It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth’s magnetic field could flip within a human lifetime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Earth's magnetic north and south poles have flip-flopped many times in our planet's history—most recently, around 780,000 years ago. Geophysicists who study the magnetic field have long thought that the poles may be getting ready to switch again, and based on new data, it might happen earlier than anyone anticipated.

The European Space Agency's satellite array dubbed “Swarm” revealed that Earth's magnetic field is weakening 10 times faster than previously thought, decreasing in strength about 5 percent a decade rather than 5 percent a century. A weakening magnetic field may indicate an impending reversal, which scientists predict could begin in less than 2,000 years. Magnetic north itself appears to be moving toward Siberia.

scientificamerican

Now, a new study by a team of scientists from Italy, France, Columbia University and the University of California, Berkeley, demonstrates that the last magnetic reversal 786,000 years ago actually happened very quickly, in less than 100 years – roughly a human lifetime.

Earth’s magnetic field could flip within a human lifetime

Paper

Nice is not as slow at once though, DOOM?

Though a magnetic reversal is a major planet-wide event driven by convection in Earth’s iron core, there are no documented catastrophes associated with past reversals, despite much searching in the geologic and biologic record. Today, however, such a reversal could potentially wreak havoc with our electrical grid, generating currents that might take it down.

And since Earth’s magnetic field protects life from energetic particles from the sun and cosmic rays, both of which can cause genetic mutations, a weakening or temporary loss of the field before a permanent reversal could increase cancer rates. The danger to life would be even greater if flips were preceded by long periods of unstable magnetic behavior.

Not much worse than Fukushima them. So any time now could be in 50 years or could be in 2000, nothing to worry about really, just faster than we used to think

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Wouldn't worry too much about it "frying" our electrical grid. Even if it took only a year to "flip", the movement of our magnetic field would be so slow that it would negate inducing current in conductors.

Take a generator and turn the armature......but take a year to give it half a turn. The Earth magnetic field is weaker than the magnets in one.

The bigger worry would be the 2nd thing they mentioned: collapse or disappearance of the field, allowing much more energetic particles through. Wouldn't make anyone drop dead right away, as our atmosphere helps protect us too. But we would see a rise in health problems and cancer rates.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

that cat freaks me out way more than those energetic particles ....i guess we will have to wait and see

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Doom?

Well that all depends?

It HAS happened in the past several times, We know this, It WILL happen again, We know this to. What will or are we going to do about it? Most likely endlessly argue about it in some subcommittee for weeks, months, years *As if there was really anything to debate*

If true, it will become mankind's #1 priority and may finally help bring us all together.

Feels a round of Kumbaya coming on.

*Sniff
edit on 16-10-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

that cat freaks me out way more than those energetic particles ....i guess we will have to wait and see

Hehehehe.

Yah. That's one of my cats. His name is Joe. What was really freaky is he gets up there then looks BEHIND me with wide eyes, like he's seeing something scary.

Right now he's looking at me with the "feed me" look.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The European Space Agency's satellite array dubbed “Swarm” revealed that Earth's magnetic field is weakening 10 times faster than previously thought, decreasing in strength about 5 percent a decade...

-Earth’s magnetic field protects life from energetic particles from the sun and cosmic rays-

sounds like a possible source for global warming that man has no control of ...maybe if we charge a magnetic tax we can prevent it

Magnetic Pole Reversal Happens All The Time

edit on 16-10-2014 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

It doesn't matter there is nothing to do about it, what would be the plan nuke the core?

if not a nuke a tax may do it

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Nice update. Thanks.

F&

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I thought about posting that very video

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Currently Earths magnetic field is weakening. Today it is about 10% weaker than it was in 1845 when German mathematician Carl Freidrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it.

Over the last 150 years, the magnetic field has lost about 15% of its strength.

I watch SuspicousObservers videos on Youtube everyday, the guy knows his stuff. He's worth paying attention to about this, if anyones interested.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm thinking that human actions are causing the lessening of the magnetic field. But that would be bad for the economy so they will try to blame it on natural causes.

If earth's magnetic field is weakening, how come I am not loosing weight?

edit on 16-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I'm thinking that human actions are causing the lessening of the magnetic field. But that would be bad for the economy so they will try to blame it on natural causes.

Because Gravity and Magnetics are not the same thing.

You have weight because of Gravity, which is due to the Earth's mass. A magnetic field is not going to be attracted to your flesh and bone.

I would like to hear what it is that humans are doing to effect the Earth's magnetic field. Don't believe I've heard that one before.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

This is all due to Man-Made-Magnetic-Manipulation. (M&M's) (mmmmmmm. . . . M&M's)

If you send me money, I might be able to forstall the impending doom!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I think that's a question most us ask ourselves and also try to correlate to any cause other than because i wont stop eating.

I would also want to know how human activity weaken the magnetic field, is the magnetic fields our technology creates that interfere with earth one? are we changing the core properties somehow? we are pretty much like ants compared to the force that generates the magnetic field, cant think what we can do to it.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

This is all due to Man-Made-Magnetic-Manipulation. (M&M's) (mmmmmmm. . . . M&M's)

If you send me money, I might be able to forstall the impending doom!

My god........you may be right! The more M&Ms we produce.........quick! Beez! Start eating!

I'd join you, but I'm diabetic........wait.....it would be for a noble cause, right!

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

No wonder why they want insurance

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Oh that will be just wonderful. Just as everybody moves to polar regions to escape the heat, they'll get more radiation.

The magnetic field itself isn't so important---except what it can do to lower effect of planetary & extra-planetary harmful high-energy particles.

I would also want to know how human activity weaken the magnetic field, is the magnetic fields our technology creates that interfere with earth one? are we changing the core properties somehow? we are pretty much like ants compared to the force that generates the magnetic field, cant think what we can do to it.

Humans do not have any influence on the global magnetic field. The core properties are not altered substantially by humans. Unlike the atmosphere, we're off the hook for this one, but we still have to adapt to the consequences.

edit on 16-10-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join