It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban Ki-moon: Gaza is a source of shame to the international community

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

(Why does this channel block ATS?)

www.theguardian.com...

The UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, described the destruction in Gaza from the recent conflict with Israel as “beyond description” and a source of “shame to the international community” as he visited the war-devastated coastal strip on Tuesday.

“I am here with a heavy heart,” Ban told a press conference. “The destruction which I have seen coming here is beyond description,” he added.

Ban said the damage was far worse than what he had seen after the previous conflict – Operation Cast Lead – that took place in 2008-09.

The UN chief was driven through the ruins of Gaza City’s Shuja’iya neighbourhood and visited a school in nearby Jabaliya refugee camp, scenes of some of the heaviest Israeli shelling in this summer’s conflict.

Two classrooms at the UN school were hit by shells, killing at least 14 people sheltering there. Relatives of the dead held up posters showing their loved ones, while waiting to catch a glimpse of the UN head.

Ban saved his strongest language for the deaths of about 500 children during the war.

“I met so many of the beautiful children of Gaza. More than 500 were killed in the fighting – many more were wounded. What did they do wrong? Being born in Gaza is not a crime.”

Criticising both Israel and Hamas, he added:

“Perhaps nothing so powerfully symbolises this summer of suffering than the Jabaliya school. Thousands of women, children, families were forced to flee the intense hostilities. They sought sanctuary under the UN flag. All of the details related to the location of this facility were shared with Israeli authorities again and again. Yet the shells fell.”

During a question-and-answer session with journalists, Ban insisted that those “who have committed criminal acts, those who have violated international humanitarian law must be investigated and brought to justice”.

“As you know, the UN Human Rights Council has established a commission of inquiry, which is now investigating. Upon our strong urging the government of Israel has established their own independent, criminal investigations. I, as secretary general of the United Nations, am considering establishing my own board of inquiry to investigate the shelling of the UN facilities and killing of UN staff. With all these three commissions and boards of inquiry I am sure we will be able to find and bring justice.”

On Monday, Ban criticised Israel for its continued building of settlements on land the Palestinians seek for an independent state and urged both sides to return to meaningful negotiations as soon as possible. Ban, who last visited the territory in 2012, said at a donor conference in Egypt on Sunday that his trip to the Palestinian enclave was “to listen directly to the people of Gaza”.

He's considering opening his own investigation? Why consider, just do it?

It's estimated to cost at least 1.6 billion to repair the damage caused, damage not seen since Operation Cast Lead. Qatar is currently the top donor donating over 5 billion. Israel has lifted some blockades to allow construction materials through. Over a hundred thousand Palestinians are homeless camping in their destroyed communities.

edit on 14-10-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I wonder with all these construction materials if they rebuild all those tunnels again

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Things are looking up over there first the UK recognize Palestine and now this.
I wonder who will be fuming out of his ears now?.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

It's obvious they'll never stop digging tunnels as long as Hamas is in power.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

France too is again pondering that too.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

It's obvious they won't stop digging tunnels until Israel stops practicing genocide and apartheid.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
I wonder with all these construction materials if they rebuild all those tunnels again

Shall we compare the recent conflict and compare the amount of damage the tunnels did to Israel compared to what Israel did to Gaza? I mean you are hard pressed to defend Israel with the tunnel nonsense.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Like Israel gives a *snip* what the UN says. Regardless if the UN is internationally recognized and respected, they are an organization of gentiles and goyim to Israel.

This reads more like a pat on the head for Palestine. Like the UN can even do anything to help the Palestinians. Israel will fire at the UN as quick as it would Hamas.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
yeah tunnels:
let in some food and some crayons and maybe the tunnels will stop

the jews built tunnels to get food and medical supplies passed the NAZIS in the warsaw Ghetto
funny thing about turnabout being fair play

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

They built those tunnels with materials slated for the civilian population,for many all is fair in love and war but its always the civilians that do without.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

That too. For any peace plan to ever work Hamas needs to be removed. They're only good for marauding their people.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Israel doesn't care what the UN thinks about them. They'll blast them, as per usual, for saying anything negative at all about them.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Islam is a shame for all humanity.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xavi1000

Nothing bigoted about that comment.

What if I replaced Islam with Judaism? Would you call me an anti semite?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Nah all religion is.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xavi1000

Yes but don't leave out the other two Abrahamic Religions of Judaism and Christianity. All three should be abolished.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Can't say I don't disagree. Religion has brought us much war, death, and destruction.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: xavi1000

No extremists are the shame of the world be they Islamic or Zionist.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Imagine a world without those three....
What a great world that would be.
It will happen in a few generations.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Nothing bigoted about that comment.

What if I replaced Islam with Judaism? Would you call me an anti semite?

No, Judaism is same crap.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join