It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't Thomas Duncan receive Brantly's blood when the others have???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy
Seems a might unsettling to think if your blood-type falls within a certain range-and they're not addressing that range with the miracle cure?...

Wow, this post illustrates so clearly how ignorance within given subject matter can lead to extraordinary misunderstanding. No offense whatsoever to the poster but Lordy is that a misrepresentation of the actual situation. Makes you wonder if the moon landing truthers and certain other truthers are just suffering from a lack of knowledge.

Good sir, your body makes disease resistant cells to illnesses you've been exposed to. Your blood is only compatible with certain other blood types. Therefore, the disease resistant cells in your blood can only be given to people with certain blood types. Giving blood to an incompatible recipient can cause massive coagulation in that persons body, could cause a stroke or myriad other problems.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
One thing to remember when making a vaccine; you need to have the antigen you are targeting to be in a stable region of the virus' genome. What that means is that the antigen needs to be common to the virus no matter what mutations may occur to the virus. I call the HIV virus "Mr. Sloppy" because a vaccine has not been made because the virus replicates so sloppily that there has not been any consistent antigens seen on the different virus strains.

You find an antigen and have an antibody target the antigen and in the new mutated strain the antigen is missing. When that happens you will just be trading the old strain for the new strain if you create a vaccine. The HIV virus was known to have mutated at least 4 times in one person and that person had 5 different strains of the virus within his body.

From Avert.org

HIV Strains, Types, Groups

HIV is a highly variable virus which mutates very readily. This means there are many different strains of HIV, even within the body of a single infected person. - See more at: www.avert.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: FeistyFemme

Because the blood types didn't match.

Most African Americans have type O. Caucasians are about 30% O and 33% A with the other percent being split among the rest. Asians like Pham are also about 30% A with the rest being an even split.

It has been reported that Brantly has offered his blood to all the sick patients in the US, including Duncan. So far, his blood has matched with Sacra, Pham and Mukpo. It did not match with Duncan, and I'm guessing that Vinson is being moved to Emory because his blood type and hers don't match, either. If I were to get Ebola, I would not expect his blood type to match mine. I'm O.

I'll live!!!! I'm AB positive. I found out in Lab in Biology in College when they had us test ourselves to see what our blood type was.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: hammanderr

originally posted by: loveguy
Seems a might unsettling to think if your blood-type falls within a certain range-and they're not addressing that range with the miracle cure?...

Wow, this post illustrates so clearly how ignorance within given subject matter can lead to extraordinary misunderstanding. No offense whatsoever to the poster but Lordy is that a misrepresentation of the actual situation. Makes you wonder if the moon landing truthers and certain other truthers are just suffering from a lack of knowledge.

Good sir, your body makes disease resistant cells to illnesses you've been exposed to. Your blood is only compatible with certain other blood types. Therefore, the disease resistant cells in your blood can only be given to people with certain blood types. Giving blood to an incompatible recipient can cause massive coagulation in that persons body, could cause a stroke or myriad other problems.

Um, read his post again. He no where suggested giving incompatible blood to patients. His point was that people with certain blood types are at a huge disadvantage, due to limitations on compatibility compared to other blood types, so perhaps a cure should focus more on those who are severely limited in compatibility.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person in the United States to be diagnosed with Ebola and who later died, didn't receive a blood transfusion from a physician who survived the virus because their blood types didn't match.

Dr. Kent Brantly told ABC News today that his blood type is A+, while Duncan's family has said his blood type was B+, making them incompatible for a transfusion of whole blood or plasma. Blood transfusions from someone who successfully battled the virus are believed to possibly be beneficial to Ebola patients.

Had Duncan received a blood transfusion from Brantly, it would have caused hemolysis - the breakdown of red blood cells - according to Dr. Christopher Stowell, director of Transfusion Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital. [Source]

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Just a reply to people talking about the blood transfusions. If they were truly doing plasma transfusions the compatibility is not the same as red cell transfusions.

RBC (Red Blood Cells) the universal donor is O-
Plasma the universal donor is AB-

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hammanderr

Therefore, the disease resistant cells in your blood can only be given to people with certain blood types.

Which begs the question; why are not all blood-types being used/included to develop vaccine...?

Why can't we develop a vaccine that addresses each blood-type?

If ebola is indiscriminate, there should also be a vaccine that works indiscriminately against it.

How do they make flu shots good for the gander?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Which begs the question; why are not all blood-types being used/included to develop vaccine...?

The talk isn't about a vaccine, it is about blood type.

edit

Someone could have read two pages and learned some useful knowledge, but chose not to. zonk.
edit on 10/16/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/16/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: FeistyFemme

Duncan knew he was exposed and got on a commercial plane. The second Ebola patient from Duncan also knew she was exposed and she got on a commercial flight.

Based on your logic it can be assumed that black people that come into contact with Ebola are trying to infect others.

Do you see how stupid that sounds?

That is absolutely the best response I have heard yet to the Ebola is racist nonsense.

I'll remember it next time,

Black people are getting on planes with Ebola, knowing they are infected just to spread the infection to people of other races.

Great extension of truly illogical thinking!

You know how it goes. Some are already saying crazy with racist KKK mad scientists invented the stuff. You know like AIDS.....the secret government CIA plot.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

My point exactly! They need to focus on those who are unable to receive blood transfusions, due to blood incompatibility. They need to collect as much blood from survivors who have a universal blood type.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Idahomie

Not funny UDAHOE

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

You're not getting it. I have to assume you probably won't get it. It is a racist conspiracy, you're right.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
So what blood type do most black people have? This cure wouldn't work on most black people if most black people share the same blood type as Duncan.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well, you did pull the race card before a basic understanding of the medical facts. If that's not race baiting what is?a reply to: FeistyFemme

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join