It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belize says NO to sick US citizens

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkJS
from reference in OP:

The ship is reportedly carrying 3652 passengers and a total population of 4633 persons.

So when the ship returns to home port in Galveston, we're just gonna tell all 4633 people to 'self monitor'? Plan worked splendidly so far.

I am scheduled to work that day and am giving *serious* consideration to calling in as we often get cruise ship passengers in our restaurant after they get back to port.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

"Dallas Lab Worker Quarantined Cruise Ship"
link
edit on 17-10-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

link

Again, they say she has no symptoms.

Why would she decide to quarantine herself mid-cruise?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Hire the Belize guy to be the head of the CDC.

Cute. But he's a politician.

If ppl were seriously thinking of that, I would nominate Dr. Kent Brantly, who dealt with Ebola in the field, had Ebola, and is now on the other side of it.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Even Mexico doesn't want Ebola to enter their country:

The cruise ship carrying a Texas health-care worker who “may have” handled lab specimens from Dallas Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan is headed back to the United States after Mexican authorities failed to grant permission for the ship to dock off the coast of Cozumel, according to a Carnival spokeswoman.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Why are we taking them back?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

from reference in OP:

The ship is reportedly carrying 3652 passengers and a total population of 4633 persons.

So when the ship returns to home port in Galveston, we're just gonna tell all 4633 people to 'self monitor'? Plan worked splendidly so far.

But to be fair, I may be wrong but heard that she is a lab worker. If so, why then would a lab worker be exposed to Ebola? And why would she even be thinking of self monitoring?

Maybe something happened in the lab we are not being told??? That is odd though, because she's supposedly not even a lab peon. She's a supervisor. Most supervisors, do just that, supervise unless there is an issue. WAS there an issue we are not being made aware of? Why are they making it seem as if the entire 70+ nurses who worked on his care are now all of a sudden on lock down???

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biotech2024

originally posted by: ShadowChatter
I really can't blame Belize for being concerned ,,,if Ebola goes airborne , the Trade Winds will carry it directly towards them from the Ebola infected areas...

It could go airbone indirectly by using intermediary host like migratory birds that travel from the Africa to Americas.

Direct sunlight would denature proteins and bombard it's genetic code destroying it. So direct air travel is unlikely.

In December, a Purdue University science team presented new research that links Ebola with birds. According to the study, the outer protein shell of filoviruses, such as Ebola, have a biochemical structure similar to retroviruses carried by birds, making a common evolutionary origin more likely.

"There can be no doubt now that an ancestral virus had a shell that evolved to become the shells of the Ebola virus and bird retroviruses," said David Sanders, the professor who headed the research team.

Sanders stresses that his discovery does not prove that birds are the natural reservoir for Ebola. But it makes them more plausible hosts. The prospect of migratory birds carrying Ebola has obvious health implications.

Some scientists already worry that Ebola could mutate and become airborne. Recent outbreaks have suggested it can evolve on its own. All the Ebola subtypes have shown the ability to be spread through airborne particles under research conditions. One strand, Ebola-Reston, may have been transmitted from monkey to monkey through the air in a Virginia science lab. So far there have been no similar transmissions involving humans.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Staroth

link

Again, they say she has no symptoms.

Why would she decide to quarantine herself mid-cruise?

I'm curious about that myself.
Was she found out? Did someone rat on her?
Did the powers that be track her down?
Did she get sick and decide she wanted help so she had to come clean?

I wonder where the other 70 or so self quarantined health care workers are vacationing.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

Songbirds travel between Africa and Americas

m.livescience.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Source

As stated previously in the thread, the Ministry of Health in Belize released a statement claiming she was in fact showing symptoms. And stood by it.

Only our media is reporting her as symptomless.

“Confirmed with representatives of the Ministry of Health that they have indeed received a report that there is at least one passenger on board the cruise ship, Carnival Magic, showing symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus. According to the report made to MOH, the person exhibiting the symptoms did not come ashore today. The ship is reportedly carrying 3652 passengers and a total population of 4633 persons."

How could they possibly know about it if she wasn't?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It really is astounding the way the sole superpower on Earth has dealt with the one case of Ebola they had. A true outbreak like in Africa would have the US collapse in months just because of sheer stupidity and incompetence.

God forbid what a true biological weapon might do. I'm sure the US' enemies are taking notice. Ebola is a killer, but it's relatively easy to contain. The leadership in the US is either ignorant, retarded, or is doing s#t on purpose.

And why in the hell are planes still coming out of Africa and borders open? F#k aliens, this is a real threat to the planet if not handled right.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

from reference in OP:

But to be fair, I may be wrong but heard that she is a lab worker. If so, why then would a lab worker be exposed to Ebola? And why would she even be thinking of self monitoring?

Maybe something happened in the lab we are not being told??? That is odd though, because she's supposedly not even a lab peon. She's a supervisor. Most supervisors, do just that, supervise unless there is an issue. WAS there an issue we are not being made aware of? Why are they making it seem as if the entire 70+ nurses who worked on his care are now all of a sudden on lock down???

Not sure what lab experience you have but I have a few years under my belt and supervisors do indeed get there hands dirty with there minions, especially in high work volume labs .

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It's called collateral damage, unfortunately. A star and flag for Dean Barrow.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JG1993
Source

As stated previously in the thread, the Ministry of Health in Belize released a statement claiming she was in fact showing symptoms. And stood by it.

“Confirmed with representatives of the Ministry of Health that they have indeed received a report that there is at least one passenger on board the cruise ship, Carnival Magic, showing symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus. According to the report made to MOH, the person exhibiting the symptoms did not come ashore today. The ship is reportedly carrying 3652 passengers and a total population of 4633 persons."

I realized the same thing early this morning when this news was just beginning to break. THe first two reports i read from other countries were extremely detailed and both said she had self-quarantined because she started showing symptoms. THen as soon as news broke in the US, all of the outlets put out almost identical "memos" stating that she was no showing symptoms and hadnt for 17 days. The tones were completely different and downplayed the situation tremendously. I agree though for a "lab tech" the chance of exposure should have been extremely low unless something happened that we dont know about... which at this point would not surprise me one bit.

ETA i also dont think that they would be trying to bring her home so badly if she wasnt showing symptoms. I still would like to know how they plan on quarantining that many people when the ship finally does dock somewhere. The chance that she came into contact with ATLEAST one other person on that ship is really high... This is a big, big mess. *wraps body in tinfoil*
edit on 453127503pm31America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Found this small article Here that doesnt say much, but may offer some incite into why they feel a lab tech may have been exposed.

A nurse has leveled explosive allegations against Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, the facility where Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan died and at least two of the nurses treating him became infected. "We were unprepared in the sense that we did not know what to do with his lab specimens, they honestly mishandled, and that is what the lab technician told me, and it was just a little chaotic scene," nurse Brianna Aguirre said during an interview on Today.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
What's going on at Texas Health Presbyterian? Handle Ebola, then head out on vacation?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

You guys in the UK are spoiled for benefits and a nice ladder system help people out of poverty if the try.

Hey not my fault if the "good old" US of A is a dump with crapy social mobility. Hasn't been the UK fault or problem since 1776

Still none of us here can judge the couple in the OP financial spending. I see no conspiracy. They could have saved it, put it on a credit card, got savings, inheritance money ect

or they could have gotten workmans comp.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Belize acted responsibly. The welfare of one is less important than the welfare of a country. It sounds harsh, but it's the right thing to do. Belize is not equipped to handle the transport of the passenger safely.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JG1993
Source

If this is true, we need to quarantine 4633 people. FEMA camps … ?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

ETA i also dont think that they would be trying to bring her home so badly if she wasnt showing symptoms. I still would like to know how they plan on quarantining that many people when the ship finally does dock somewhere. The chance that she came into contact with ATLEAST one other person on that ship is really high... This is a big, big mess. *wraps body in tinfoil*

The restaurant I help mamage is on the other side of the island, so I won't be able to see much when it docks, but I have friends who work over in the Strand and in restaurants by the cruise ship terminals and will have them keep eyes open to see if there are any special procedures for when these people disembark.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join