It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed says makes breakthrough on Fusion Energy project

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ten years huh.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Ten years huh.

Foil hat feels tighter than usual

Thinks it's been around for a while eh?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
For some reason I really doubt we'll see a viable fusion energy solution here on Earth in 10, let alone 20+ years.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

There have been rumors that its further along than that.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

This may be true, but I don't see it being used in the civilian world anytime soon...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I do based on what I heard.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
A fusion powered car would really be something. This could end our dependence on fossil fuels and be the next stage of energy production. If it can really pan out and end up being something significant this is incredible news. Possible history in the making.

Any electric car can be "fusion powered".

We don't have to wait decades to "end our dependance on fossil fuel".

Miniaturizing fusion reactors and installing one in each vehicle is unnecessary when we can get abundant, inexpensive electricity from fusion powered electrical generating stations.

A vehicle with it's own fusion reactor would still need to have it's own electrical generating system and batteries as well as an electric motor for propulsion.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I'm absolutely celebrating too! It's fantastic news. I found this video on The Verge article:

I'll add it to the first post if possible

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

This news just came out, so I'll wait for the independent tests to come through in their own time.

The E-Cat has been trying to ramp up publicity since at least 2012 and repeatedly make claims that require independent testing, which has never been done without Rossi messing with the device and samples, and he refuses to release technical details of the device claiming patent issues. Rossi is a convicted white collar criminal with a history of fraud. The one device he CLAIMED to have shipped to a customer never arrived, he cited "gasket" problems.

Goods Not Delivered

In my mind, Rossi and his "E-Cat" are about as plausible as the fellow in the tophat on a street corner selling his miracle cream.

At least Lockheed has a history of releasing products that you know... WORK.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Hmmm...interesting.

Although i'd be a little hesitant to introduce nano devices that can't be switched off.

But it is an interesting idea, cheers.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
For some reason I really doubt we'll see a viable fusion energy solution here on Earth in 10, let alone 20+ years.

They also said back in the day that the exclusively battery powered cars & hybrids wouldn't be in public hands that quickly, let alone that they would catch on. Now look around the road, and all those plates of crow. I think fusion power is going to be about the same prevalence. It won't dominate just yet, but it'll be there loud & proud. Baby steps,in other words.

This has a massive potential to catapult us in several areas. The medical sector is my first thought. Imagine how many remote areas with limited or no electricity would benefit from this to power medical equipment. Imagine how many areas could benefit from it after natural disasters. Fossil fuel generators run a high risk of being without their fuel quickly, this would last a whole lot longer.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Batteries for electric cars are the problem. Take too long to charge, range too short, too heavy, too expensive, don't last. End our dependence on fossil fuels? That's a big question and won't happen anytime soon with our current technology. I just want a fusion powered flying car is that too much to ask? Probably.

edit on 15-10-2014 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

We must have been told different things then...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
a reply to: Psynic

Batteries for electric cars are the problem. Take too long to charge, range too short, too heavy, too expensive, don't last. End our dependence on fossil fuels? That's a big question and won't happen anytime soon with our current technology.

My friend with an electric car just passed 17,000 miles and has spent about $500 on electricity for it. He seems pretty pleased with himself, and makes sure to mention the car every time we talk.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Given this is coming from Lockheed, it wouldn't surprise me at all if nuclear fusion propulsion has been tested in the black world for some time already and only now are they looking to commercialize it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Would you buy an electric car for your next car? The ICE/hybrid is a better option IMO.

Electric motors are great for cars, much smaller lighter and more efficient than ICE. It's just the current battery technology which lets it down.
edit on 15-10-2014 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Nicorette

I wouldn't say awhile, but I've run across a document here and there that uses wording that I've never seen used in that context before, that leads me to believe it's farther than they say, besides the interesting rumors.
edit on 10/15/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

If it's small enough to fit in a truck, would be small and light enough to power an airframe?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

With the size and weight of many of the commercial jet engines we see on the market, I imagine fitting one of these to an airframe or spacecraft would be trivial.
edit on 15-10-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: i cnt spel

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join