It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

73 Percent of Americans Favor Restoring Voting Rights for Nonviolent Drug Offenders

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:48 PM

originally posted by: luciddream
Only in America where holding onto a naturally occuring plant(that is shown to provide benefit) is equivalent punishement as a child molester, serial killer, rapist and terrorist.

You have not read any of this thread have you?

You do not get a felony for marijuana possession unless you have a crap ton of it because that means your dealing the stuff. Or you have been caught multiple times. All the other crimes you mentioned are felonies the first time.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:55 PM
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
No conviction or crime loses your vote in the UK, only during the time while in prison.
Once you're out, you can vote again.
...and personal use/possession of drugs rarely results in prison here if there is no theft or violence thing going on.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:28 PM
For those outside the US or those who don't realize how many things are now felonies, here's a list of the 20 most common felonies in the US. I've bolded some of the nonviolent categories that can lose you your right to vote even if all you are sentenced to is 1 yr probation/no jail time.

(1) Drug abuse violations 1,841,182 - *Note: see comment following this quote
(2) Driving while Intoxicated 1,427,494 (aka Felony DUI) - *Note: Felony DUI can be 2 DUI's within 7 yrs.
(3) Property crime 1,610,088 (includes burglary, larceny, theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson.)
(4) Larceny-theft 1,172,762
(5) Assault 1,305,693
(6) Disorderly conduct 709,105 - *Note: This could be a simple bar fight
(7) Liquor laws 633,654 - *Note: In some states using a fake ID is a felony
(8) Violent crime 597,447 (including murder, non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault.
(9) Drunkenness 589,402 - *Note: Can someone tell me what a felon drunkenness charge, not DUI, is? I can't find any info
(10) Aggravated assault 433,945
(11) Burglary 303,853
(12) Vandalism 291,575 *Note: Typically causing over $500 damage, but in some states just keying someone's car can be felony vandalism
(13) Fraud 252,873 - *Note: This can include filing a false claim of a crime, pranking 911, writing bad checks
(14) Weapons violations (carrying or possession) 188,891
(15) Curfew and loitering 143,002
(16) Robbery 126,715
(17) Offenses against family and children 122,812 - *Note: If your kid sneaks out and hurts himself but no one else, parent can be charged with felony of parental neglect. Being too far behind in child support also falls in this category
(18) Stolen property (buying, receiving, possession) 122,061
(19) Motor vehicle theft 118,231
(20) Forgery and counterfeiting 103,448 - *Note: This can include filing out-of-date forms or merely possessing but never having used a fake document

Additionally, here are Ohio's limits for marijuana possession, cultivation, and distribution that bump it up to a felony:

Possession: 1000g or more
Cultivation: 200g or more
Distribution: Over 20g

I'm not saying some of these shouldn't be felonies. I'm saying there are too many things that constitute a felony which means too many people receiving felony charges and losing their right to vote.
edit on 10/16/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
Why just drug offenders?

Why not reinstate EVERY convicted felons rights after they serve their time as long as their crimes

Once you served your time, paid your restitution and keep a clean record and stay out of trouble why shouldn't you have the same rights as everybody else?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:38 PM
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

"Prisoners should not be able to vote.
After they serve their time they should be able to vote again. Just my two cents.."

Your two cents are a quite valuable two cents. But this is about convicts who have (supposedly) paid their debt to society.

Who are the politicians who want to keep them from voting?

It isn't the Democrats. I wonder why.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:27 AM
a reply to: intrepid

Maine allows non-violent felons to vote. So does another state too that I cant remember off the top of my head.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:25 PM
If you're square with the house ALL your rights should be restored.

We are NOT to have second class citizens.

top topics

<< 1   >>