It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Childbirth Preparedness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have a new grandson who should arrive in Jan!! And a new niece due in the spring! And as I was sitting here catching up on all the Ebola news, I realized that in Jan, a hospital could become a dangerous place to give birth. Now, I personally, have given birth 3 times at home with a midwife. And I have assisted with other births, so It wouldnt scare me if I had to help my daughter-in-law give birth. Because, basically its a bodily function.

But, if anyone in your family is facing this kind of a decision, a little information and a little prep, will make things a lot easier. There are amazing midwifes all over the country. So, I would connect with one now, and make her your back up plan. If for some reason, she becomes unavailable, then you are looking at plan c. Plan C could be giving birth at home with your mom or sister or god forbid your husband. And a few things like a bulb syring, cord clamp (I guess a kitchen twist tie would work lol) there is always improvising, but stashing a few plastic drop cloths, and extra towels and making a plan with a partner should be considered.

I am not qualified to tell you what to put together in your birth kit. But, I will be getting one ready to include in my emergency medical kit.
Just Google search "how to deliver a baby in an emergency situation." You should be able to google "at home birth kit", and get a good idea of what you will need.

JFYI, you really do boil hot towels when you give birth at home. The hottest towel placed over your tummy during a contraction really helps with the pain. So, have a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves so an assistant, can wring out the hot, hot towels.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
LOL - a hospital has always be a dangerous place to give birth.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The easy babies to deliver are the ones that just pop out. Those are the ones that are born on the way to the hospital or whatever.

It's the ones that take a long time for whatever reason (breech, or malpresenting some other way) that are dangerous for both people involved.

It's a decision that's very nervewracking to make because you never know when you're going to need a crash cart and a group of highly skilled medical people, both to save the mother and the baby.

Tough choice, tough decisions. If it helps to think about, even if Ebola is getting a real grip on the country by then, every hospital will have the OB unit very well cut off from the rest of the hospital with separate personnel; I can imagine that anyone Ebola will be in tents or other situations out of the main hospital itself and staff will be dedicated to that one part of the hospital also. Having staff taking care of quarantined patients and everyone else is insane.

Maybe go for a hospital delivery but get the hell out as quickly as possible after the birth to limit exposure?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Thats why I chose to have my kids at home!! I wouldnt give birth in a hospital if they paid me.

But Ive always had wonderful midwifes.

edit on 15-10-2014 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Thanks for clarifying hot towels for me. After giving birth at home myself I still couldn't figure out why all movies, tv and book home births need hot water and towels!

I'm so water resistant that I have to force myself to shower, so water sure wasn't part of my birth plan.

This planning is a really good point and it's great you brought it up, births are better when women aren't over stressed so being familiar with a back up plan, specially should shtf, is something I bet most don't plan.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Great thread! We have our first due in March, and I've already been thinking about how to handle the situation if the SHTF by then already.

Luckily I have basic paramedic training, but I definitely need to read up on supplies and midwife skills in case we can't get anyone to help.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Take advice from your midwife. Not sure how it works in your country, but in the UK midwives support home births for low-risk pregnancies, if that is a preference from the mother and if there is the capability to support it. There is a view that hospital births are only really necessary when there is the risk of complications and where, for example, a obstetrician (i.e. a doctor) is required or a caesarean is medically necessary.

On Ebola. I say "don't panic". I am guessing you're not in West Africa!

Regards

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This is definitely something people should be thinking about right now if they are expecting babies in the coming months just incase, i think if it were me i would just try to go to a hospital or get a obstetrician to come too my home, only because i can't give birth naturally i tried with my first and we almost lost her sometimes c sections are absolutely needed or the only result will be at least one loss.. And i developed Obstetric Cholestasis with my pregnancies so my babies had too come out there and then when my liver function tests and bile acid tests elevated really really high or i would have lost them so what happens if your suffering something like that or something like pre eclampsia ( i had that with my first and its very common but can be very dangerous also) ? you can't just induce a woman or perform a c section too save the baby.. So i think where people can they should try get as much trained medical help as they can because so many things can go wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Believe me when I say, that I want to deliver my grandson about as much as I want to poke a stick in my eye. Because, I know there are lots of risks. I think if we encounter a delivery that requires a hospital, then I would go with her, and we would isolate ourselves from the rest of the family until the incubation period for the Ebola was over.

I didnt include links in the op because, I didnt want to reflect my personal views about birth and hospitals etc. So, I felt since this is such a huge thing, that people should do their own research.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Oh i absolutely believe you i never said i thought you would want too? That would be a crazy insane situation to be in that no one without training would really want to find themselves in.

I was just pointing out that from experience so many things can go wrong! I know majority of the time it goes smoothly but like with my first she was posterior after over 16 hours of full on active labour she was going in to distress and heart rate kept dipping so i had too have a c section, it really sucked i really wanted an all natural birth but nope.. Had i have kept gping in labour im not really sure what would have happened but i imagine it wouldn't have been a good outcome!

I have friends that gave birth at home with midwives they were realy pleased with that vs hospital environment!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Sorry, I wasnt implying that you thought I was looking forward to it. I was actually trying to be funny.
I am very glad for your risk reminder. I am relieved that my daughter in law has given birth before, but every pregnancy is different. And you just never know. On the other hand my niece has never given birth, and she is kinda prissy, so, Im really really hoping I dont have to help her deliver. lol
Child birth is already hard, it isnt fair that your experience was even harder. But, as least you can share from your experiences.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Thats okay! Its easy to misunderstand stuff when speaking online!

I think the best thing would be to read up on risks and know what too look out for that way you do only have to go there when it is necessary.

Thats good see she has done it before her body knows exactly what too do so she would more than likely be fine to deliver at home. I guess sometimes i just think more people have stuff go wrong than they do because so much went bad for me it was traumatic i got post natal depression from it and that massive failure feeling that you get when you can't deliver naturally i was 16 so i think i was just too young to understand that it wasn't my fault and stuff like that just happens!, but then i had my 2nd a perfect planned c section that went so well for me it healed all that.
Then my 3rd c section i was in labour it was planned but a few hours esrlier contractions started i have no idea what i would have done if i were in a situation like what we are speaking about and went in to labour after having had 2 c sections id have to go to the hospital and risk infection or putting mine and babies lives in danger if stuff was just really bad. Hard decisions!!!

Hahaha last thing anyone wants too do is deliver a prissy womans baby. Hopefully it doesn't happen but your thread hopefully will help people realise its definitely something to prepare for if you are a prepper, and even educating yourself on it if your not might save a new life in the future.

top topics

join