It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn's moon Hyperion discharges into Cassini spacecraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Electric Universe supporters rejoice! NASA reports that, during a 2005 flyby of Saturn's moon Hyperion, Cassini became magnetically connected to the moon, which discharged electrons into the spacecraft. The finding is surprising, as the small but odd-looking moon was thought to be a simple inert object, which would not undergo any strong interactions with the Saturnian magnetosphere. Nevertheless, the team's analysis indicates that Cassini remotely detected a strongly negative voltage on Hyperion. It was rather like Cassini receiving a 200-volt electric shock from Hyperion, even though they were over 2,000 kilometers [1,200 miles] apart at the time.

NASA article: saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
ESA article: sci.esa.int...

It took them eight years to anounce that, hmm. I wonder if Rosetta's encounter with the comet Chury also produced such electric interaction, and how long will it be until we hear about it.

*puts his tinfoil hat on*

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

It's probably a spaceship.

wearing my tinfoil hat for Halloween

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What do I know about this subject(nothing), but there do seem to be a lot of different pointers to the electric universe theory and so it is probably hopefully only a matter of time before they tie all of these signs together and finally accept that many rilles, strange-shaped 'craters' etc are made by discharges rather than physical objects hitting a space rock. Not all of course, but at least some and that would open up the discussion to a lot more possibilities. It would not be necessary to bring aliens into the discussion either !

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Could be residual excess electron charge, with nothing close enough for it to discharge into the presence of the probe with a much more positive potential may have allowed this ark to have happened but over two thousand miles and still at 200 volt's means that was one hell of an electric arc.
Space static.
Interesting but given that potential differences throughout the solar system and especially in the highly energised orbit of saturn or jupiter this is not that surprising but is like I say nevertheless very interesting, S+F.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'd like to know why it took them 8 years to tell us.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: suz62

I don't think they have sat on the news for 8 years, but rather after an exhaustive study of data collected by various instruments has yielded these results. Depending on the amount of data and what they are looking for, there can be years worth of research.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

You're probably right. I didn't think of that.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

They seem to be quite clear in the article what they think it was - and not as the OP suggests, anything to do with "Electric Universe theory" - static build-up from cosmic and solar radiation.

Also, a 200 volt discharge is quite tiny. Probably another reason why it wasn't ever picked up until this recent study.
edit on 16/10/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: suz62

It also seems to be a new study, so they're just combing over old data and notice this tiny little spark from years ago that slipped attention.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
for those of us not knowledgeable on the topic of electric universe, would you please briefly explain how this phenomenon supports the theory? You do not have to be lengthy, just something to make me feel smarter about its significance.

πŸ”­πŸ“‘πŸŒ™βš‘

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

It implies that Hyperion had an electric potential different from Cassini's and that the potentials were equalized by an arc discharge. The suggestion is that Hyperion (and by extension all celestial objects) are electrically charged.

The OP is no EU cultist, by the way. And neither am I. But I'm sure AnarchCapitalist will be along soon to 'explain' it all.

edit on 16/10/14 by Astyanax because: of a suggestion.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I don't think it is any great shock that bodies carry charge - this has actually been expected and even says as much in the article - it's just the first time it's been observed anywhere other than our own planet or moon.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Of course. Case in point β€” the huge electric storm my girlfriend and I got caught in last night.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Yes it was a tiny charge but like I said at over 2000 mile's and still at 200 volt's, ok there is no where for any other charge to have dissipated but still, I have had three phase devices at far higher charge mere inches apart and no arc happened, space being a near vacuum should have also been a good if not insulator as far as electric charge is concerned.

Of course the sun is indeed blowing an electron and other particle rich solar wind so that could indeed explain part, then again it would seem therefore to be more likely that near the center of the solar system object's therefore should have a much higher negative potential but this is not the case so this may indicate a higher proton potential and that the sun therefore with the inner planet's are positively charged in relation to the outer planet's almost making the solar system like a giant atom with negative charge in a shell surrounding (maybe built up from the expanding electron rich solar wind that slow's as it expand's to encompass more volume with distance), but this incident is only one and it would require a massively expensive series of tests to find out.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

That's mental.

8 YEARS...not months, years.

Either they are the most incompetent bunch of amateurs they could get for peanut wages, or they were withholding the information for whatever reason they decided to...while there may be decades worth of data to pour over from the entire mission, it doesn't take almost a decade to see that the spacecraft was hit by an electrical discharge...not a chance.

The implication is obvious..by keeping this fairly innocuous data from the public for such a long time, it means any truly significant, paradigm shifting discoveries won't see the light of day probably for many decades, if ever.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Just because there is an electric interaction does not prove the crazy Electric Universe Theory. Thats like saying the Water Universe theory is true because there is water on mars.

silly

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

Just because there is an electric interaction does not prove the crazy Electric Universe Theory. Thats like saying the Water Universe theory is true because there is water on mars.

silly

I never said it did. I just said that the EU people will jump on this as their "proof". I'm actually looking forward to reading what they say.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
'Saturn's moon Hyperion discharges into Cassini spacecraft'

O.O

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

silly

I think it is more crazy that people who don't really know where gravity comes from

www.universetoday.com...

To be honest, we’re not entirely sure.

impose upon the people their non-knowledge...

silly
edit on 1920141001000000pm101America/Chicago10 by donhuangenaro because: ...

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

That's mental.

8 YEARS...not months, years.

Either they are the most incompetent bunch of amateurs they could get for peanut wages, or they were withholding the information for whatever reason they decided to...while there may be decades worth of data to pour over from the entire mission, it doesn't take almost a decade to see that the spacecraft was hit by an electrical discharge...not a chance.

Perhaps you can read the original paper here and give us your in depth analysis? As they are apparently an 'incompetent bunch of amateurs' I would be fascinated in hearing your own in depth and obviously superior analysis.

Congratulations, by the way, on demonstrating you complete lack of understanding in this paper, space missions, how data is collected and analysed and for insulting a team of dedicated people I imagine you are jealous of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join