It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla Faces Possible Prohibition of Sales in Michigan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

"States are fully within their rights to protect consumers by choosing the way cars are sold and serviced,” Charles Cyrill, a spokesman, said in an e-mailed statement. “Fierce competition between local dealers in any given market drives down prices both in and across brands. While if a factory owned all of its stores, it could set prices and buyers would lose virtually all bargaining power.

The bill prohibits automakers from selling a vehicle “directly to a retail customer other than through franchised dealers,” with exceptions for nonprofit organizations and government agencies.

Tesla Faces Possible Prohibition of Sales in Michigan

I can't believe this bill passed legislation!

In my opinion it's a crime against humanity to force the public to buy from a dealer merely because the OEM could sell it cheaper.
These companies have gouged consumers for decades, and we finally get a company with the resources and common sense to fight back against the auto industry, only to have our wonderful government prohibit their strategies.

Elon Musk will change technology and the smoke-and-mirrors type of business style we currently have, I just wish people would quit making him jump through hurdles to do it.
edit on 16-10-2014 by 0bservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Just wow.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bservant

In any other reality, Elon Musk would be an international icon. He is today's Einstein, today's Tesla, one of many great minds ready to change the world. But money does everything it can to suppress technology it cannot control.

How the $&#! does one entrepreneur change the entire world with electric vehicles and the MSM, the world says nothing? And not only are we not celebrating him, we are making it illegal to sell his cars.

Global Warming is man made and we are all going to fry. But Elon Musk you can't sell your clean electric vehicles here.

Apparently he didn't match the billion dollar political campaign funding numbers that big oil is using to suppress electric vehicles any and every way possible.

edit on 16-10-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I can't believe this bill passed legislation!

Do you live here? If so, been here long?

I am not surprised by this at all.
Saddened, but not surprised.

God bless the UAW. (sarcasm, kids)
edit on 16-10-2014 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
There goes any freedom of choice out the window......
This will cost the state mega money in court costs.....and they will lose.............
It will also make the Tesla a pile more sales......

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Thankfully not, I'm Canadian, but I do feel for my southern family!
Unfortunately, your government has cast a very bad shadow on the nation throughout the last couple of decades.
edit on 16-10-2014 by 0bservant because: Eye Kant Speel

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well, remember this then the next time someone screams about global warming or climate change.

It's such a serious issue we won't allow cars to be made that can slow down/fix it.

(Translation: We're still in bed with Big Oil, so we're whores & to hell with the planet)

Just point them to this thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is America just look what they have done to small pig farmers in this state. Corporations and government are working together to eliminate competition and we keep voting these people back into office.

Welcome to corporatism USA. Our government allowed walmart to destroy small downtown America, government worked with corporate agribusiness to destroy small family farms and it just keeps getting worst.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I was hoping you didn't, with that statement. Because most of us here in MI know, that if it is something to give the automotive industry some competition, (which it does HIGHLY need), the legislators will do what they have to, to keep it away. Too many people lining their pockets to keep it up.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

The USA is a Free capitalist country

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
only in America would you pass a law to make it harder to sell an innovative product.

Why wouldn't you just let the market decide if people want it or not?

I fail to follow the logic of the argument that this will drive up prices. People can only afford what they can afford. If prices go up, then someone will come in with a cheaper product that people can afford. That's the way a free market capitalism works.

Laws like this are horrible. I would be ashamed to be in the American auto industry.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Tesla had inventions held back when he was alive, why should it be any different now that he is dead? It is such a shame. I would have liked to see the original plans for the Tesla tower ((the ability to give off free energy to all)) put to use. It would be great in this day and age but unfortunately people still can't make money off of it so it still won't be used.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

No big deal, Texas did this first, Tesla has an answer.

Advocacy - Texas

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Kinda makes me wonder about this...

Maybe 2 years ago we built a new factory somewhere near Holland MI. to build lithium ion batteries for cars. I didn't work on it but a few friends did. They say it never opened for reasons I do not know.

Recently Tesla announced they were looking for locations to build a new battery plant.

I wonder if MI offered up this already built, brand new plant and Tesla declined so now MI says well you no sell your cars here.

Pure speculation on my part. I personally don't think Tesla selling their vehicles here would take much away from Detroit. I think most of the car factories are gone now.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Okay people, how can we/they get around this? Can a group of say, Green Automobiles for Consumers (GAC huh, huh, huh?) put together a franchised dealership (funded of course by Tesla???) and go from there? I heard though that the Tesla car was around 100K.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Check out this article about the Dow Chemical advanced battery plant up in Midland. Federal dollars sunk into it as handouts, State and local tax abatements in the hundreds of millions. They sold it as "320 new jobs will be created," but it peaked out around 80 and then they (Dow) got out.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
what happens if you go buy a tesla in another state......not saying this law is a good thing mind you but it is good they left such a huge loop hole in evidently.i dont see how they could punish you for buying one out of state

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

It's engrained into the DNA of our michigan politicians. Whether it actually is relavant to reality or not doesn't matter. They know At the end of the day they did all they could to appease the great god UAW and his son DOW.

Michigan has been towing the line since the 1800's. Michigan is basically one big resource that a few people have managed to really really take advantage of.... Well pretty much since the beginning. It's not gonna change any time soon.

Mead
DuPont
Dodge
Ford
Van andel (Michigan folks will recognize this one more then outsiders)
And I'm sure many more.

It sure is one of the most beautiful pieces of real estate on this planet and just chock full of natural woner and good people its just too bad it's been left to be bumbled for so long by greed.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot
Just wow.

Just buy online in another state.

edit on 16-10-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: typonese

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25

In any other reality, Elon Musk would be an international icon. He is today's Einstein, today's Tesla, one of many great minds ready to change the world. But money does everything it can to suppress technology it cannot control.

How the $&#! does one entrepreneur change the entire world with electric vehicles and the MSM, the world says nothing? And not only are we not celebrating him, we are making it illegal to sell his cars.

Global Warming is man made and we are all going to fry. But Elon Musk you can't sell your clean electric vehicles here.

Apparently he didn't match the billion dollar political campaign funding numbers that big oil is using to suppress electric vehicles any and every way possible.

Considering how the oil indusrry is basically holding humanity to ransom (for as little as 100 years... And think how mucb corruption and damage its caused) if i was this guy (name slips my mind...whys that?) ..Elon Musk... (Is he turkish?)... I would approach the shipping industry who transports the oil millions of barells (billions of dollars worth?) accross the ocean at a time, and say hey, ive got these phat battries you can plug your ships into, and they cost nothing to charge... Considering how expensive your vesel is to run, why dont you go solar, it will save you guys a LOOOT of money... That way, the big oil industry effictively goes bankrupt, and the global economy has a lot more money in its pocket, meaning we would be free from all the political and economic entrapment from big oil making us also a lot cleaner and healthier as a planet... The reason im saying this openly is because the technology exists, these batteries exists, and can probably run a ship... But Elon may not have 2 and two together yet... If and when this happens, which im hoping it does, it wouldd be a very bright day (no matter how economist's spin it) for the world.

Go elon... Keep fighting these base tards, keep striking the beast. You've already drawn its black blood and we salute you. Now go for the heart!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join