It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I spoke with ninety members of the House and Senate about what's gone so wrong in Congress.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The history shows it isn't very different from the past 12 years. Spread the blame to all of them.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Thanks for clearing that up!

Professional politicians are not responsible to the voters, but lobbyist dollars keep them in control!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Congress is controlled by the money of mega corporations, banks, big pharma, and any other group rich enough to buy politicians.

Elections are a sham that keep the sheep feeling like they have some influence over what happens in this country. They keep us distracted with this "conservative vs liberal" and "republican vs democrat" battle to take our focus off of the real enemies.
edit on 10/15/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Congress is controlled by the money of mega corporations, banks, big pharma, and any other group rich enough to buy politicians.

Elections are a sham that keep the sheep feeling like they have some influence over what happens in this country. They keep us distracted with this "conservative vs liberal" and "republican vs democrat" battle to take our focus off of the real enemies.

Its not just congress when the president gets 35K a plate dinners and senators chase campaign contributions as much or more than congress. Expecting them to change the law effecting this is as ignorant as expecting them to be subject to Obama Care. Clearly what's good for us is not good for them.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Wonder what will happen?

Same as always.

The dumb dip #s of general public will vote how they are told to vote or cause they have a family tradition of voting a certain way and the same corrupt puppets will get re-election from both your two corrupt parties.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

but lobbyist dollars keep them in control!

you hit the nail on the head right there. if lobbyist and the people and or companies they work for were restricted from having contact with of elected officials, the majority of them would not run for office. then maybe we could get back to for the people by the people, the way it was meant to be.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

Its not just congress when the president gets 35K a plate dinners and senators chase campaign contributions as much or more than congress. Expecting them to change the law effecting this is as ignorant as expecting them to be subject to Obama Care. Clearly what's good for us is not good for them.

I was referring to the lot of them.

Congress is comprised of the Senate and the House of Representatives, remember?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The same # as it ever was. Corruption is the enemy. You can be corrupted for the right price.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
That was a very good article, I'm saving it to link to people in the future. It's an interesting take on how Congress functions in practice from those currently in the middle of it.

I feel like the article kind of contradicts itself though, it makes all of these points and then closes with quotes from a bunch of senators being as partisan as possible after having spent the entire article trying to say that everyone recognizes that it's a bad attitude and they really don't want to be that way. I feel like the statement "change begins with you" is lost on them.

Other than that I liked this quote from the article:
"When you look at the cost of a House seat now—which is about $1.6 million or something—you've got to raise that money,"

I want to follow it up with another quote about the collapse of Rome from within. I've long since lost the original quote but it followed along the lines that becoming a Senator in Rome had become so costly that Senators seeking election would have to spend almost all of their time fundraising for the next campaign, and that this fundraising and desperation for money lead to increasingly corrupt political promises.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I was referring to the lot of them.

Congress is comprised of the Senate and the House of Representatives, remember?

Of course I do but the average American refers to and thinks Congress as being separate not the second house. This is why Democrats, the president, and the MSM call them the do nothing congress. Have you ever heard that? Who do you think they (Democrats) are referring to? Do you think they are including the Senate?

When you point out the whole useless lot of them you have to make that distinction for the uneducated and ill informed.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad Some actual journalism, worth reading. More so, the article following with a number of suggestions a to make Congress function. Everyone I know has great ideas, like move the Iceland volcano to Capitol Hill, but this was a team of ex-congressional leaders of both sides agreeing. Any thoughts on these?

And what would it take for this to go though? I'm thinking both houses tied, or within 1 vote of tied.

www.esquire.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join