It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fancy new tweak of some green?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure I'm asking this in the right place, or if it should be in the computer section.

First of all, I have a new monitor and it's taken some time to get used to (as opposed to perfectly happy) its colour balance. I really need one of those calibration things I guess. Anyway, I thought it was all fine and dandy, yet as of last night ATS seems to have the faintest extra whiff on greenage to it's colouring. Not the text, but the greyish backgrounds have a slight greeny hue.

So, to eliminate my madness, is this because the colours have been tweaked a little on the ATS side? Or is it the colour on my monitor is just messing with my head? I'll add that I've only noticed this on ATS, other websites and everything else seem 'normal' to my eyes.

Maybe the nvidia driver?? hmmm HELP PLEASE!
thanks!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Are you using the light or dark theme of ATS?

ETA: A quick google search shows that the most common cause of this is a loose connection. Check your cables and make sure it's tight.
edit on 10/16/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I know this sounds odd, but I literally adjusted my monitor settings by eye because I could not figure out if the in game settings on my games were off or if my monitor was. There are color gradient and brightness charts that you can use to set up the contrast and brightness on your monitor and then I used a picture of clouds and tree leaves to adjust my sharpness. It worked out pretty well.

LCD Test Patterns
edit on 10 16 2014 by Nechash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Dark theme. It's just the grey tones that have a slight green. Great suggestion about the cable, but that didn't help.

@Nechash, I also do mine by eye as best as I can. I struggled with this new screen for a couple of days until I was happy, hence why I didn't want to screw about with the settings anymore just in case it was a change implemented by ATS. But it sounds like either Nvidia did an update and changed my colour profile a bit. I should have written down what the exact settings were when I was finally happy. But before I do, I'll just wait a bit in case a mod has made a slight code change....

Actually, I'm the only one complaining about it, so that tells me two things. 1. It's a local problem and 2. This should now get moved to the computer help section I guess! Sorry mods!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I put a new display in a Mac. The only difference was that a '2' was the last number of about 16 digits whereas the part number of the original ended in '1'.

I had to go to the computer's color sync utility section and tweak it because the colors and the angle of polarization were both so far off as to cause serious grief. For example…the angle of the display lid of the computer had to be changed (tilted forward or back) in order to be able to not be really eye jammed by the way the light was coming at me, and just to see all the pixels.

I found that while adjusting the grids on the color sync utility menu (advanced), I was able to fix both issues.

Before the tweaking, it was as if I had sat at a computer which was out of my view, or at a display screen which was tilted too far forward, or aft. If you ever used polarized glass, you will see how certain things, such as light from copper cladding, or glass, will shift about as you revolve the lens. The light was just wrong, all wrong.

Another difference with the new screen is that it does not seem to dim when you are running on battery only, as the original screen did. Also, it was so bright at the lowest setting that I had to wear sunglasses for a while, upon waking. I was told that screens do not become dimmer over time, but that is patently false. After a few months, it has settled down and I have used the second notch (brightness) once or twice. Also, at the highest brightness, the replacement Philips screen is not as bright as the original Philips screen (with the 1 at the end). It is certain they are both made by Philips. I do wonder about the possibility that I bought a flawed 'second'. Hard to say.

My suspicion is that the company sells 'seconds', as display replacements. I say this because the colors were way off, and the resolution seems poorer, albeit only slightly, despite that it is the same resolution as the original, in pixels. By now my eyes have adjusted to this real or imagined difference, which, I suspect, was simply due to the extreme brightness of the pixels. All the ATS avatars seemed blurry and poor resolution, compared to the original screen, which had superb definition and tones. You could dim the original until it was almost dark; not so with this one. Also, there is a light leak or blemish or 'bulge' which is visible only on light backgrounds, at a place near the bottom of the screen. They offer warranty return in the event of any defect for three years, and I was told that the light bulge does qualify for an exchange. I decided to leave it in place until I have an alternate monitor. It is somewhat of a hassle to pull the display screen on a Mac. But be assured that there really aren't any counterfeits because the infrastructure outlay for manufacturing screens is huge.

I wonder if they calibrate each computer (display) after assembly/before they ship out, or if this was a freaky screen that needed to be pushed far from the Apple crosshairs in the color sync utility section? Hard to say, really, because the gent on the phone was not as knowledgeable as he might have been. He really had no answers except that I could wait and return it just based on the small light blemish, within 3 years.

The part was about $80 plus shipping. It is more trouble than it is worth to take it apart right now and exchange (I shattered my hand punching out another guy who was being mouthy with some chick at Jimmie Johns). I do wonder about a few things, however, the screen seems nice as I calibrated it. It is a little on the green side, if you look at it from an angle, but that's how I wanted it (after doing many setting changes). I'd love to compare it to a bone stock machine.

Poke around in your menus and see if there is a color sync section. Apple uses an apple diagram, with crosshairs, which, I think, adjusts the polarities. IDK. Elsewhere, you can move colors about. It was easier to learn to adjust it than going without a computer for a few weeks. But…this may be a good time to avoid the net. I don't like the manipulated hot trends, not one bit.

# 301

edit on 16-10-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Do you have the Nvidia driver utility installed on your computer? If so, you can use that to tweek your settings. I run a gaming PC at home and I actually had to remove the utility because it did not look quite right and the standard windows driver was much better.

As a last resort if you cannot fix the problem any other way: Remove the video card and re-seat it. It could have wiggled a bit loose.

Good luck

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm not a Apple user but I thank you for the contribution. Sounds like whatever backlight is in your screen is a cheap chinese knock off replacement!? When I look in stores, I do have to say that Apple have some of the nicest looking screens there is, especially colour wise. I'd wonder if yours is genuine at all?

Thanks mate! Just checked and the card is seated well enough. I've reset the monitor back to normal and everything is out of whack now. I've turned off all of nvidia's intervention, and am working through that LCD test page that Nechash pointed me too.
Last time I buy a cheap monitor! My previous monitor was fantastic, never had to muck about with it, it was a tiny bit bright, but otherwise the colours were always fantastic. In a moment of madness I gave it away because I wanted something bigger and I had store credit after returning a bad tv, I grabbed a new screen on the spot... So cross with myself!

Urgh, this screen is so hard to get the grey to look grey!
It's either a green/blue/or yellowy tinted. I must have hit a sweet spot before that just get's its yin and yan perfectly happy! Hmmm. I wonder if there is a website that has screen settings to produce best results?!? (Hopefully confirmed with a spider or such device) That kind of site would be a massive help!

(Screen btw is a 27" Samsung S27D390H - also called a SD390 on the box)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Check out this page and see if it can help .

pcmonitors.info...

There is a rundown of the settings you can go through, including steps for Nvidia users.
edit on 10/16/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

That was a great link, thank you greatly! Even though it was for the smaller version of that monitor - the suggested settings got it pretty close to what it was. ATS, seems almost like normal now - but there's the ever so slightest hint of green. But now I think I'm just really searching for it too hard, although it would be great if the ats board can confirm that colours have not been altered ever so slightly lately?

Thanks for the help to everyone

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

i may be wrong, but i think when you talk coding, 1 man has the keys to that Lamborghini: Skeptic Overlord.

Regardless, if I had the keys to it, i would just squeal the tires and wreck it. LOL

I think its your color settings, although I also think that the grey on the ATS Dark theme is derived from the green hue (i.e., on the color palette it is just a really grey form of green). Either that or you have just implanted the idea into my head.

But i do have a pretty good sense of color

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 10/16/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

No problem. Glad it helped.

I'm currently working through some issues with my displays and I know how frustrating it can be.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe it is in my head, like literally my eyes? Might be a medical condition, I may need to cut back on my Iguana sandwiches.

Just as a thought bubble, load up the myATS in one tab, and switched between that and a regular thread. The green background effect seems way stronger, but perhaps this is caused by the increase in green text and my eyes are blurring the green a bit. BTW, I was about to yell at you with the distinct lack of simian in you avatar, but is was nicely subtly and tastefully done - nice one as always!

@sheepslayer, very frustrating - there is the driver which can interfere, windows which has its own layer of interference, and then the monitor itself. Any one of which can be tilting things one way or the other. Good luck with your issues whatever they are

EDIT!
There is a difference in the greys! I grabbed a colour picker tool for Chrome called Colorzilla. On normal threads the grey colours used are:
#4B4F53 and
#383D40 (main boxes this is)

but on the myATS screen, the greys used are:
#484C50

So I'm not seeing things at least! I must just have been picking it up ever so slightly?
edit on 16-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

top topics

join