It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurses' Union: Shocking Ways that TX Presbyterian Hospital Bungled it!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Just when it can't get worse in Texas, facts are emerging, and none will surprise you.
CNN reports that the nurses' union is blasting Texas Presbyterian for constantly changing the guidelines to
care for an Ebola patient. Also, Duncan was not isolated immediately --officials blocked it until a nurse
supervisor demanded it. Duncan's blood was sent to the lab via the tube system, not delivered in person.

Sources:
CNN's Anderson Cooper Live
www.cnn.com...
www.christianpost.com...
edit on 14-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

"Duncan wasn't in isolation for hours" -- www.am1280thepatriot.com...
edit on 14-10-2014 by drwill because: Sources added

edit on 14-10-2014 by drwill because: CNN link

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: drwill

Nurses Blast Hospitals Over Ebola Safety

WASHINGTON –- A national nurses union said during a hastily-scheduled press conference Tuesday evening that hospitals are dropping the ball on safety for nurses caring for Ebola patients.RoseAnn DeMoro, director of National Nurses United, which has been critical of hospitals' response to the Ebola crisis, said safety protocols recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have not been followed by the Dallas hospital where Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, died last week.

“Our nurses are not protected, they’re not prepared to handle Ebola or any other pandemics,” DeMoro said. “The protocols that should have been in place in Dallas were not in place and are not in place anywhere in the United States, as far as we can tell.”

The CDC has said it would do more hands-on training with health care workers after officials confirmed over the weekend that Nina Pham, a nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, contracted Ebola after caring for Duncan.

Deborah Burger, co-director of the nurses union, read an account of hospital conditions she said had been given from nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian. The statement painted a portrait of carelessness, with nurses who interacted with Duncan wearing flimsy gowns and protective gear that left parts of their bodies exposed.

"Nurses had to interact with Mr. Duncan with whatever protective equipment was available at the time when he had copious amounts of diarrhea and vomiting, which produces a lot of contagious fluid," Burger said.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Someones gonna yell for a link so ill ask ahead. (Edit: I apologize you added it! and I spoke to soon)

Ya there is has been quite a lot of confusion with this stuff. I mentioned in another thread that I don't think it is even intentional at this point....people just don't know # about ebola and how to deal with it. I also think you have hospital policy vs cdc policy vs whatever the heck other guidelines are out there.

When katrina hit, New Orleans failed miserably at responding...but a town just outside called Sidell? or something like that had a plan for disasters that they rapidly tweaked for the emergency and ended up looking great because they had a plan. If there is nothing in place people are winging it in real time and that rarely works.

This is uncharted waters for America and I imagine quite a few more mishaps are coming.
edit on 14-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just watching this now on CNN.

Nurses told to wrap medical tape around their necks if they were too concerned about exposure.

Duncan's medical waste piled to the ceiling, because there was no plan to deal with it.

Morons.

Almost seems like purposeful incompetence.
edit on 14-10-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

This is uncharted waters for America and I imagine quite a few more mishaps are coming.

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
I'm still shaking my head.
And shocked that Anderson Cooper didn't make a bigger deal out of it.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Not only that, but did you get the next segment with a doctor saying you can't get ebola with someone sneezing in the same room?

WTF????

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
That doc would be the first to scream if a possible Ebola patient sneezed in the next room. lol
We talked to an infectious disease expert, and he poo poo'd Ebola. It's this cavalier, know-it-all attitude
that is our "danger of the moment," perhaps far worse than the virus.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Now watching Bagdad Frieden get his ass kicked on FOX.

Amazing.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm going over there now. Thanks for the head's up!
Finally, someone confronted Freaky!!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

As soon as I find an upload of it, I'll post it.

Was quite brutal. She deserves a freakin medal.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thank you! I would love to read that. Hope the world does, too. I've been waiting and waiting for MSM to go after Frieden, and dang, I missed it!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Yup. First time I've seen him forced to answer the tough questions.

I doubt he'll go on FOX again.

Too bad Kelly didn't have what CNN just reported about Duncan's case. It could have been much worse for him.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
How does Dallas handle a possible 70 exposed health care workers?

It doesn't. Maybe the the Army does.

What would this astonishing lack of protocols do to the current rate of infection estimations for the U.S.?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Creepy IMO. Programed like. No expression. Almost sounds like delayed words that are typed into a voice.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I caught the end of the segment. So people are calling for Freaky to resign (but no good replacement, just a
Talking Doll that says one thing: "Can't stop commercial flights bx no one can deliver help."

Speaking of the CDC, I hope it's not true that TX Presbyterian sent Duncan's blood samples via the tube system,

Transporting Specimens within the Hospital / Institution
In compliance with 29 CFR 1910.1030, specimens should be placed in a durable, leak-proof secondary container for transport within a facility. To reduce the risk of breakage or leaks, do not use any pneumatic tube system for transporting suspected EVD specimens.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet
He sounds like when Crazy Jethro (just making up a name) has been sufficiently subdued after his wife, Mad Matilda, has whipped his ass proper with a fly flap.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
That's a great idea! Now that the hospital is a boiling cauldron of pustulence, why not turn it into an Ebola treatment center?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Here it is:

edit on 14-10-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'll try to post the video of these as well.

Here are some of the other allegations the nurses made, according to the union:

-- On the day that Thomas Eric Duncan was admitted to the hospital, he was "left for several hours, not in isolation, in an area where other patients were present." Up to seven other patients were present in that area, the nurses said, according to the union.

-- A nursing supervisor faced resistance from hospital authorities when the supervisor demanded that Duncan be moved to an isolation unit, the nurses said, according to the union.

-- After expressing concerns that their necks were exposed even as they wore protective gear, the nurses were told to wrap their necks with medical tape, the union says. "They were told to use medical tape and had to use four to five pieces of medical tape wound around their neck. The nurses have expressed a lot of concern about how difficult it is to remove the tape from their neck," Burger said.

-- "Nurses have substantial concern that these conditions may lead to infection of other nurses and patients," Burger said.

-- At one point during Duncan's care, "there was no one to pick up hazardous waste as it piled to the ceiling."

-- "In the end the nurses strongly feel unsupported, unprepared, lied to and deserted," Burger said.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join