It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: US Believes Hundreds Of ISIS Fighters Killed In Kobani Strikes.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - The US military believes it has killed several hundred Islamic State fighters in air strikes in and around the Syrian town of Kobani, a Pentagon spokesman said on Wednesday.

An increased number of air strikes around the embattled town by the US-led coalition in recent days can be partly attributed to an increase in militant activity in the area, but despite the strikes, the city could still fall to Islamic State fighters, Rear Admiral John Kirby said at a news briefing in Washington.

This is fantastic if true...

More of the same please Coalition!!!

The news comes from a press briefing by Rear Admiral John Kirkby...

Who also said that the town of Kobani "could still fall"!

Kuwait News Agency - Second Source!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I wonder how they confirm these things.

They must have known ahead of time whether or not "hundreds of ISIS fighters" were there to begin with.

Now they aren't quite sure ???

It's a controlled confusion set-up.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

lol I know deja vu, right...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The coalition airstrike forces have recently been receiving coordinates of ISIS targets and feedback from the Kurdish defenders within Kobani via telephone.

The situation on the ground is still pretty murky, but it is telling that ISIS's propaganda machine has fallen relatively silent with regards to the battle for the city.

One report I read on twitter came from a Kurdish sniper who had shot dead two ISIS members trying to photograph each other with the ISIS flag within the city.

Details regarding the battle are also starting to leak out via social media.

edit on 15-10-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A field jam here is not smart because it usually gives away position.
They don't have anything better. Plink em off.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
If we have assets on station (big question that) we are very wasteful yet very good at killing. One man one hellfire missile or 20 rounds of 30mm for one guy does not impress me; however like I said we are very good at finding and destroying designated enemies regardless of the cost.

Video takes about 15 minutes to watch... It is a night operation where over 400 were claimed killed
www.liveleak.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
ISIS = WIMPS...

They talk big but they cant handle a real fight.

Heroine of Kobani: Kurdish Female Fighter Rehana 'Kills 100 Isis Jihadis' Single-handedly
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

Meet Rehana, a Kurdish female fighter who has allegedly killed over 100 members of Islamic State (ISIS) during the fight over the town of Kobani. Rumors are soaring that Rehana was possibly captured and killed by Islamic State militants, but the claim has yet to be confirmed. No matter what, Rehana is truly a hero, and her bravery should not go unnoticed. She’s just one of many female Kurdish fighters.

The women belong to the Yekineyen Parastina Jin, or Women Protection Units (YPJ). The female contingent earned international renowned after one of its fighters blew herself up in Kobani killing several Islamic State (also known as Isis) militants.

Meet The Woman Who’s Responsible For Single-Handedly Instilling Fear In ISIS

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Is this supposed to be encouraging? I am just not grasping whether they are trying to say that we're winning. Because Vietnam should have taught the US that it has nothing to do with the amount of battles you win, or the amount of enemies you kill. As long as fighters are still joining ISIS then it will not matter if we keep killing them, as that is not bringing us any closer to a resolution. As long as an overwhelming percentage of fighters are not all killed within a few months of each other, which would be extremely unlikely by the way, then killing the fighters does not matter. I know this is likely hard for some to grasp, because one would think that killing the enemy means that there are fewer enemies to fight against us, but I speak the truth. Military history proves my point, especially considering that smaller forces are even more difficult to eradicate than larger forces, because they can hide much more easily.

The US does not have the intelligence network necessary to root out all ISIS locations, which would be necessary for an attrition strategy against an insurgency to succeed, and they will not achieve such an intelligence network with the current strategy that is in place. No matter where one is fighting, when fighting an insurgent force the most important thing is intelligence, and the most important source for that intelligence is the local population. This is just as important, if not moreso, than the military actions themselves. The people must have constant protection from insurgent forces, which after a while will show the people they are safe, and then they will begin truly cooperating. When we had a large number of troops in Iraq, many of the locals who were working with us were only doing so half-heartedly. This is because they are preserving their self-interest, their own safety. They have to play both sides of the field precisely because they do not feel that the US military is going to protect them. Many people did not cooperate precisely because of this reason.

If the US strategy is simply to kill ISIS fighters, and we are not setting practical objectives to be achieved, then we will be there for many years to come. A practical objective is not to "root out and destroy the insurgency," as that is akin to killing them all, because eliminating all of them is the only way to ensure military success. But we shouldn't be looking for strictly military success. We should be looking to capture all major cities and towns, and defend them. I believe we should be denying all of these locations to ISIS. So rather than bombing and fighting willy-nilly, we should be focusing on seizing one location at a time. The US air resources should be coordinated with attacking troops on the ground. The Kurds would be more than willing to strike such an agreement, and this would be successful, but not only that, it would be WORKING TOWARDS and achievable and meaningful objective. We cannot just keep everything on hold while we attempt to eradicate ISIS. We need to be building and fixing Iraq in spite of ISIS. This is the time to strengthen the government and local military, as any weakening is likely to have an exponentially detrimental effect on the overall war effort. So America needs to either give up in Iraq, or do things correctly, at least in my opinion. What we're doing now is not decisive enough, and we will have no resolution.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

They also said that in Vietnam.

There, too it was all about the body count.

…the enemy body count was the primary measure of progress" in Westmoreland’s war of attrition. Search and destroy was coined as a phrase in 1965 to describe missions aimed at flushing the Viet Cong out of hiding, while the body count was the measuring stick for the success of any operation.

The numbers need to be high. Other wise it might be seen as a waste of time.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There are differences though.

According to Kurdish sources inside Kobani ISIS has not been retrieving the bodies of their KIAs, that is something the NVA and VC almost always did when they could, this lead to obvious exaggerations by US field commanders in an attempt to validate the excessive firepower being used by US forces.

The US's obsession with the 'body count' in Vietnam was born from the nature of that conflict, where capturing territory, aka jungle, was not an operational priority.

edit on 15-10-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
They "believe" they were killed. By whom? By coalition troops? By the white cloaked mystery people? By regular people?

They "believe" who they killed were ISIS but somehow can't be sure?

This gets curiouser and curiouser as we go deeper into this rabbit hole.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That's what you call more bang for your buck!

I miss the old stories of box cutters and flight training .....so James Bondish but ISIS in Toyota Tundras with PG-13 be-headings is way too late nite bflick.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
ISIS = WIMPS...

They talk big but they cant handle a real fight.

Ok, I'm sold!

Man can you imagine those hands bloody?

ETA: you gotta love the irony of an AK and a peace sign. Or is that marketing? Or both?
edit on 15-10-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
If we have assets on station (big question that) we are very wasteful yet very good at killing. One man one hellfire missile or 20 rounds of 30mm for one guy does not impress me; however like I said we are very good at finding and destroying designated enemies regardless of the cost.

Video takes about 15 minutes to watch... It is a night operation where over 400 were claimed killed
www.liveleak.com...

Afghanistan mate- not ISIS, Taliban.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheCrowMan

originally posted by: 727Sky

www.liveleak.com...

Afghanistan mate- not ISIS, Taliban.

I figured someone would say that !

We own the night if we have assets on station and a will to KILL... The video is a clear demo of that IMO.

We could have destroyed most of ISIS's newly acquired assets after the first city they took over, robbed the banks and killed the locals by simply hitting them on the road out of town.... Nada, Nothing, no drones, no hellfire or even 2.75 missiles nothing but a bunch of pictures of their victorious Toyota exit.

This whole ISIS thing looks more and more like an excuse to bomb Syria and take over large swaths of Iraq... Should make the Saudis and even Turkey really happy..

The Kurds are not liked by Turkey or anyone else in that region..... and as far as I am concerned they are the only sane force in the while darn part of that world.. At least they don't seem to kill those who help them like the Iraqi forces have done on numerous occasions..

I am not on the ground there and I have no inside information but IMO this whole thing is a mufti-layered Psy Op to facilitate Assad's fall, hurt Russia and Iran by DE-neighing them access to the territory and allied relationship they both have with Syria..

Like Jiggie said you can get the body count up, but there will always be more who sign on to fight.. Destroy assets and leave them nothing to fight with would be high on my priority list. Stop them from exporting and selling oil on the black market to help De-neigh them funds for their war effort..... and tell Saudi and Turkey to stop funding them or we are out of there... And when ISIS comes a knocking on their doors don't come crying to us... You made this bed, frame and all, now you can burn in it for all I care. Sounds good to me, but it won't happen for the USA/UK and no telling who else, is neck deep in this crap, along with who knows who else ?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

this lead to obvious exaggerations by US field commanders in an attempt to validate the excessive firepower being used by US forces.

How is that any different than today? Excessive firepower rules all American operations, then and now.

The US's obsession with the 'body count' in Vietnam was born from the nature of that conflict, where capturing territory, aka jungle, was not an operational priority.

Neither is capturing the trackless deserts of the ME a priority. Oil? Now thats something to consider.

!0,000 bodies in the pulverized concrete? Now thats as difficult to quantify as KIA in trackless jungle, but good for endless war and excessive firepower.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

ETA: you gotta love the irony of an AK and a peace sign. Or is that marketing? Or both?

That AK doesn't appear to have fired a shot. My guess is the guy behind her (holding his package) is the real owner.

How do you know its not a victory sign instead of peace symbol?

In WWII, prior to a feared invasion by Germany across the channel, Winston Churchill flashed the "V" symbol. In his case it meant , if every member of the population of England killed two Germans then the Nazis couldn't possibly win. Can't find a link for that, though it interesting.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua
a reply to: Murgatroid

Go Kurds!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

This is fantastic if true...

I both understand and agree with the need to oppose IS with force and as such death is inevitable, even desirable.

I just find it a bit sad that we, and I stress 'we' as I also think its fantastic news, delight in it.
I can't help but think that we are only helping to maintain the cycle of hatred and death.

'We' must do more than just kill.....exactly what that is I honestly don't know.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I hear you Freeborn.

It would be great if there was some avenue of reason we could use to treat with ISIS, there doesn't seem to be.

They are hell bent on religious war and slaughter, as I recently heard one UK ISIS Jihadi say in a video from Syria "We love death more than you love life".

There seems to be no recourse other than to deliver them to their maker as swiftly as possible.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join