It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Lawsuits for the Justice Department?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The release of a report critical of the DOJ's post-Sept. 11 roundup of terror suspects could mean legal action against some officials
By VIVECA NOVAK
Certain employees of the Justice Department have been advised to hire lawyers to defend them in a spate of lawsuits that could be filed shortly by people who were detained in the wake of 9/11.

On Monday, the department's Inspector General is expected to release a report that will be critical of the government's roundup of nearly 800 individuals on immigration charges after the terrorist bombings in New York and Washington. The report, according to someone who is familiar with it, will criticize officials for not allowing many of the detainees to see an immigration judge, and holding detainees for lengthy periods even when it was increasingly clear they had nothing to do with terrorism.

The Inspector General's office said last July that the report should be ready by October 2002. In January of this year, it said its findings were complete and the report should be out shortly. It's unclear why the report has taken so long to be finalized, but sources say that there were discussions within the administration about the feasibility of delaying its release. Another portion of the report, dealing with conditions of confinement and access to counsel, is expected to be less critical.

www.time.com...

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is good. I hate it that people in the government would just "roundup" people because of their race. I hope that the people who were wronged win the lawsuit. People in the government can get away with big things, but they will sooner or later get charged with something.

I do not know what keeping the report for so long means, but it means something very important. Dont both sides in the law suit have to get the information right as it is come by. I thought it was illegal to withold evidence.

A side note why did they choose the work "roundup"? The word connotes animals being hearded not people being detained.

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
We had to do, what we had to do.

Now we gotta say sorry.

They should win their lawsuits.

join