It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outer space what is it made out of?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Have they every been abel to find out what actualy outer space is made of. I here its very simular to being in a swimming pool, have they ever figured out any elements that its made of? I mean it has to have some kind of chemical compsition it is matter of some kind maybe its some kind of plasma? i don't know. maybe it holds the key to the formula for anti-gravity.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by iksmodnad]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Of course we have figured out what "outer space" is made of; we have travelled through it and sent out unmanned ships there, too.

Outer space is almost nothing; just as close to a pure vacuum as you can get out side the laboratory -- with maybe a microgram of gas (usually hydrogen) per cubic meter of otherwise nothing.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
there has to be more to it its such an interesting property they need to look into it more if you ask me there is something missing it has to be more than nothing.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Of course we have figured out what "outer space" is made of; we have travelled through it and sent out unmanned ships there, too.

Outer space is almost nothing; just as close to a pure vacuum as you can get out side the laboratory -- with maybe a microgram of gas (usually hydrogen) per cubic meter of otherwise nothing.

Well I wouldn't say it's just 'pure vacuum'.they have also found the 'Dark matter force' that is actually accellerating the process of the velocity the Universe is ctreaching out.They have found that it actually stopped,or slowed down to the extent that it's colappsing on itself,thus an implosion of the universe is a theoretical certianty....

It's far from being just a cold 'Empty' space....

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There is no inky black space particle or molecule.
Space is time,wanna see what time looks like?look up.
farther out you look,the older it gets.
Space is obvious proof of gods existance.
Space is cool

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Fabric of Space/Time(as they are both one and the same, inseperable since birth) is theorized to be a fuzzy, foamy uncertain membrain is the best way I could think to put it. IMO Space HAS to be made up of somthing, because nothingness just does not compute. Learn more about M-Theory and String Theory. Interesting stuff.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Please find out and let us know- this is a great question, and there is no complete public answer yet. The quantum vacuum is not empty, it has tremendous potential energy, and its properties propagate electromagnetic fields and radiation, create gravity, and sustain matter. When we truly understand it, we will no doubt find a way to sail within it, in the way ships sail upon the oceans of wind and water. The keywords to study are Hal Puthoff ZPE. ZPE refers to Zero Point Energy. A quantum fluctuation in the vacuum was the apparent source of the Big Bang according to some theories, making tiny volumes of empty space an awesome source of power. I'm too tired to link you to this stuff, so please surf and let us know what you find with links. Ever wondered what keeps electrons from falling onto protons? Hint: your question holds the answer.

Also check this link.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
How True.

If Space is made of nothing, how is it "bent" by gravity?..

Personally, I think space is made of TIME (relatively speaking..)...

[edit on 8-12-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Damn it Horus, you beat me it to

I read about that not too long ago in the discovery magazine...it's quite interesting stuff, this is what they think accounts for the extra gravity in the universe I believe...

I can't remember what the exact term for it was, Dark Space? supposedly a big part of the universe is composed of this stuff...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Remember that the definition of a vacume is a place where there is no matter. By this definition, space is nowhere close to a vacume. There is matter everywhere! Most of it you cannot see with the naked eye. This is Dark Matter. It is the only reason why we are not flooded with light at night. The light from distant stars and galaxies travel very, very far. Dark Matter is responcible for absorbing all this light. Say you throw your computer into dark matter. It will just turn into a black silhouette. Very interesting stuff.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
theres nothing really there, not really.however, depeding on your views, theres something there.

if you think of relativity, there is no such thing as a vacuum. gravity pervades everywhere, staight to infinity. hence, there is always something out in space, energy, just not very much.

if you think of QM, then there is. gravity is 'carried' by gravitons, so, in theory, there is a miniscule space between the various particles. also with QM, mass and energy are constantly being exchanged for each other. net total=0, but theres a lot of fluctuation.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Maybe the singularity in the center of a black hole can be called a vacume because there is an infinite amount of matter there and things that are infinite have no begining and no end. So therefore there is no matter and there is all matter at the same time.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Day Slurpee]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Black holes don't necessarily have infinte matter. If they had infinite matter, then they would have infinite mass... which would mean infinite gravitational force. They do, however, have very high masses. If I recall correctly, a recent discovery of a possible 30,000,000 Solar Mass black hole exists at the center of an dwarf eliptical galaxy.

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

Evidence suggests that at the center of the sombrero galaxy is a super massive BH with close to 1,000,000,000 solar masses.

I bet its has significant gravitational influence well beyond the halo region.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Galvatron]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
i'll say nothing...

except stars, planets, gravity, galaxies and etc...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Vacuum, Jerri, VACUUM!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Galvatron
Black holes don't necessarily have infinte matter.

black holes necessarily dont have infinite matter, for the reasons you explained galvatron. dont depreciate yourself.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Why would space have to be made of anything?

Lets compare the universe to an atom. At first, supposedly, the universe was much more dense than it is today. Lets say only several seconds after the big bang, the universe was extremely dense. Its just that the distance between matter increases. Lets look at an atom. Most of an atom is empty. The electrons orbit at quite some distance from the nucleus. What fills that space? Is there some sort of medium? Could there be dark matter within the orbit of electrons?

For the bending space question. Whos to say there is anything to be bent? Light traveling close to a massive object has a tendancy to arc around it, does that mean space is bent or merely that light is affected by the mass' gravitational influence. But light has no mass you say. That means either space is in actuality bending, or that something is physically interacting with it. Perhaps a gravity particle or wave in pure energy form like light?

I think space doesn't have a fabric. Neither time. Time, in my opinion, is our rationalization of changing events in order to have a reference point. Think of a thunderstorm made of sand. Each grain of sand is a particle in the unverse. Constantly moving and affecting everthing else, no matter how slight. Why does time need to be a property or a fabric?

Edit: Thanks, you're right, I shoulda reworded it. Heh, oh well. I got the idea accross I guess.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Galvatron]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
No, at the center of a black hole spacetime has infinite curvature and matter is crushed to infinite density under the pull of infinite gravity. At a singularity, space and time cease to exist as we know them. The laws of physics as we know them break down at a singularity. That is about the simplest it can be explained. Sorry for going Einstein on you.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just because it is infinitely dense, doesn't mean it has infinite mass. True, singularities is where relativity breaks down, which is why quantum physics was developed in the first place. Whos to say all black holes are singularities. I bet there might be one out there that is a very massive neutron star that has just the threshold of gravity influence to where the velocity of light is insufficient to escape. Or is that impossible? (I don't know, Im asking) Does the very nature of having enough gravity in order to keep light from escaping mean the source of gravity must be a singularity?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The equation for density is Density = Mass over Volume. If something is infinitely dense than it has infinite mass. As I just said, Density is how much mass is in a given volume. Did you not take Physical Science in 8th grade?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join