It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama authorizes Guard, reserve call-up for Ebola

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well, I will tell you what, I don't like this one bit. I am going to go search for some other sources. They say they are to be used in West Africa. But of course my tin foil hat is glowing.

Source

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is authorizing the Pentagon to call up reserve and National Guard troops if they are needed to assist in the U.S. response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

The U.S. has already committed to sending up to 4,000 military personnel to West Africa to provide logistics and help build treatment units to confront the rapidly spreading and deadly virus.

Obama signed an executive order Thursday that permits the Pentagon to use the reservists and Guard troops.

Obama also notified top congressional officials of his move.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

This should outrage every American on the planet!! Obozo is the reason Ebola is in the US!! If he would have ban travel before Duncan then Duncan would never have been able to get here!!

He will send Good men and women to fight a level 4 virus in his homeland, but will not prevent infected diseased people from flying commercial to get into US? Nor has the US embassy been shut down and visas are still being approved to come to US!!

He will endanger the lives of thousands in Africa but will not send troops to Iraq to stop ISIS!! He is a GD radical islamist sympathizer who hates our military and does not care if they live or die.....My god this little man should be tried for crimes against humanity!!

This is tantamount to murder and someone needs to hold Obama accountable!!

Pax

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

What do you think will happen if ebola is allowed to rage on in Africa? What do you think will happen if ebola spreads to every country outside of the U.S.? What do you think will happen if everyone in China has ebola, and they throw up or sneeze on products that get shipped over to the U.S.? Do you think imports come over here all by themselves? There are people involved in physically bringing them here. What about our exports? Don't you think people are involved in physically taking our exports to other countries? You can't stop every single person or product from coming and going - it would throw us into the dark ages.

The smartest move is to stop it over there before it takes over the rest of the world. Because if it takes over the rest of the world, it will take over us - guaranteed.

Should we take the necessary precautions before letting these guys come back into the states? Absolutely. But it is very short-sighted to say that we shouldn't be sending folks over there to try and stop this mess before it takes over the whole world.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is an abuse of our National Guard. National Guard folks are supposed to stay in their state and help their state. It's a local thing that the governor of the state has control over. It's a 'stay at home' help thing. It's not a national military thing. Total abuse of the National Guard. (not the first time they've been abused. National Guard got abused by Bush43 as well)

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If I received those orders.. I am not sure I would go... there is a real chance I would say go ahead and prosecute me.

As an Air Force Reservist there is little chance of that, so its easy to be critical... but to me Africa is a train wreck under the best of circumstances... some of the news stories ive seen (questionable sources to me) some towns in Liberia have bodies laying in the streets, they just don't have enough facilities to handle the amount of dead.

Also... while guard and reserve folks receive all the same training as active duty... the vast majority are weekend warriors, just because your trained to do something does not mean you are proficient in it... and the middle of an epidemic is kind of a bad time to figure out which you are.
edit on 16-10-2014 by Irishhaf because: tired... 24 hours on a plane or in an airport.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
What happens if the National Guard are needed locally, and they are thousands of miles away in Africa?

This just seems to be doing the wrong thing at the wrong time...

Sending troops trained in the construction of field hospitals is logical.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

edit on 10/16/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Way to offend those who have served, who happen to make up the majority of NG units.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This sounds strange to me...sort of like doing something, anything, even if it's wrong!

He has cancelled a speech and fund-raiser for the second day in a row! He didn't even do that when Benghazi was under attack, or when an American got beheaded, or when there was a shooting in Ft. Hood.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Maybe the call up reserve isn't for Africa at all. Maybe it is to enforce mandatory quarantine here in the US. That's grim.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

As an Air Force Reservist

Also... while guard and reserve folks receive all the same training as active duty... the vast majority are weekend warriors, just because your trained to do something does not mean you are proficient in it... and the middle of an epidemic is kind of a bad time to figure out which you are.

You should hear the comments about about the Chair force, I mean Airforce, especially Airforce reservists, by my former Active duty Marine unit. I'm sure a few of my National Guard INFANTRY friends in which were also former Marines would like your statement. Weekend training? Haha, maybe for Air Force Reservist.

edit on 16-10-2014 by 38181 because: G

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Once again, the guy takes ambiguous measures, just to say he's doing something.

How many votes wasted.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think Michelle Obama should go over there and help treat those people. She would be great at telling them what they should eat, and drink. Especially keeping them away from super big gulps.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This is a duplicate topic. Please see the original thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: GrantedBail

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: paxnatus

What do you think will happen if ebola is allowed to rage on in Africa? What do you think will happen if ebola spreads to every country outside of the U.S.? What do you think will happen if everyone in China has ebola, and they throw up or sneeze on products that get shipped over to the U.S.? Do you think imports come over here all by themselves? There are people involved in physically bringing them here. What about our exports? Don't you think people are involved in physically taking our exports to other countries? You can't stop every single person or product from coming and going - it would throw us into the dark ages.

The smartest move is to stop it over there before it takes over the rest of the world. Because if it takes over the rest of the world, it will take over us - guaranteed.

Should we take the necessary precautions before letting these guys come back into the states? Absolutely. But it is very short-sighted to say that we shouldn't be sending folks over there to try and stop this mess before it takes over the whole world.

I'm sorry...what???

Unless some of those guard personnel are MEDICAL personnel...what the heck good are they going to do in "ending Ebola in Africa?"

Those people are going to be guarding clinics, digging trenches and burying corpses and basically cleaning up Africa's mess. Yes, I realize that's hardly a humanitarian stance...but c'mon! I do not think that it's right mobilizing and sending the National Guard to Africa to "fight Ebola."

This is wrong....wrong.....wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutOmatIc
I think Michelle Obama should go over there and help treat those people. She would be great at telling them what they should eat, and drink. Especially keeping them away from super big gulps.

I'll drink (high-fructose-laced carbonated beverages) to that!!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The "First Couple's" loyalties are not to the United States.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join