It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camel Cam: Google's Desert Street View Launched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

A 10-year-old camel called Raffia was equipped with Google's Street View cameras to create panoramic shots of the desert around the Liwa Oasis in Abu Dhabi.

It is the first time the company has used an animal to capture images, but Google said it was the "most authentic" way of taking the photographs.

Camel Cam: Google's Desert Street View Launched

I think this is great! They already have the Google street view for the Giza pyramids...now perhaps avid Google users could unearth new discoveries in the desert...much like Google earth captures candid UFO photos...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: OrionsGem

That's awesome but can it be useful for the locals? What's the point besides sightseeing/"look what we did!"?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That poor camel looks like it could topple over if it walked up a hill or went a little off-balance to the side. The fellow walking him or her is far enough away that he's probably aware of that possibility/reality as well. Call the DesertArm of PETA stat.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
By the next day, the view will have completely changed. They don't call those places "the shifting sands of the desert" for nothing.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: OrionsGem

Wow,

You're on a roll. Great story I would have missed. S&F for the pics alone. That is beyond awesome to see that rig mounted on a camel...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
*checks the calendar*

Nope, not April 1st. What would people expect to see with street view in the desert? 10 miles of sand in every direction?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This is about as much use as a ginger prostitute. . Surely the sole purpose here is to get some cheap advertising for Google and their streetview database..

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: misscurious
This is about as much use as a ginger prostitute. . Surely the sole purpose here is to get some cheap advertising for Google and their streetview database..

Id have to disagree, I think this is more useful than you think...who knows what we will capture in the desert, and also the desert sky at night...remember google street view photographs the sky as well....and don't call me Shirley!!

OG

top topics

join