaks. Other zoonotic pathogens can spread efficiently between people once introduced from an animal reservoir, leading to localized outbreaks (eg, Ebola virus) or global spread (what we want to avoid with this current outbreak)(the flu and what they want to avoid with bird flu, we saw it go in 1918 ). I use the flu example because it is what most people keep trying to relate this to even though it is different than ebola the scenario from a global ebola outbreak. With the flu we have herd immunity, we do not have that with ebola which stems from natural immunity the US does not have or they build from vaccinations (controversial issue these days. Anyway, hope this helps answer your question. My apologies if I am completely off from what you asked.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=

www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=

another model from CDC: Current projections on the further spread of the virus using the Ebola Response modelling tool developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that, without increased prevention measures, the virus could infect up to 1.4 million people in West Africa by January 2015. www.cdc.gov...
edit on 18-10-2014 by bella2256 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
I believe he was treated and released. No hospital can turn patients away because they have no insurance or are not a citizen. He had a low grade fever and was given antibiotics and told to go home. That's not the same as being turned away. a reply to: AuranVector

25 Sept 2014, Thursday, after 10pm, Duncan walked into the ER of Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.
The official Hospital statement is:

“Mr. Duncan presented with a temperature of 100.1F, abdominal pain for two days, a sharp headache, and decreased urination. These symptoms could be associated with many communicable diseases, as well as many other types of illness. When he was asked whether he had nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, he said no. Additionally, Mr. Duncan’s symptoms were not severe at the time he first visited the hospital emergency department.”

dfw.cbslocal.com...

Personally, I think the hospital is lying to cover its *$$ – lawsuit city. The ER nurse was supposed to ask him if he had been outside the US in the last four weeks. A hospital official said that Duncan did not “fully communicate” that he had been in Liberia just days before. I find this difficult to believe.

See the 29 page ATS thread, “Ebola, inside information” by “jadedANDcynical” in the “Gray Area” forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I haven’t read it yet, but I’m sure it’s full of interesting details not covered by the MSM.

Of course, the hospital is NOT going to say in public that they were looking for a way to get rid of him (a foreigner with no insurance). I believe they intentionally minimized the seriousness of Duncan’s symptoms, so they could get rid of him quickly. Obviously, they were not prepped for Ebola, or a red flag would have shot up in their minds when Duncan said he had been in “Africa” days before.

In my mind, when an ER patient (who has admitted to having just come from Liberia days before and is exhibiting some symptoms consistent with the beginning stages of Ebola) is merely given antibiotics and sent home, this is NOT the same thing as being "treated."

The hospital staff who saw Duncan was grossly incompetent in this case. It's obvious they were clueless as to what to do with a potential Ebola victim. It's also obvious they're lying to cover up their unpreparedness and mishandling of Duncan.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HighProfile

By adding Ebola to the system, the number of deaths will increase. The flu contributes to deaths, catching the flu at the same time as Ebola will increase the incidences of deaths. Do you blame the increased deaths on the flu or do you blame them on Ebola.

I have an immune system that seems to fight the flu well, but I react badly to the flu vaccines because of this same immune system. Now, I may or may not be able to quickly kill off the Ebola virus. Even if I had natural immunity to it I would prefer that this disease was not spread. I am loosing friends to many illnesses and accidents, I kind of want to have people I know around for a while yet. I want to see their kids and grandkids grow up and laugh with them later at the dumb mistakes we all made over the years.

Another six months to learn to fight this disease better would be nice. It is better to restrict the spread of this disease to give us more time.

edit on 18-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

HI CnJ, I always enjoy your posts. I can't keep up but know you will be on top of things, so I pay attention. You just mentioned Akron, Ohio? Am I behind?

…we don't handle dead bodies the same way here as they do there, so here is finally one substantial difference between America and Africa in regards to this outbreak.

So, four of the five conditions largely responsible for the size of the outbreak also occur here.

Just exactly how much better will we handle Ebola than Africa?

We might make up for that lack by handling the patient more before they die. The procedures to preserve life at all costs directly caused the two nurses to contract the virus from Duncan, imo. In Africa, they handle the body more after death, here we handle it more to keep the patient alive before death.

Do the two 'procedures' create a venue for Ebola? Do the differences in your fifth point erode in that light?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Am I mistaken, or is the general sentiment expressed here that ATSers want the federal government to clamp down on their freedoms? Ebola is very real and extremely fatal, but it is not as communicable as the fear mongers want you to believe. Travel advisories are all that is needed here. People should be free to evaluate risks on their own.

There is a trend happy with quarantines and bans , its odd that eh? I think I'd trust your judgement overall and I hope you're right about communicability . The map is not the territory nor are charts or maths the only determinators of reality or probability . What's troubling though is you saying during the thread that one is more likely to get aids than ebola - and I've seen the chart you sampled too. Is it an entirely different kind of 'direct contact' which spreads ebola though?
On that sliding comparison scale though is that fact its very similar to aids in transmissibility , as in ,very easy to transmit given the right 'conditions' of direct contact . Also a dichotomy is the timescale of infection - hiv is spread by a carrier for up to 7 years before it kills them - so is it that ebola is highly contagious but only for a short time during the suffering before and after death ? Thereby being more dangerous to med staff than the public ( at least for now ?)
I think atsers generally for whatever their own reasons actually want to know the points where the proverbial shtf , even
you djw!?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

www.theguardian.com...

www.informationisbeautiful.net...

This chart does not give good reason for undue hopes - hopsitals have not had decent rack records in keeping norovirus at bay , nor mrsa , both of which are apparently LESS infectious than ebola .
MOR
The chart even apparently confirms ebola to be MORE infectious than swine flu , and similar in infectiousness to the seasonal flus .

Not good in anyone's countries not less the world , or inside hospitals . It's not numbers in 'beds' that's the general populace which gets 'superbugs' in hospitals .
edit on 18-10-2014 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

AKRON, Ohio -- Ebola patient Amber Joy Vinson was in Tallmadge planning her own wedding this weekend and shopped for bridesmaid dresses at a bridal shop in Akron; now her fiancé of three months is self-monitoring for Ebola symptoms in Dallas.

Ebola Amber in Akron, Ohio

Regards to your point about handling a body more pruor to death is well made. That might indeed offset that difference.

When I keep hoping that someone will prove me wrong to my satisfaction, this isn't the kind of thing I had in mind.

Thank you for the feedback!

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

You do not understand how to read the chart.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

You're reading it wrong...

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thank you for the feedback!

No problem. You give me pause to think.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
You pair can offer nothing but flat denial ?
and

I owe you both one .
I appreciate trying to suddenly order the usual chaos is the last thing The West wants to (have to) do . Its almost a shame we haven't got the old communist era like soviet russia , as they might have been able to lock things and people down adequately . Hay Hoe ...
Let's hope it blows through quickly or The Lord have mercy Sirs

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

More people in America have died of gunshot wounds in the past hour than have died of Ebola in America since the crisis began. Which poses the greater danger? How much freedom are we going to surrender out of fear? Ebola is nearly always fatal but is not spreading nearly as fast as gun violence. Are you beginning to get it yet?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

More people in America have died of gunshot wounds in the past hour than have died of Ebola in America since the crisis began. Which poses the greater danger? How much freedom are we going to surrender out of fear? Ebola is nearly always fatal but is not spreading nearly as fast as gun violence. Are you beginning to get it yet?

Your ignorance is baffling. If you had a college degree I would be shocked. Go to College and take a logic course. You will then find out that thing you call a good argument is a red herring and does not apply to this discussion. Quit focusing on the numbers now and focus on what kind of numbers we will be seeing in the future.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FerronMelwick

Your ignorance is baffling. If you had a college degree I would be shocked. Go to College and take a logic course. You will then find out that thing you call a good argument is a red herring and does not apply to this discussion. Quit focusing on the numbers now and focus on what kind of numbers we will be seeing in the future.

Arguing from simple extrapolation is a genuine fallacy!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Gun crimes ? At the speed of instituting sensibilities ...
Ya I got it and I'm not about to shoot my gob off either . This user is no terrorist !
And thanks for the advice as usual 100% sound .

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
so.......... im guessing all the ATS hysteria.... was just hysteria?

shocking.

Lets get back to posting about aliens.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Doesn't matter, you still read the chart wrong.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thread drift.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join