It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror the new '"It Thing"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen my brand our brand is in! The Horror genre is the new It Thing. I didn't think something like this would happen so quickly I thought I and others would need to push the brand and show people how exciting horror related things can be, But it is happening right before our eyes

let me throw some numbers at you. The Season premiere of the Walking Dead turned in 17 million viewer's.(I don't really consider The walking Dead horror more suspense but that's just me) American Horror Story : Freak Show turned in 10 million viewer's The highest ratings for the FX network. I was recently at a Horror movie and the theatre was just packed full of people almost rivaling the comic book super hero movies. We have a couple new video games out that our horror related meant to scare you. (Alien Isolation, Evil Within) I was reading a gaming magazine where they said Horror was the new hot thing in video games right now with developers trying to more games that are horror inspired.

Don't get me wrong I am glad this is happening. But I wanted to see if anybody else see's this trend happening or maybe disagrees that this trend is not happening? and also how did it happen so fast? It used to be took a lady out on a date to a scary movie and that would be your last date. Now it seems more women are into the genre.

Horror fans, Fear drinkers our time is now!!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I love horror and I love the agony of a tragic romance, the kind where two lovers just keep barely missing each other. The bliss generated by connecting with a hit and miss lover is a million times more brilliant than even the satisfaction young lovers find hastily in each other's arms. A young passion burns brightly and falters out, but a well earned romance can become the foundation for a lifetime of adventure.

I think we are really just coming into our own in the horror genre. We are moving beyond the carnival of gore and into a more subtle undermining of the core values of the observer. Did you see the episode of Z nation where they encountered the cannibal cult that was keeping their victims alive, harvesting parts from them? This is no longer about simple fear, and the animal revulsion of gore, but about really sympathizing with a victim and feeling moral outrage towards a people who have violated your fundamental sense of what it means to be human. This is engaging the audience on a much deeper level, I think.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
LOL
Son, (no idea of your age, but I'm old)

I have been "into" horror, ever since as a little girl, my aunt let me watch a scary movie. Never had nightmares and I was so hooked.

As far as a trend? I don't see it. Not for horror. Zombies? Yes, but not horror. And I'm ok with that. I don't need some dang hipster coming along and ruining it. Because that will happen. And I will be angry.
Give me any kind of horror, especially B movies, and I'll be a happy, happy lady!

God, this makes me seem older than I am. Didn't mean to come off all curmudgeon. LOL

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

sounds like people are selfconditioning for the horrors to come

I think I started on 'The Rats' ,James herberts book , many earth turns ago

still cant beat a good wildlife programme though ... dam the hyenas know how to put on a good show

this Zebra reminds me of the masochistic meat

funbox

link   

Yaaaay!!

link   

I've personally found modern horror movies to be filled with more jumpscares and less actual horror. It's like taking a spook house ride with the boogeyman ready to spring into action around every corner (same hugging rules apply!). Then you have the grotesque approach with a grab bag assortment of modern gore titles... I like a horror movie that actually grabs you and sends a message; like Insidious or The Strangers. They psychologically mess with you while you're watching them and may offer a twist at the end. Cabin in the Woods was great for that.

I haven't paid much attention to horror movies lately with the recent Marvel phase rolling through, are there any worth their weight in popcorn released recently? What was this horror movie you saw?
edit on 16-10-2014 by Septimus because: added reply

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
LOL
Son, (no idea of your age, but I'm old)

I have been "into" horror, ever since as a little girl, my aunt let me watch a scary movie. Never had nightmares and I was so hooked.

As far as a trend? I don't see it. Not for horror. Zombies? Yes, but not horror.

Exactly...Horror has been HUGE since the 70's really. The whole video Nasties list.
I've always loved horror and always will.
Yes Vampires had a spike and now so do Zombies... but Horror has always been popular

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

you don't see the trend?? well I think were trending more away from the saw type of movies to the more conjuring sinister type of horror. where you don't need to use the blood and gore to scare you just need now the fear that attacks your spirit and the mind

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

the Horror movie I was mentioning Was Annabelle.

and that speaks more to what I was saying when you mentioned Insidious, there's an insidious 2 and coming out 2015 I think is insidious 3, but if you like insidious you have to see sinister

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

yeah I agree that horror has been somewhat popular with your cult fanatic's like me and others who love the genre. But just like with the trend with football were seeing age groups and demographics that are usually not into horror well I should'nt say that there is nothing usual about horror.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Oh, I do think the genre is changing a bit, but that happens as well. Look how popular oversized animals were in the 70's horror.

The 80's had the religious type horror and lots of B's, which was awesome.

But I don't see horror being "it" right now. Well, except that it is October, LOL

Meh, maybe I'm missing it.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

you don't see the trend?? well I think were trending more away from the saw type of movies to the more conjuring sinister type of horror. where you don't need to use the blood and gore to scare you just need now the fear that attacks your spirit and the mind

I hope we're trending away from those type of movies. I always thought the more horrifying films left most of the real frightening stuff to the viewers' imagination. And my least favorite thing of all is what Septimus above called the 'jumpscares'. Good name for those tactics. I remember when all the movies started using that stuff to try to scare the audience. Worst thing that ever happened to films imo.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think horror movies are hit or miss. I think horror movies in the woods are the most frightening thing having lived in the woods myself for awhile. Things get spooky of in there. But i agree, TV is being taken over by horror and comic book shows. Not a bad thing, unless you're one of those who want to keep up with everything in those genres.
edit on 16-10-2014 by ScribbledOnANotePad24 because: misspelling

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Don't care for horror.

Always found it to be.... shall we say, unsavory.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Practicing necromancy on a 2014 thread lol

So I don't think horror is an 'it thing' at all. Most people, that audience you're describing, seem to only watch 1 or 2 of the big blockbuster horror movies. They miss most horror films, and most certainly the better ones. Although on occasion the blockbuster horror's are decent. I wouldn't consider these people fans of the horror genre. I think big blockbuster movies are an 'it thing' (obviously) and zombies are.

Take 2014 for instance.

Everyone and their mother saw and raved about The Conjuring.

I wonder how many saw 2014's Starry Eyes, Late Phases, Housebound, The Babadook, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, The Canal, Life After Beth, Wyrmwood, The Town That Dreaded Sundown,...

I think the 'In Thing' is to watch 1 big blockbuster horror annually.

Which is truly unfortunate because it fosters this perception that the genre is superficial and all about 'jump scares'. Whereas it couldn't be further from the truth.
edit on 12-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'm absolutely, 100% in love with the horror genre. I'm not sure either way if I see it as a current "It thing" or not. I'm so totally immersed in the genre that I rarely take a step back to see how it's doing in the public eye.

It's been a passion of mine since I was a child. Whether in books, film, or TV, anything dark, creepy and disturbing totally captivates me.

I'm not really into blood and gore....I prefer shadowy, subtle, psychological scares.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
As an adolescent, I was a huge horror fan.

Stephen King and John Saul were my favourite horror authors. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was my first horror flick.

Loved scaring the crap out of myself... spent many-a night wide awake being startled by everything that went bump in the night.

But now ?

Meh, I can't stand slasher movies in particular.

Science fiction is the only genre that has stuck with me since adolescence.

I'm a sci-fi addict for life.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

I'm working on a thread for my top 5 favorite horror films for each year from 2000-2014. Almost done. Be on the lookout for it because I also tend to gravitate towards the 'shadowy, subtle, psychological scares'.

a reply to: CranialSponge

There will be many non-slasher ones in that list too ^_^

btw Sci-fi and horror are my two favorite genres.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Has anyone seen THe PYramid yet ? I was expecting budget but was quite surprised , even had me grinning once or twice

basically the plot revolves around the discovery of a semi buried pyrmid, it's enforced exploration, entrapment and finally judgement .. hate to spoil a plot line

so pm me if you want to SEE more

funbox

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
Has anyone seen THe PYramid yet ? I was expecting budget but was quite surprised , even had me grinning once or twice

basically the plot revolves around the discovery of a semi buried pyrmid, it's enforced exploration, entrapment and finally judgement .. hate to spoil a plot line

so pm me if you want to SEE more

funbox

It was pretty poor to be honest... I thought As Above, So Below did the same thing much better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join