It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP set to seize the Senate

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Frith

That's something liberals have managed to do that conservatives have not. Allow for differences of opinion and governance without adhering to a strict code that requires all followers to have the same exact ideas of how things should be done.

That doesn't seem believable at first glance. And your own statements contradict it.

In the House, the Republicans have the "Establishment leadership" group, the "Tea Party" group and a very large number that flow back and forth. There was talk of a rebellion against Speaker Boehner. The idea that conservatives don't allow for differences of opinions seems wildly wrong.

And in the Senate, you said that there really aren't any radical Democrats. That certainly sounds like their opinions are narrow, especially compared to Republicans which also have some radicals mixed in with their everyday members.

Which Democrat Senator voted against Obamacare? (Sorry, rhetorical question, there weren't any.) Which Democrat Senator has shown loud opposition to anything that Obama thought was important?

The post confuses me.

With respect,
charles1952

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Sorry, damwel, that's what we're getting now from Obama.

The median income for a family in America is falling, income inequality is going up, and if you divide tax payers into ten groups, the top 10%, the next 10%, and so on, you'll find that the only group whose income is going up is the top 10%

Why would Republicans want to follow Obama's policies?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Because Obama is following republican policies?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Hi, again.

If Obama is following Republican policies and the Democrats are following Obama in their votes and procedures, doesn't that mean that the Democrats have no ideas of their own and are just willing to be Republican followers?

So, vote Republican, they're the people that admit they are Republican, and don't hide behind the false name of Democrat when they're really not.

Of course, your post might have been intended as humorous.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

In the House, the Republicans have the "Establishment leadership" group, the "Tea Party" group and a very large number that flow back and forth. There was talk of a rebellion against Speaker Boehner. The idea that conservatives don't allow for differences of opinions seems wildly wrong.

Isn't the dissatisfaction among congressional Republicans with Boehner that he isn't ideologically pure enough for them? They wanted to purge him to make way for someone who would do everything they demanded. That's not a group that finds differences acceptable.

And in the Senate, you said that there really aren't any radical Democrats. That certainly sounds like their opinions are narrow, especially compared to Republicans which also have some radicals mixed in with their everyday members.

The U.S. Senate is where one usually sees less radical members. There is no districting for U.S. Senators other than their state boundaries. As most blue states are more or less purple in color when it comes to actual voting moderates are favored in such races.

Which Democrat Senator voted against Obamacare? (Sorry, rhetorical question, there weren't any.) Which Democrat Senator has shown loud opposition to anything that Obama thought was important?

Why do you feel the need to pepper me with these types of questions? Can you not perform any research yourself? If I must respond I remember this year U.S. Senate Democrats balked at one of Obama's judicial nominees and voiced their concerns over this nominee's anti-freedom positions.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
18 pages of meaningless politics with no end in sight. Guohua should get a job as a Republican radio host. She's fantastic at starting these threads. She riles people up with sensationalism and intermittently throws in "hey guys calm down" and some random music videos from YouTube. Anyone seeing a disconnect? I must be insane I guess.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

That's something liberals have managed to do that conservatives have not. Allow for differences of opinion and governance without adhering to a strict code that requires all followers to have the same exact ideas of how things should be done.

That Statement is Pure Bull Sh$t! If that was true, for one, you won't be for Gun Control, like that would take the Gun's From The Thug's.
Liberal's and Large Government.

Let's take a look at what someone that lives with the Democrat's Big Government way of life and see what she thinks.

There is a “moral bankruptcy” that’s settled into leadership of America in the White House and throughout Washington, D.C., Dr. Alveda King—the niece of Martin Luther King, Jr.—said in an interview Friday morning.

In an interview, Innis—whose father Roy Innis has led the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), one of the major organizations behind the Civil Rights movement, since 1968—said that progressive and big government policies have created a “welfare state that has largely not only destroyed the black and increasingly so Latino—and American family generally—they have killed the types of incentives that had led people to achieve and build a better life for themselves.”
“You can have opportunity right in front of your door but you're terrified to open it because you’re a victim,” Innis said. “So those two realities that you have now since a leviathan of the federal government that is trying to fashion itself as a cradle-to-grave big daddy government—going to take care of you from cradle to grave and give you all sorts of disincentives to climbing that economic ladder, and by the way if you do climb that economic ladder they’re going to punish you punitively with taxes that are going to undermine you."
"If you dare want to open up a business, they’re going to cripple you with regulations and taxes and they’re going to make it easier for you to be a rational human being and just get government benefits rather than being a liberated individual who can climb that economic ladder," he continued. "So you have that real but not concrete phenomenon of big government mentality crippling you and then you have on a parallel track victimization syndrome overriding it that says—you pick the minority—‘you are a victim and you are the underdog so you can never achieve.’ That is a dangerous recipe and it is a recipe that has dominated urban centers for more than 50 years and what we’re trying to do is liberate them.”
King said that economic indicators show that during Obama’s presidency, things have gotten dramatically worse for black Americans.
“The data is going to indicate black people lost out in every single leading economic category during the Obama years,” King told Breitbart News, noting that liberal commentator Tavis Smiley agrees with her and that they’re not trying to “demonize” or “cast aspersions” on Obama, but the truth needs to be told. “That’s terrible. There’s nothing that’s been done to enhance our lives but there’s all sorts of things that were done to [give us stuff] like free access to abortion, free birth control in a healthcare clinic. But that’s nothing that’s going to help us economically, intellectually, physically health-wise and otherwise—there’s nothing being done for us. Black home ownership is 31 percent less than the rest of the country. Poverty rates have increased from 12 percent to 16.1 percent. Income for blacks is $20,000 less than the national average. Thirty-five percent of young blacks are out of work.”
That’s just the beginning of the black community’s woes under Obama, she said. Education, immigration, and health concerns are abound too.

Link
Sure, Liberals give ya a lot of Freedoms,,,,, What they think a Nanny Government should Allow! Get inline for your Bread Rations and have your housing issued to you, next they'll want to tell you how many kids you can have,,,, gee, Welcome to my old home country, China!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Well,,,, then if it bothers you that bad, and you don't like the music or my humor, stay home, your not providing anything worth while other than Hate and a little Jealousy.
It's so sad to see a Obama supporter that knows he and his Messiah are in their last days.
Here he is doing everything in his power to discredit the OP instead of the Thread.

Come back when you've learned to take Responsibility and can attack something other than Me,I enjoy music, friendship, pictures and jokes, things you don't understand or you can't grasp yet because of your Hate for anything that is not what you think it should be or how others should think, correspondence or just exchange thoughts.

I've read your post that you've written about me in my other threads, and you lack, understand for a foreign thinking mind, you lack compassion and you lack any understanding other people other than your own small group.
I did not appreciate your comments about me, So please keep your comments to yourself or in your on thread, I don't have any desire to hear them.

edit on 19-10-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: guohua

I don't hate you. I hate what you're doing. There is a huge difference. I don't hate anyone and never have. I've disliked people and had disagreements with people but I've never hated a single person. I don't know why I bother saying so since no one who doesn't know me in real life will believe me but the people who know me already do and that's what I care about. I've never screwed someone over for my own advancement. I've never put myself before someone intentionally. Everything I've ever done wrong was due to immaturity and ignorance. I've never ever been malicious in my whole life.

Jealousy. Hehe sure. I'm not here to make friends or to validate my views. I'm here to learn from a wide variety of viewpoints and sources. I'm here to improve my abilities to express myself. I'm here to play devils advocate and challenge people's thoughtless adherence to certain positions. I sure have my own issues with that but I'm never completely locked in. I'm still growing and learning while you are already set in stone, or so it seems since I've yet to see anything different from you. Prove me wrong by breaking your own mold. I'll applaud you for it.

I see I managed to improve your spelling at least. I'm doubtful of being able to teach you anything else but I refuse to back down from my position. More polarization helps nothing. Both parties are complete failures so backing one or the other without question is as counterproductive as it gets.

I'm not an Obama supporter.

I'm not a Democrat.

I think both parties are so obsessed with polarized viewpoints that compromise is impossible.

The inability to compromise is why are country is where it is. You are furthering these ultra polarized divisions.

What foreign thinking mind are you referring to? All I see is an American Republican corrupted by propaganda.

Which small group am I part of exactly? Because I'm not part of any specific group. I'm my own person and I think for myself, right or wrong. You just spout Republican hard-line propaganda.

I don't hate you at all. As I've said numerous times in various threads I'm sure you are a decent person in real life. Most people are pretty decent in their own little bubbles.

I just find fault in what you do on here. All you ever do is start polarizing sensationalist threads. You have expressed nothing at all except run of the mill thoughtless Republican views. That's no better than the Democrat version but I haven't seen anybody that does what you do on ATS for Democrats but I haven't been here long so I'm sure I'll run into it at some point. When I do, I'll say the same thing.

If you don't appreciate my comments ignore them. I'm as free to speak as you are. You started the thread but you don't own it. The fact that you constantly respond to me and attack me shows that you don't want to ignore me. You absolutely love the attention from me and other detractors. You also love the support you get from your like minded friends when someone like me attacks you. You have yet to take the high road once, not that I'm some kind of saint either. At least I'm not starting pointless threads like the ones you start.

If you want to have Republican circle jerks with no opposite viewpoints start a blog. There's plenty of your kind out there, just like there are plenty of Democrats that do the same.

Oh also feel free to post in forums where I can't attack you as I've suggested numerous times. I know you aunt thigh because then you'd have to be thoughtful, well spoken, and civil. I'll say again prove me wrong. I look forward to seeing a well researched and well written thread that meets ATS standards for any forum outside this one. I'm not holding my breath for it though.
edit on 19-10-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Yeah and the sop of the right is to blame everything on the left.

Truly that is laughable, on ATS the standing joke has become the left's claim thats it's all Bush's fault. Even after 6 years in office it's Bush's fault the country is in the shape it is. Like children cry "he did it" has gotten old beyond pale. Someone has to accept responsibility for the failures and scandals of today, and the fact no one will campaign with the Obama is the left assigning that responsibility to the president. He has now been relegated to chief money grubber in charge. His appointment of Ron Klain just further enhances the chances of a senate takeover.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

So much like it was ridiculous for hardcore Democrats to ride Bush all day every day regardless of the issue at hand. Isn't the reverse also true? Both presidents are merely puppets. Both will be remembered by history as failures. Let's focus on real issues rather than blame game BS. Both sides have merits, compromise is the way forward.

I could argue any which way on Bush vs Obama. I choose to do neither as neither is constructive.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

I'm not an Obama supporter.

I'm not a Democrat.

No but what you are is self absorbed young person without the lifes experiences to make valued decisions. You want to blame the best system on the planet for all the woes of the world and your short comings. When you know in reality it's all about you and your problems and your inability to overcome them. As I have told you in other threads quit whining and go out and do something with your life, quit blaming the rich, corporations, and the government. Your success is based on your inaction not the action of others. How could I accept what you say when you are not managing your own life and want to claim to have the answers to manage the worlds problems. No one hates you, we only dislike the view you have that is holding you back.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

First of all, your quote encompasses too much material with no comment. You're just throwing up a wall of words.

Second, Breitbart.com is well-known as a right-wing partisan hack fest. If you're trying to give a reference that more than about 1/3 of your audience might respect, you may want to look a little further for a bit more objectivity.

Third, do you actually track the actions and antics of the King Children? I live in Atlanta, so I can't avoid it; they're known to be money-hungry, grasping brats who have actually tried to copyright King's "I Have A Dream" speech and license its use, who regularly put their father's relics and legacies up for sale to the highest bidder, etc.

Fourth, do you think because she carries the King name she is somehow iconic or representative of liberals as a whole? Why would you think that? Do they all look alike to you?

Fifth, Ms. King is hardly liberal but is rather a rabid religionist, here's a bit more context for her quote:

“They’re not calling on God. We still stay ‘In God We Trust’ and ‘One Nation Under God’ but we’re not practicing that. We need to call on God. There’s a moral bankruptcy in this country and we really need to come back to God.”

No thank you. Ms. King has been, at best, tokenized by the Religious Right.

Sixth, everyone loves political cartoons; very few take them seriously as evidence in a discussion.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Interesting take Marlin.

Should you recommend in turn, that since many Republicans are self-absorbed and arrogant older folks, that they might try for a bit of perspective that their opinions are not the only ones in existence and try to understand where others are coming from, once in a while, just for a change-up? And what are the majority of Republicans, Libertarians and Tea Partiers blaming for the world's woes lately? That's right, the American system. Should the teapot be reintroduced to the kettle do you think?

And speaking of selfishness and whining, when are Republicans doing to do anything but blame Obama. What happens when the man is no longer in office? My goodness if "it's Bush's fault" is a joke, how much more ludicrous is the response "Thanks Obama" for everything from mosquitos to Ebola? I mean really, how can you say any of this with a straight face?

It's so easy to glare down at the folks coming after you and spew the equivalent of "get a job, Hippie!" but the reality is, the economy and job markets are a much, much different place than when you and I were coming along. Mumbling the old-saw about pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps is tired and lonely as a comment.

HOWEVER,

I absolutely agree with you that each and every one of us would benefit from stopping "the blame game." That achieves absolutely nothing positive in our lives or in any other. Also, it's great advice to give (and to take) to recognize that our own actions are about the only thing that are really going to make any difference at all in our lives.

So, credit where credit is due.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Interesting take Marlin.

Should you recommend in turn, that since many Republicans are self-absorbed and arrogant older folks, that they might try for a bit of perspective that their opinions are not the only ones in existence and try to understand where others are coming from, once in a while, just for a change-up? And what are the majority of Republicans, Libertarians and Tea Partiers blaming for the world's woes lately? That's right, the American system. Should the teapot be reintroduced to the kettle do you think?

LOL are you calling me a self absorbed arrogant republican older folk? Hey I earned that. lol

My lifes experiences are my grand father was self employed as was my uncle, father, myself, and my 30 year son. All did well for themselves and continue to do so when alive, and that would be me and the snot nose brat for a son. My other grandparents were millionaires from buying property as factory workers for more than 40 years and were born into cotton picking in the south. Aunts & uncles with several backgrounds in employment and companies. It was an embarrassment to take any government help, I would have been chastised for sure. I rode my bike to the jobsite at 14 and pulled wire for a elec. contractor. So when todays kids want to tell me how tough it is, look it up, I have a family photo in the dictionary.

In todays world tavi45 gets on me for complaining about illegals, I don't complain for me I made my way, I complain, write letters, maintain a blog, for him, my kid, and hopefully my future grandkids, and this generation. The illegals don't walk 1000, 500, 100, or even 10 miles for a minimum wage job they do it for the opportunity that exist, the ones the whining millennials say aren't there anymore. I know illegals that have made it, legals that have made it, I have a Russian friend that left Russia with 50 bucks to come here and 14 years later has more money than my family combined. Great guy nice person too, they all have a different mindset. I am not saying it's easy, but it is still possible if you get over the poor me attitude. If you can't then whine to someone that will listen, stay at home get your government check and get out of the way who want to do something with their life. Apply a label to that they don't bother me, I operate from common sense the original GOP made sense to me at one time but they as of late act like dems.

And speaking of selfishness and whining, when are Republicans doing to do anything but blame Obama. What happens when the man is no longer in office? My goodness if "it's Bush's fault" is a joke, how much more ludicrous is the response "Thanks Obama" for everything from mosquitos to Ebola? I mean really, how can you say any of this with a straight face?

Tell me who else is there to blame? After terrible years of calling Bush every name in the book, with media support, and never having an administration in my lifetime with this many scandals, yes I blame the leader of the free world. As the left and the MSM beat up Bush it acts to discredit us as a nation. If Bush had his faults and deserved it then Obama by far should be blasted at every turn. Even his partisan MSM is abandoning him as they are being sacrificed at the altar of political correctness, and presidential optics. Reading their press releases before release? Oh yeah he has been the worst in my lifetime. Nixon and watergate is a Sunday school teacher compared to Obama. What is the scandal count now a days?He is even guilty of everything Bush did, with the exception of killing an American by drone without a trial he has that distinction on his own.

It's so easy to glare down at the folks coming after you and spew the equivalent of "get a job, Hippie!" but the reality is, the economy and job markets are a much, much different place than when you and I were coming along. Mumbling the old-saw about pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps is tired and lonely as a comment.

As I said it's not easy, and not everyone has the drive and desire to go beyond a job making barebones I don't complain about them, why do they complain about me? There never has been and never will be income equality unless you're in a communist country where bus drivers make the same as a doctor, but just like the government elite here they have them as well. This isn't about bootstraps it's about getting to the level you want and earning it by hard work and smarts, not whining and getting the government to take it from someone else and giving it to you.

HOWEVER,

I absolutely agree with you that each and every one of us would benefit from stopping "the blame game." That achieves absolutely nothing positive in our lives or in any other. Also, it's great advice to give (and to take) to recognize that our own actions are about the only thing that are really going to make any difference at all in our lives.

So, credit where credit is due.

You are so right its the limitations we place on ourselves that hold us back. One of the things that I so admire about artist is their ability to never think with 3 colors and a single subject, they just let go and think of the myriad of possibilities. If I had that gift with business wow where I could go maybe I could give gates a run for his money.

Thanks for the civility it was nice

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Lol. I have very few problems. I spent ten years being a naive pissed off young person. I'm now a successful contributing member of society with everything going right for me. I overcame my problems with support from friends and family but primarily through my own work.

I still lack a bachelor's degree but have run my own business for 2 years now as well as working for a franchise whose local owner hired me after I ran another nearby one completely on my own with no help or resources after my boss died suddenly of undetected stage 4 brain cancer. His wife abandoned her husband's legacy, sold off his property and ran away with his massive life insurance payout leaving me to run the fledgling business on my own with no help. She still collected the profit from me and actually refused to pay me or my staff (including high school kids) for the last two weeks. I didn't sue anyone. I didn't scream injustice. I accepted what life threw at me and moved on with optimism and pride in my heart.

So again tell me I'm a selfish whiner. I'm a hardworking individual who complains not for himself but for everyone. If you look around a bit, I've argued all different viewpoints and issues. I've admitted mistakes. I've accepted the views of others but continually beg people to try and understand the other side and stop infighting like the elite want.

America is not the greatest country. Our system is not the greatest system. The idea that we are infallible and better than everyone else is pure propaganda. Our system is failing now. Just look around. The Land of the Free has the highest incarceration rate on planet Earth. We put Russia and China to shame on that. The Home of the Brave is wallowing in utter fear. We fear everything, just watch the news. Ebola and ISIS have people completely frothing for drastic actions. We've been sacrificing freedom for comfort and security for years now.

So again attack me all you want. I'm not some oppressed underclass on welfare railing against the rich. I am one of the rich. I live in a bastion of Wall Street wealth. My house is worth well over a million. My sister dated the son of one of the wealthiest CEOs in the nation. My relatives are by and large millionaires. My own father could probably buy your house in cash Marlee.

So tell me how I'm selfish for wanting every human being on Earth to enjoy the peace and prosperity I do. Please I would love to know how I'm self serving by fighting for equality. All I want is for people to stop blaming reach other for the problems that arise from our flawed system. The America we have now is absolutely nothing like the founding fathers envisioned. We've fallen for every single trap they warned us about. We've allowed a small group of moneyed interests to hijack our nation. This was the nightmare of all our founding fathers. They feared this would happen and they would be disgusted by how many Americans defend such an un American system.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

YOUR FAMILY'S STORY

That's a great story Marlin! Almost a perfect example of the traditional "anyone can make it in America" tale!

But let me make a guess that you're probably older than 50 right? So that would mean your parents and grandparents accomplished all that in the ... what, 30s, 40s, 50s?

As I said, that was a different world, economically. Young folks today simply do not have those opportunities.

BLAME OBAMA, BLAME BUSH, BLAME IT ON THE RAIN ...

So ... as long as we're blaming someone, we're okay? It's obvious you really despise Obama. Fair enough.

But pointless blame is pointless blame.

I GOT MINE, THEY CAN DANG SHURE GET THEIRS, EXCEPT ...

I've lived my whole life by my wits and hard work. And you know what, far more than one time, I worked hard, I worked smart, and things still fell apart. Industry and opportunity has been transferred out of this country for 30 or 40 years, so that the rich can get richer. In the time that you're talking about, your grandparents, parents and even you, business owners took responsibility in their communities, as part of the community, and understood that if people had jobs, and made money, they would be able to afford the goods and/or services that the businesses offered.

Those businesses are gone, the framework for you to do what you did and for me to do what I did for that matter is gone.

CIVILITY ROCKS

You're welcome; I usually try to give what I get.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Dear guohua,

You made a good effort. I'm really sorry to see the thread derailed so badly by those who have become overheated about politics.

You quoted a simple statement from a solidly Left news site. That's attacked and criticized. Then you quote from Breitbart and that's attacked and criticized. I've been shown in this thread, and a few others, that people aren't really concerned about where the story comes from or who wrote it. If they don't like the story, then it's false. If they do like it, then it's true.

All of the GMO studies are false, because the scientists were all bribed. The studies showing no global warming is taking place are the results of all of the scientists being bribed. It's really sad to see the attacks on you and your simple story.

This could have been a decent discussion. Almost every pollster out there, Left or Right, says the Republicans are the favorites to win the Senate. That shouldn't be hard to grasp, but for some reason it is.

A few questions have come up, such as how much additional power would this give the Republicans, how might it be used, etc. It would be worthwhile to explore these issues. Instead, we get people saying that Clinton had surpluses while Bush didn't. First, if Clinton didn't have deficits, why did the national debt go up every year he was in office? Of course he had deficits. The only way you can get a Clinton surplus happens if you play with what numbers get counted, and how things are defined.

But, more important, who cares about Clinton's supposed deficits? This is 14 years later, no voter will be worried about that.

But instead of a serious, relevant discussion, we get anger, name-calling, and talking points from the 2008 election. As I said, it's sad to see an opportunity for serious discussion get chopped up, but maybe there's still a little life left in this thread.

Let's see.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

I think what many of us are trying to point out in this thread is that it's very well possible that the GOP takes the senate in the upcoming election, but a win for the GOP will not, in turn, automatically result in any real changes in the government that we would like to see.

I find that a majority of us actually do agree that there are many problems that we must resolve and we frequently agree on a solution, but we tend to bicker about definitions and who's to blame. That's sad, but to find a solution we must first recognize there is a problem and find out where it is coming from.

Anyway, would you agree that a GOP takeover of the senate does not necessarily mean we will see favorable results, and if so, that we need to look for alternatives to the same old Dem or Rep?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Dear sheepslayer247,

(By the way, when did I lose the title of "Voice of Reason?" I suppose recent episodes did it.)

To answer your direct question first, I do agree that a GOP takeover of the senate does not necessarily mean we will see favorable results.

I do not agree that we need to look for alternatives to the same old Dem or Rep.

Here's my thinking. The Senate still has filibuster rules in place. The Republicans will have nowhere near the numbers needed to stop a filibuster. Second, I believe that Obama will pull out the pen he threatened executive action with, and start writing "veto" all over the place. Whatever the bill is he will say:

"My fellow Americans, I am sad to report to you that your Congress is still ineffectual. They knew that I would veto this bill yet they spent time on it anyway, time they could have spent working on jobs and the economy. This is a terrible bill because it (whatever the opponents of the bill said it would do), and I have to protect you, my fellow Americans from the disgusting greed of a party bent on destroying this country and your livelihood."

Further, we can usually count on Snowe and Murkowski to vote with the Democrats if there's enough incentive. So, no, I don't expect a lot, especially since it's the run-up to 2016 and the only goal of the government will be executive action and trying to make the Republicans look bad.

Third party? That's a really old discussion. I don't care about the principle, but I think we've seen that it's easier to gather a group of disgruntled voters and work from within a party. A parliamentary system has been proposed, but I don't have strong feelings on that either. A third party takes time to grow, and while it's growing it takes support from it's nearest major party. A Green Party getting 10% of the vote would guarantee Republican victory.

Oh, and this:

I find that a majority of us actually do agree that there are many problems that we must resolve and we frequently agree on a solution, but we tend to bicker about definitions and who's to blame. That's sad, but to find a solution we must first recognize there is a problem and find out where it is coming from.

I wonder if I understand you, because that doesn't seem to be my experience. Problems in Foreign Affairs? Sure, but one side says ignore the rest of the world, bring everybody home. Another side says violence is growing throughout the world and we have to help control it, just as we are doing with Ebola.

Agreement on Immigration? On gun control? On abortion? On the approaching bankruptcy of Social Security? The trustees are predicting insolvency by 2033, 19 years away. For the past four years, it's been paying out more than it's taking in. Agreed on Common Core? But you get the idea.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join