It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Threatens To Call Police On Students Handing Out Constitutions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
They're at it again.

Now it's Southern Oregon University threatening to call police on students who were passing out copies of the U.S. Constitution.

They keep micro-managing free speech for what?

What are they so scared of?

Apparently, this "threat" was going on outside of a "Free Speech Zone".

Officials at Southern Oregon University threatened to call the cops on students who were passing out copies of the U.S. Constitution.

Four students at the college in Ashland were passing out pocket copies of the Constitution on campus last Tuesday while passing out a petition to end the school’s restrictive “Free-Speech Zones,” CampusReform’s Kaitlyn Schallhorn is reporting. The zone encompasses less than one percent of the campus.

The students were approached numerous times by police and school officials, all who insisted the group move to the campus’ “Free Speech Zone.”

School Threatens To Call Police On Students Handing Out Constitutions

Nit-Pickey and Petty Jealousy

edit on Oct-15-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I didn't know that the US constitution was an illegal/against the rules thing to distribute...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Public college. Not private.

How would "free speech zones" be legal?

Just ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
They broke the rules at the school. Whats the problem? All they had to do was got to the designated area.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It figures something like that would happen in Oregon. It would probably be a good time to rant about how Oregon is one of the worst places in the world. Like just thinking about Oregon makes me sick.

+27 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
They broke the rules at the school. Whats the problem? All they had to do was got to the designated area.

And all Rosa Parks had to do was move to the back of the bus.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Designated area? Like Aushwitz maybe? How can you be in the support of the expression of free speech?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

The whole country and every scrap of it is the only "free-speech zone" that matters, or let the heavens fall.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The whole point of a free speech zone is to have the constitutionally given right to protest but at the same time give the other students the freedom to ignore you. Where will you draw the line on your right? Can you protest inside the classroom? Can a teacher read from the bible to your fourth grader? It's her right to free speech isn't it? You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to push your opinion on others. Try to bring a gun on campus and see what happens, is that right not just as important?

This lady was before rosa parks by the way but she wasn't right for the pr campaign.

www.democracynow.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I live in Southern Oregon. Ashland is one of the most liberal towns on the west coast. Oregon itself is a liberal state, because of population dense zones, but Ashland tends to pride itself on always being able to get an exception to the rules. Somehow they are allowed to charge tax on prepared food when the rest of the state does not; they allow public nudity (though you have to be in a state of motion, no sun bathing nude). You can buy pot just as easily as you can get 3 photo copies at Kinko's.

So I guess this doesn't surprise me. I'm with Chiefsmom, this is a public institution, not private and come to think of it, I am not aware of any "free speech zones" in Southern Oregon and didn't realize SOU enforced this. Stupidity at it's finest...or maybe it's "attempt at control" at it's finest...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Forget we're in America? The thing they're afraid of is students thinking for themselves and realizing that absorbing then reciting pre-approved facts is not education, it's indoctrination.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
school must be run by ignorant scumbags who hate freedom

#MERICA

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Lock 'em up and throw away the key. The key amendments that is.

Free speech zones? hahahahahahaha huh?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a designated 'free speech zone' is not only a contradiction in terms, it's an insult to the concept of free expression.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

The school is breaking the rules of the country. That is a problem, maybe they should have all federal funding stripped and go to a country that more aligns with their views of free speech, University of Our Glorious Leader, N. Korea branch.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
People that know their rights are a threat to the establishment. We must keep that 'inconvenient' Constitution out of the hands of our young people or they might think they are free.

ETA: "Inconvenient" was the term Obama used for the Constitution in an interview.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

The whole country and every scrap of it is the only "free-speech zone" that matters, or let the heavens fall.

Then the heavens fell a LONG TIME AGO! Try protesting around an inauguration or political convention or campaign event...been that way for years. Designated zones only. Or sometimes by permit only.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

The school is breaking the rules of the country. That is a problem, maybe they should have all federal funding stripped and go to a country that more aligns with their views of free speech, University of Our Glorious Leader, N. Korea branch.

Then they also break the rules by making schools gun free zones. Or are we cherry picking what rules in the constitution we follow? Rights have limit as to where they can be applied.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think free-speech zones are simply wrong, but let's look at the reality of this incident.

They were not threatened with arrest just for handing out constitutions. They were also asking people to sign a petition, which would require students to stop and sign or discuss the issue.

I don't know how large this school is, but at large universities there can be thousands of students going from building to building and having them stop to sign a petition can cause some issues with the "flow of traffic".

So I'm not a fan of these free-speech zones, but these people need to be wiser about how they do things so that it doesn't interrupt those that are just trying to get to class.
edit on 10/15/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Good point. I can see free-speech zones at private Universities, having personal property rights and all. But would that apply to public universities?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join