It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal experimental infections of rhesus monkeys by aerosolized Ebola virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Lethal experimental infections of rhesus monkeys by aerosolized Ebola virus

Excerpt:

The potential of aerogenic infection by Ebola virus was established by using a head-only exposure aerosol system. Virus-containing droplets of 0.8-1.2 microns were generated and administered into the respiratory tract of rhesus monkeys via inhalation. Inhalation of viral doses as low as 400 plaque-forming units of virus caused a rapidly fatal disease in 4-5 days.

This is not a new study in the least since it was published back in Aug-1995 but I felt the subject bears renewed scrutiny and further discussion. This thread is for the purpose of furthering the discussion of aerosol Ebola virus pathogenesis.

My concern upon reading the full text of this study was the dual use potential of the data in its findings. I thought immediately that the potential terrorism that might be done using this method of distribution of the virus by aerosolization should be a concern since no amount of screening would stop it.

The rise of Islamic State terrorist in the area of the Ebola virus infected nations and the deep pockets of the jihads is of concern.

What do you think? Am I just being paranoid?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: sourcecontroller

Paranoid ... no. But I think you should replace the IS by US and jihad by government.
...it probably weren't scientists doing a hobby on how to earosol ebola. Someone must have ordered for it. And it probably weren't jihadists ... nor IS fighters.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: sourcecontroller

The rise of Islamic State terrorist in the area of the Ebola virus infected nations and the deep pockets of the jihads is of concern.

Perhaps your paranoia should be directed at those that weaponized ebola by making it in the aerosol form in the first place.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

How long might the virus live outside of the host? I ask, because is should be robust if it's to be weaponized. It seems way beyond the capability of an ad hoc collection of jihadists to genetically engineer a virus.

I would worry more about bio-warfare by sovereigns. It would be too easy to blame on ISIL.

from this, it doesn't seem to be that contagious. Wash hands.

According to the recent W.H.O. statement, high levels of Ebola virus in saliva are rare except in the sickest victims, and whole virus has never been found in sweat. The fluids known to build up high viral loads are blood, feces and vomit.

No one has tested Ebola transmission on subways. But no case of transmission to a human from a dry surface has ever been confirmed. The C.D.C. has said there is “no epidemiological evidence” for transmission from hospital surfaces, including bed rails and door knobs – which are as close as a hospital room gets to having a subway pole and a bus handle. A 2007 study cited by C.D.C. experts shows that swabs of 31 surfaces — including bed frames, a spit bowl and a used stethoscope — in a very dangerous environment, an active Ebola ward in Uganda, — did not have virus

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
no. I think it's a question that bears asking simply because the study was done, at all.
But that's just me. However, why else study that?
tetra

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: sourcecontroller

Perhaps your paranoia should be directed at those that weaponized ebola by making it in the aerosol form in the first place.

exactly. kind of what i was trying to say. But, it doesn't really matter who might make use of it, if it's made use of in this way, by weaponization.
tetra

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They have been doing experiments on people at least in their own words since 2006, they completed a study in 2009, and will not release the details of the study.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bubbabuddha
all i can say is wow. looks more like a zombie apocalypse there.
2nd

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

To answer your question if the virus was as in this experiment grown in a growth medium and that was then mixed with perhaps 1 liter of standard LR 5% solution and kept at body temp in its original IV bag say against someone's body it would stay alive and continue to multiply in the solution until made into an aerosol.

How that would be done I would not care to comment on but it certainly is doable with no sophisticated equipment needed.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

the author of Pandemic said last night on coat to coast am that if a patient put their finger or thumb in their mouth and then wiped it onto a desk top surface that it would remain alive for 4-6 days.

new topics

top topics

join