It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plans Afoot to Mine Moon for Helium-3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

www.newindianexpress.com...‘Plans-Afoot-to-Mine-Moon-for-Helium-3’/2014/10/14/article2477717.ece

After the success of Moon and Mars mission, India is vying along with several other countries to plan missions to tap the resources in the heavenly bodies for economic prosperity and energy security, a top Indian scientist said.

Renowned defence technologist and father of ‘BrahMos’ cruise missile, Apathukatha Sivathanu Pillai, who was honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award by Rotary Club of Madras, told reporters that India and several other countries are vying to mine the moon for Helium-3, which could be used in nuclear reactors to provide enormous amount of power without any harmful carbon emissions or radioactive products.

He said that currently nuclear plants use nuclear fission technology, the process in which uranium nuclei is split resulting in release of energy besides nuclear waste that has to be stored securely, to generate power but scientists across the world are working to develop a nuclear fusion reactor. Under nuclear fusion, the reactors use the same energy source that power stars and sun.

He said currently a consortium of global scientists, including from India are working on International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor and their focus is to develop a fusion reactor that uses helium 3 and deuterium. Interestingly, the solar winds have helium but our atmosphere absorbs it. However, in moon there is no atmosphere as such the helium lies untapped.

“I predict by the next two decades we could see missions being carried out to tap the resources in moon,” the scientist said.

Exciting times ahead , We also know that China is planning to mine Helium 3 in the moon as well . Wonder what the resource wars of the next generation will look like . I just hope we get to pool our resources and work for humanity as a whole rather than each country doing it for themselves .

Recently NASA has announced Lunabotics mining competition where 36 teams of undergraduate and graduate students from around the globe tested their robot designs in a challenge at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida.

During the competition, teams were asked to design remotely controlled excavators, called lunabots, to determine which could collect the most simulated lunar soil during a specified timeframe.

thediplomat.com...
However, supplying the planet with fusion power for centuries requires that we first return to the moon. At present, only China has this in mind, with its Chang’e program, a lunar exploration program that will send astronauts to the moon by the early 2020s. If Beijing wins the second “race for the moon,” and establishes a sustained human outpost conducting helium-3 mining operations, it would establish the same kind of monopoly that in the past created the fortunes of ventures like the East India Company. The ramifications would be significant, to say the least.

I suggest reading through the replies in the link above , some very good informative posts..

The Research and development needed for this project and infrastructure and the costs needed for transportation of Helium back to earth would be revolutionary and would definitely give a big leap to our civilization by leaps and bounds . I know its far away in the future and i may never get to see it but if our younger generations can benefit from this project then we need to start it ASAP.

edit on 15-10-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

S&F for the info, well presented.

A question, though: these countries will mine helium to feed thermonuclear reactors. Will these thermonuclear reactors be located on the Moon, or on Earth? I am asking because an international law forbids the installation of mass-destruction weapons on celestial bodies, and thermonuclear technologies could easily become weapons of mass destruction.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Unfortunately, Helium 3 fusion has not panned out.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I just watched a you tube video last night about the Moon. Helium 3 was mentioned.

Take a look/listen at the 44:30 time mark, this is where the discussion starts on Helium 3.

leolady

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have a few questions.
As the moon loses its mass during this hypothetical mining ,will it effect its orbit would it have to be brought closer as it lost mass ?

If we lost mass on the moon would this effect the moons pull on the tides ???,i would surmise this to be a real possibility and therefore concerns the whole world .
can we really allow a country to mine the moon as this effects the whole world ,the moon needs to be declared a no go for any sort of mining/rape.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
I have a few questions.
As the moon loses its mass during this hypothetical mining ,will it effect its orbit would it have to be brought closer as it lost mass ?

If we lost mass on the moon would this effect the moons pull on the tides ???,i would surmise this to be a real possibility and therefore concerns the whole world .
can we really allow a country to mine the moon as this effects the whole world ,the moon needs to be declared a no go for any sort of mining/rape.

In my head the figures should be really enormous to actually have any significant effect what you are thinking about.

Think about the sizes we're talking about here, moon might seem small but really, even couple of millions or even billion tons has any change, and how about the time to dig these amounts, hundred? two hundred years? long scope, big numbers..

edit on 15/10/2014 by Nupster because: quote

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien

So you think its wise to just keep "mining/raping" & polluting our own life support system, well leaving a barren rock that's completely void of any life alone?

I tend to think it would be far more logical to work towards doing the exact opposite. We should be putting all our resources towards creating technology that would allow all our mining operations and polluting industries to take place off earth, ensuring earth stays a clean green paradise. Earth should be a kind of protected global park.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I certainly hope they finally get the ball rolling. I've been hearing and reading about Helium 3 for some time now, How it would totally change how we here on Earth could be doing things, Cleaner, Cheaper and above all, free from Resource wars and greed for profits.

The downside supposedly is the expense of mining, However what usually gets left out of that argument is the fact that the profits would offset the initial costs. If that's not a BIG enough incentive then maybe a total change in perspective is needed, One where we work for the good of humanity instead of worrying about a bottom line.

Think about it.

If we as a species had a total change in what is deemed important and priorities we could pull together and not just mine H3 from the moon but solve many global issues. Instead we fight and kill each other over, Greed, Race, Profit, Territory, Dwindling resources and who stepped on Marylou's toe etc.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Makes perfect sense to mine the Moons Helium 3 and then build ships in the low gravity environment/orbit using the abundant resource to power said craft. This is a workable solution to the eventual colonisation of Mars and outer planets and Moons of our solar system.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

AFAIK A reactor does not equal a WMD. If that were the case, every nuclear power plant in the world would be considered the same.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

Well... technically the same tech are used. Fusion is fusion, regardless if it heats water to run a turbine or if it is used to blow up a target. Thus the controversy over many nuclear programs here on Earth.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Absolutely, and I do agree with you in that I think they should be guarded/governed with that exact train of thought in mind! I feel that we've raped our planet enough for its resources, why start the same destructive process on another celestial body? My hope is that these new advances in small-scale high-yield fusion reactors will start pushing us closer to not relying on natural resources as heavily. It'd be a total pipe dream to say "FREE ENERGY IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!", because we all know big oil and TPTB won't have that. :-(

new topics

top topics

join