It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Threatens To Call Police On Students Handing Out Constitutions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Burn the University to the ground. Nothing but crap is
being taught there anyway.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Good point. I can see free-speech zones at private Universities, having personal property rights and all. But would that apply to public universities?

Sure it does.
Try free speech in a courthouse. We the people own them.
Do you think the 4th amendment applies in a dorm or in you high school locker? Hell no. Bring on the drug sniffing dogs.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Maybe if the students read and understand the document, they might not like how it's been trodden under-foot right under their noses?

I discovered the secret of algebra! Maybe it is useful after all.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
The whole point of a free speech zone is to have the constitutionally given right to protest but at the same time give the other students the freedom to ignore you. Where will you draw the line on your right? Can you protest inside the classroom? Can a teacher read from the bible to your fourth grader? It's her right to free speech isn't it? You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to push your opinion on others. Try to bring a gun on campus and see what happens, is that right not just as important?

This lady was before rosa parks by the way but she wasn't right for the pr campaign.

www.democracynow.org...

Spoken like a true Progressive. Sad really, truly sad.

Not really religious, but the line..."Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do." comes to mind here.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If they allowed everyone to protest where ever they wanted, in any way then in theory people could easily just waltz into a Classroom and start preaching their opinions, disrupting other students and teachers.

Students are CHOSEN to learn there. It's not like some one can just walk in and start earning their degree or certification, therefore they need to follow rules.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

The whole point of a free speech zone is to have the constitutionally given right to protest but at the same time give the other students the freedom to ignore you. Where will you draw the line on your right? Can you protest inside the classroom? Can a teacher read from the bible to your fourth grader? It's her right to free speech isn't it? You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to push your opinion on others. Try to bring a gun on campus and see what happens, is that right not just as important?

This lady was before rosa parks by the way but she wasn't right for the pr campaign.

www.democracynow.org...

Spoken like a true Progressive. Sad really, truly sad.

Not really religious, but the line..."Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do." comes to mind here.

Yeah,, no
I'm definitely not a progressive. Didn't vote for black jesus. I do find it funny how people pick and choose what rights they will fight to defend.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Yeah,, no
I'm definitely not a progressive. Didn't vote for black jesus. I do find it funny how people pick and choose what rights they will fight to defend.

Sorry. I give my apologies. Sometimes it hard to determine sarcasm from what some one is actually saying on the webz. Ya know what I mean?

I don't pick any Rights though and I defend them all equally. Even if I don't agree with what is being said. But that's the point, isn't it?
edit on 15-10-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

Yeah,, no

Sorry. I give my apologies. Sometimes it hard to determine sarcasm from what some one is actually saying on the webz. Ya know what I mean?

I don't pick any Rights though and I defend them all equally. Even if I don't agree with what is being said. But that's the point, isn't it?

I absolutely understand and no apology is needed.
But we do pick the rights that we raise hell about. The guys handing out the constitution should be able to be carrying a concealed handgun but that's not allowed. Why is that not a problem?
I just think this whole situation is being blown out of proportion.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Honestly, I'm not surprised.

When you look at the country as a whole, the single place that deems itself above the constitution, that can suspend and pervert rights on a regular basis, and routinely get away with it, are school campuses. Of course they are going to try and prevent students from handing out pocket constitutions. The last thing a school wants to do, is let the average student become aware that the campus they spend the majority of their day at, also happens to be the place where the majority of their rights are suspended, revoked, and/or up for debate by a school board which cares less about public opinion than our own elected politicians

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Except that even HAVING a designated area is a violation of the first amendment, the right of the people to peaceably assemble.

Also, it is ironic that they were passing out constitutions to inform people about the rights illustrated IN the constitution BECAUSE those rights were being violated and the schools answer was to further violate those rights.

Jaden

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Except that even HAVING a designated area is a violation of the first amendment, the right of the people to peaceably assemble.

Also, it is ironic that they were passing out constitutions to inform people about the rights illustrated IN the constitution BECAUSE those rights were being violated and the schools answer was to further violate those rights.

Jaden

You don't have the right to peacefully protest in the middle of an interstate highway do you?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
No, city and local statutes do that to the 2nd amendment. Is there a city ordinance governing free speech zones?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Burn the University to the ground. Nothing but crap is
being taught there anyway.

www.sou.edu...

All of those programs are crap?

As to the topic of free speech zones, I do not think they should exist. However, as has been pointed out by others already, this doesn't give someone the right to disrupt an area/event simply because "free speech!".

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The same people now enforcing these "laws" or rules that are contrary to our Constitutional freedoms are the same people who were burning American flags in the streets back in the 60s and 70s. Irony at it's best --- or should I say worst?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

Any institution that shuns the constitution to a " free speech zone".
Is already in favor and incrementally working towards a complete ban
altogether. By past performance consistantly that's how govt. operates
with no exceptions. If that doesn't render an institution useless and
completely hostile to any and all potential subjective beneficiaries?
Then I'll drink turpentine and psss on brushfire.

I say again, burn it! And make a statement that way.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Now they can't have that now can they. Probably would of got away with it if the had put the constitution on rolling papers.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
They're at it again.

Now it's Southern Oregon University threatening to call police on students who were passing out copies of the U.S. Constitution.

They keep micro-managing free speech for what?

What are they so scared of?

Apparently, this "threat" was going on outside of a "Free Speech Zone".

Officials at Southern Oregon University threatened to call the cops on students who were passing out copies of the U.S. Constitution.

Four students at the college in Ashland were passing out pocket copies of the Constitution on campus last Tuesday while passing out a petition to end the school’s restrictive “Free-Speech Zones,” CampusReform’s Kaitlyn Schallhorn is reporting. The zone encompasses less than one percent of the campus.

The students were approached numerous times by police and school officials, all who insisted the group move to the campus’ “Free Speech Zone.”

Nit-Pickey and Petty Jealousy

Heaven forbid the kids know what their rights are. Wouldn't want the Sheeple to wake up, now would we? And we sure and heck don't want them waking other sheeple up! Quick! Call the police! Be sure to heard them into the tiny Free Speech Zone!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

They broke the rules at the school. Whats the problem? All they had to do was got to the designated area.

You broke the rules about the internet, ATS is not a designated free speech zone, and as such no one can post there.

See why the whole idea is not just stupid, but also illegal and unconstitutional?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Jaden

You don't have the right to peacefully protest in the middle of an interstate highway do you?

You also do not have the right to declare people can only protest in the woods where no one will see them.

The school is not saying a few areas are off limits (which would make sense, you can't burst into classrooms), they are saying EVERYWHERE is off limits ... except for small out of the way zones they decide upon.

Unconstitutional.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Anywhere in the USA is a free speech zone. The whole country is a free speech zone. Tell the idiot police and school faculty that have the education and behavioral traits of a goat, to read the constitution which is the law of the country. And if they don't understand, tell them to get a 5th grader to explain it for them. If they can't read, tell them to report to the school Dean for their scheduled lobotomy.

Oh, I forgot, our own president doesn't like any of the laws of the United States and breaks them so often, that his crew of idiots that follow his every whim or thought as the new Gospel, are common place in schools and police forces (because they are unionized and brainwashed to all vote democrat, (or in realistic words, the New communist party of America), so don't count on coherent words or logical suggestions being understood by these people.

These people also do not approve of free speech because it has a way of being used to criticize them, and being criticized by other viewpoints is not on the list of things they tolerate. Tolerance is only the name of the one way street their mindset claims any residence at. Don't believe me? Just call Harry Reid and ask him! (Or ask Butter cup Barack himself).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join