It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola in Western Europe: A Quick Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I’m not sure how much attention ATS-ers have been giving to Ebola in Europe. Here’s a quick (& very concise) review:

Spain:

1.) “A 75-year-old Spanish priest, stricken with Ebola in Liberia, arrived in Madrid on a special military jet….” The priest died on Aug. 12.

2.) “…A second Ebola-infected priest was airlifted from West Africa in September. He died two days later (25 Sept 2014)…”

3.) “ and last week (06 Oct 2014) an auxiliary nurse who changed his diaper and helped clean his bed was found to have the disease..”

“The infection of the Spanish nurse, Teresa Romero Ramos, was the first case of the disease’s being transmitted outside Africa — arising even before a nurse in Dallas was given an Ebola diagnosis after caring for a patient there.” Her dog was euthanized.

“…Ms. Romero, 44, remains in critical condition…. Her husband and 14 others are quarantined on a floor below, with none yet showing any symptoms of Ebola. In all, 83 people who came into contact with Ms. Romero are being monitored.”

“…Even as she called in complaining of a low-grade fever and of feeling queasy, she was never told to return to Carlos III (the hospital). ‘She was considered a low-risk contact’….”

“She started to feel ill on 30 September. Her trade union said she had then asked three times to be tested for Ebola before the infection was finally confirmed on Monday (06 Oct 2014).”

4.) 16 Oct 2014 Update – more patients with suspected Ebola in Spain:

A third priest, “who arrived in Spain (from Liberia) on Oct.11, was being taken to hospital after developing a fever, one of the symptoms of the disease, the Spanish government's Ebola committee said. He was from the same religious order as two other Spanish priests who died in Madrid in recent weeks after contracting the deadly virus in West Africa, one in Liberia and one in Sierra Leone, they said.”

An Air France passenger who started shaking on an Paris to Madrid flight, “had originally traveled from Nigeria before taking a connecting flight.”

“…a man who arrived in Tenerife (Canary Islands) on Oct. 12 from Sierra Leone, developed a fever on Thursday and was admitted to be monitored for suspected Ebola symptoms. Two other people who lived with him were also taken to hospital as a preventative measure for monitoring, the source said.”

London (William Pooley, health worker in Sierra Leone) & Paris (French nurse) have both had Ebola cases that have recovered.

Germany has had 3 cases: Hamburg – recovered (Senegalese scientist), Leipzig – dead ( Sudanese, UN medical official), Frankfurt – currently in treatment (Ugandan doctor).

Oslo, Norway – one currently in experimental treatment (30 yr old Norwegian woman who was with “Doctors Without Borders” in Sierra Leone).

Of the Norwegian victim, “Kaltenborn added that they are still trying to find out HOW the victim got infected with the deadly virus.”

Sources:

www.nytimes.com...

www.independent.co.uk... 73.html

www.cbsnews.com...

www.punchng.com...

www.bbc.com...

www.voanews.com...

www.bbc.com...

www.chinatopix.com...

www.thelocal.no...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

finance.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AwrBT9PxI0BUgnAASP5XNyoA

According to today’s Congressional hearing, the US is still receiving anywhere from 100 – 150 people a day from West Africa (or 700 – 1,050 people a week).

But according to Fox’s Shepard Smith, everything is under control in the US and we can go back to sleep.

edit on 16-10-2014 by AuranVector because: To correct a date

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Great post!!!
I dedicate the song "Wake up" by Rage Against The Machine to everyone that is still ASLEEP.

It really concerns me

Again, great post.....Thank you

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sophie111609
Great post!!!
I dedicate the song "Wake up" by Rage Against The Machine to everyone that is still ASLEEP.

It really concerns me

Again, great post.....Thank you

Thanks, Sophie, for noticing the thread.

I thought it would be convenient to have a quick Ebola update on Europe in one place.
edit on 16-10-2014 by AuranVector because: brain burp

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AuranVector

What do you mean by 'the us are receiving'?

Do you mean these are people who already lived in the US?

or do you mean people who are Traveling there for University?

People seeking Sanctuary?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

What do you mean by 'the us are receiving'?

Do you mean these are people who already lived in the US?

or do you mean people who are Traveling there for University?

People seeking Sanctuary?

I think most readers would understand my meaning. The US is allowing entry of these people from West Africa.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

You still didn't answer my question.

Which one is it?

I'm just interested to know exactly what you mean as I'm in the UK.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

You still didn't answer my question.

Which one is it?

I'm just interested to know exactly what you mean as I'm in the UK.

Since you’re in the UK, how do potential US travel restrictions (on people coming in from West Africa) affect you? Why would you even ask for such details?

This Obama Administration will not close our borders to travelers from West Africa for purely political reasons, even though the majority of Americans polled want our borders closed to those coming in from the Ebola Hot Zone. It’s a common sense restriction.

Instead of protecting the American people with common sense restrictions at our borders, Obama and his shills have put out meaningless blather about “enhanced screening measures ” to mollify the general (inattentive) public.

The “Enhanced Screening Measures” are implemented ONLY at FIVE US airports (JFK, Dulles, Newark Liberty, O’Hare, Hartsfield-Jackson) and are near worthless.

Even our glorious CDC Director, Alfred E. Neuman* … er, I mean Frieden, admitted that the new “Enhanced Screening Measures” would NOT have halted Thomas Eric Duncan (Patient Zero in the US) since he had no symptoms when he entered the US.

Instead of just the usual checking of passports & luggage, now our poor Customs (CBP) agents get to review a more extensive questionnaire and have the job of taking the temperatures of those who admit to having recently been in the Ebola Hot Zone.

Our Customs agents will not even be wearing masks.

No mention of what the Customs agent is supposed to do with a suspected Ebola carrier, other than he is supposed to be in an airport “Quarantine Area.” One would assume the agent would be instructed to notify the CDC.

The “Enhanced Screening Measures” are bogus.

And I’ve answered your questions in this post, if you’re able to recognize it.

*Alfred E. Neuman is the mascot for “Mad” magazine.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

This is the 17 Oct 2014 update from Spain:

Good news. Four of the suspected Ebola cases in Spain have tested negative. They will be kept for another 72 hours for observation just to make sure.

elpais.com...

Here is another, I suspect slightly earlier report from Spain that says only two have been cleared:

“MADRID: Two of six new Ebola suspects admitted to hospital for monitoring in Spain have tested negative for the deadly virus, the government said Friday.

The first to test negative was a passenger who arrived in Madrid on Thursday from Nigeria via Paris on an Air France flight who had started shaking during the trip, the government's Ebola monitoring committee said on its official Twitter feed.

The other was a man who was transported in the same ambulance used to hospitalise a nurse, Teresa Romero, who caught Ebola while caring for two infected missionary who were repatriated from west Africa, and who died from the virus shortly after arriving in Spain.”

www.brecorder.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Update: The Spanish nurse has now tested negative for Ebola, although they'll have to do another test.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Another update from Spain, the Spanish Nurse's Assistant has been cleared a 3rd time:

“The last two measurements were in 'background' levels, and there is no significant statistical difference with negative results," Luis Enjuanes, an expert on viruses, said in a phone interview, in English, with CNN. "If for three times, throughout one week, you are background, background, background, in practical terms it means you don't have the virus."

“She has received two main treatments in her battle against Ebola, for which there is still no vaccine. The first was an IV drip with the antibodies of an Ebola survivor -- a Catholic nun who survived the disease in West Africa. And Romero also received an experimental anti-viral drug, favipiravir, Enjuanes said.”

“The tests from a man under observation in Tenerife will be received on Monday, Cuenca told CNN.”

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Another French nurse in France:

“In France, officials would not provide any information about a possible case involving another nurse. If confirmed, it would be the first instance of Ebola infecting someone through transmission in France… According to French news media reports, the nurse had an intense fever and was transported to a military hospital near Paris on Thursday
(16 Oct 2014).”

“The hospital is one of 12 in France where the authorities have set up special units to treat Ebola cases and where a French volunteer for Doctors Without Borders, which has been providing front-line medical assistance in West Africa, was taken last month after being infected by the virus in Liberia. The volunteer recovered after treatment and left the hospital on Oct. 4.”

www.nytimes.com...

Here’s a little more detail on the Norwegian woman being treated in Norway:

“… the organization Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) reports that a Norwegian staff member has contracted the deadly virus. The staffer had been working in the Sierra Leone city of Bo and was placed in isolation Sunday after developing a fever, the organization said.”

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Great thread!

Not sure how missed it before, but I've got it now. Keep up the great work!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Great thread!

Not sure how missed it before, but I've got it now. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind words.

new topics

top topics

join