It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future Presidential Helo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It will either be made by Sikorsky or Lockheed.
Who do you think will win the bid?
and do you think this helo may have somesort of an rpg or heatseaker defense? Since terrorism threats are rising, it would only make sense that they would equip it with some sort of defensive weapon. Though I doubt any offensive.

Heres a pic of the current Presidential Helo. "Marine One" (showing its age)

The Lockheed proposal is called "US101", which has proven itself to helo pilots and has more then 55,000 hours under its belt, and by the time it goes "Presidential" in 2008 it will have over double the hours. This is "My Pick" for the winner, because its combat proven, has 3 engines so it will still be able to fly normaly with two, its easily transportable in a C-5 of C-17, its tail folds to take up less room in the plane, and since its all ready built it wont take as much money as one that needs to be designed from the ground up.

The other is Sikorsky's VH-92, they are currently bringing it to different locations giving important people rides so they can "win them over", the VH-92 presidential demonstrator does have a good look to it though. Sikorsky admits that it will take more time to make it compared to the Lockheed US101, but there "thing" that they hope will get them the contract is Saftey and all American.(they mention that because Lockheeds will be 65% US made)

It certainly looks comfy, I would love to have a window seat on that!

I think Lockheed will win based only on Money & Time.(which is less in both categories)
I like both helicopter designs, and all I can say is "it's about time" that the current presidential fleet be retired.

What do you think of the helos? Who will win? What kind of tech will be on them?

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I go for the Lockheed US101, not only because the Merlin is a brilliant helo anyway but it would also be one more British design in the US inventory

This helicopter was designed as the Westland WG.34 before it became the EHI Merlin.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
waynos - thats the only reason you would pick it, just because its a british design.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
You may well think that, I couldn't possibly comment

The two appear remarkably similar to each other don't they. Alas at the moment I can only really comment on appearance as I don't know much about the S-92.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well Waynos, I guess EVERY hypersonic platform is REALLY a US design, as we were the first to do so. Same with supersonic platforms, same with ANY platform that can reach the moon ETC....

Please, just because a aircraft looks like another, doesn't mean it is a copy.

It may well be a british desing, but let's confirm that before assumption. After all, assumption is the mother of all # ups.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Well Waynos, I guess EVERY hypersonic platform is REALLY a US design, as we were the first to do so. Same with supersonic platforms, same with ANY platform that can reach the moon ETC....

Please, just because a aircraft looks like another, doesn't mean it is a copy.

It may well be a british desing, but let's confirm that before assumption. After all, assumption is the mother of all # ups.

WTF?

I said the S-92 looks similar to the US101/Merlin, not a copy of it. I don't think its any such thing as Sikorsky is perfectly capable of designing decent helicopters, you could even say that they showed Westland the way to go back in the '50's.

edit for afterthought, if you mean I am assuming that the US101 is a British design then I am doing nothing of the sort. It is merely a fact, Westland launched the WG34 to replace the Sea King with the RN, Italy had a similar requirement so Agusta joined the project, they now own Westland itself, and it became the EH101 Merlin, the US101 is a marketing designation used in partnership with Lockheed who will handle the programme in the USA if the type is selected for service there.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by waynos]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
WG34 to EH 101 reference

sorry for replying to myself AMM but I forgot to post the link this morning and its too late to edit the other post.

I think this confirms the truth of what I said.

PS, Interesting how the swear word that is edited on the board shows up in its entirety on the reply page

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Personally I think as a US Citizen, we need to keep the production of Marine one here in the US. As for the specific make, I am pro-Sikorsky. They already have a facility with the security requirements of both building and servicing the new Marine One.

On one other note: I am over the flight test pattern for Sikorsky in CT. I see S-92's before they leave the factory. Its a excellent helo - and I do know some people who work down at the plant.

=-Rich

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The pruduction of the Helo would be in the US which is why AgustaWestland has teamed with Lockheed. I couldn't say whether the S-92 or the US101 is the best as I know little about the S-92 to be honest but the US101 might be chosen as it is an established service type, after all proven reliability has to be important when you are ferrying the President around. There could also be a political aspect to it as a sort of return favour for Britain joining the F-35 maybe?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Update, they chose US101.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
yep, not a suprise, they picked Lockheed's US-101.

Lockheed Martin win Presidential helo contract

the link
Based on the current contract schedule, the first US101 ready to transport the President is expected to be available in 2009, with the entire fleet of 23 US101 delivered to the Marine One squadron by late 2014.

I didn't relize that the president needed that large of a helo fleet, why does he need 23 helicopters?

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The US101 derivative of the AugustaWestland AW101 was designated VH-71 and began flight tests in July 2007, but the VH-71 program was canceled in June 2009 due to high costs after nine VH-71s had been completed. The new VXX contest was initiated in the early 2010s, which was won by the Sikorsky S-92, and the VIP version of the S-92 was designated VH-92, beginning flight tests in July 2017. The VH-92 was cleared for operational service in late 2021, and it has been given the official name Patriot.

Link:
seapowermagazine.org...
www.key.aero...

new topics

top topics

join