It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges filed in disgusting ice bucket challenge "prank"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Complaints have been filed in Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court against five youths who allegedly humiliated a classmate by dumping a bucket of urine, tobacco spit and water over his head shortly before the start of the school year – and captured the act on video.

Good those little bastards need a reality check. Perhaps they'll gain some humility.

I was furious when this story first broke. Taking advantage of a kid with mental issues, and they are definitely old enough to know better. I'm all for kids being kids and the occasional prank, but this was clearly over the line. Young guy already has enough to deal with, being made the but of a disgusting joke shouldn't be another.

I could certainly be a dick when I was younger, but kids with mental issues or any other handicap were off limits. That seemed like the rule with everyone else too.

Based on evidence gathered during a thorough investigation by the Bay Village Police Department, three of the juveniles were charged with two counts of delinquency, Assault and Disorderly Conduct.

The other two juveniles were each charged with a single count of Disorderly Conduct.

I feel like the charges are pretty much adequate. I don't know what Disorderly Conduct holds punishment wise. I'm glad that the victims family was consulted and agrees with the charges too. Of course I don't think the kids need to be locked up, but I do hope they get enough punishment so that they realize this was a big mistake.

Link

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Eh there's tons of people out there who were raised to have no empathy at all.

My highly empathic sister (who was widely loved and respected by her peers) often came home crying over how mean kids were to less popular kids. Some of these times were because she saw people attacking handicapped children. Most often no one besides her stepped in at all.

All these crazy news stories about violence and discrimination and other clearly awful things are just symptoms if our nation's severe mental illness. When money and success are the only goals empathy and love by necessity must take the back seat.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I disagree. The charges should be harsher, and the kids definitely need some jail time. This was more than a prank. They dumped a bucket of human waste ON A KID WITH DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES. Human waste. They exposed him to a number of very serious, harmful pathogens, and it is known that people with mental disabilities tend to have weaker immune systems and are more prone to disease. Reckless endangerment should be added.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Better than it could've been, my mind went right to "Carrie" when I read the title...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I exclude the 'developmental issues' completely when thinking about this case. This was not some 'juvenile' prank. These 'kids' carefully planned the event.

They're lucky it wasn't one of my kids they pulled this on. I don't call the cops.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

You know what, I agree.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I disagree only because human urine is sterile and can't hurt you. Not that I am volunteering to have it dumped on me, but at least it wasn't feces.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

According to this, human urine is not sterile...

Is human urine sterile?

Again, is human urine sterile?

It's irrelevant though. This was a sickening act.
......sh#t like this is the reason I nearly beat a kid to death when I was 16 years old! I nearly went to prison for that one and I don't regret it a bit....would do it over in a heartbeat.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I don't think locking them up will do a damn bit of good. Punishments need to start fitting the crime. It's pretty obvious by now that warehousing bodies doesn't deter criminals and often just makes them worse. These kids need to be put to work serving their community, more specifically the developmentally delayed population.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SilverStarGazer

I don't think locking them up will do a damn bit of good. Punishments need to start fitting the crime. It's pretty obvious by now that warehousing bodies doesn't deter criminals and often just makes them worse. These kids need to be put to work serving their community, more specifically the developmentally delayed population.

I agree with this.

I'd have rather seen like..400 hours of community service within mental help organizations. These kids don't need to have their freedom taken away, they need perspective.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If it had been ordinary ice-water, and the child did not have mental issues, it should still have been a case of assault.
Those points just aggravate the offence.

edit on 15-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Awareness, I like this approach.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SilverStarGazer

Bravo sir. Jail has caused far more problems than it's fixed.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think that endangerment should be added onto their record along with the disorderly conduct charge. It's high time that these kids and kids that act like this get more punishment for their actions. I don't think these people should be locked up because jailtime does nothing, and when they are released they are more likely to land themselves back in jail because they can't rejoin society. Sorry, but I don't want my tax dollars on and off supporting these people for the rest of their lives.

I don't know what to do about these kids. I often wonder what would happen if we started punishing the parents as well, when a child does something viewed as wrong. I mean, it's the parents job to keep kids out of trouble and to raise them to know right from wrong. But even that, I don't think would do any good.

Kids are way out of line. Once upon a time parents hit their kids, and any authority figure could hit any child without it being seen as abuse. And kids didn't pull this crap. They rarely misbehaved. I think we should go back to that.

top topics

join