It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Infestation of Bald Faced Wasps and why we are leaving them be for now.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

I guarantee you there have been lots of lawsuits. Maybe none that make the news, but it would be very surprising to me if a town of 500 had 0 lawsuits.

I'm concerned about lawsuits because they happen, and can be ridiculously expensive. That and your home owners insurance may not cover the costs since you didn't remove the nest.

I highly doubt anything is going to happen, but it's such a simple precaution to remove the nest.

Not removing it because nothing has happened is like not having insurance because you've never caused a wreck. Crap happens.

If anything I'm just trying to make sure you don't get sued and nobody gets hurt. I respect you not wanting to kill them for no reason, we just disagree that there are some valid reasons. I'm pretty sure you could transport the nest without killing too many bees anyway.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: pasiphae

i respect the fact that you want to leave them because they are beneficial.... however, because they are so close to humans i think it's dangerous to leave them there. the lawsuit issue is a valid point too.

Could you please tell me where bee's/wasps.....are not in close proximity to humans?
Antarctica perhaps, I doubt there are many lawyers there due to the lack of Bees. :-)

Thanks for your input and thoughts.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I understand your thoughts on live and let live, but I also believe that you have to control. Like having termites in your home, there fine if they are eating on a tree out on a hill, but when they get into your home you have to do something. These wasps are beneficial to the ecosystem, and should be left alone when out in the wild, but when they pose a risk to you or your neighbors, you have to control the situation. If not for you, than for your neighbors.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

If anything I'm just trying to make sure you don't get sued and nobody gets hurt. I respect you not wanting to kill them for no reason, we just disagree that there are some valid reasons. I'm pretty sure you could transport the nest without killing too many bees anyway.
a reply to: Domo1

Thanks for the reply, no you cannot transport a paper nest, it is glued to the tree.
On a positive note the bees are keeping the squirrels out of the tree and therefore we are the proud owners of a
Maple tree that has no squirrel nest in it nor have the chewed the crap out of it.

Thanks for your very nice post and I agree we disagree but that makes this site so much fun.......
Until the lawyers show up. :-)

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 14-10-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Are these wasp the type that like to eat wood? If so there is a chance that they can get into your attic and begin eating and nesting.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

I can point to my neighbours Oak tree, its massive by the way.....and say that is a problem down the road.

Can I sue when we all know trees die sooner or later and bees sting sooner or later and the sun rises sooner or later?

In most states, you can sue for damages if a neighbor's tree has been identified as being precarious or diseased by a qualified arborist and then comes down, damaging your property. In fact, in most states YOU won't even have to sue, your insurance company will sue the neighbor in your stead to cover their payout (Unless your insurance company flatly refuses your claim, in which case it all falls on your shoulders.)

The point you're missing here is that neighbors have complained. If one of your neighbors has taken the additional step of monumentalizing their complaint in writing (electronic or otherwise) to you, then you are seriously at a disadvantage when someone is stung. You'd be (likely) in the clear if you suddenly walked out of your house and a swarm of previously unknown bees went from your porch to your neighbor's yard, stinging them. That would qualify as an unknown danger which you could not be reasonably expected to have done due dilligence to prevent harm from. THIS, however, does not meet that test because you not only know about the wasps, your neighbors have noticed them and asked you to do something about them.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

www.dailymotion.com...

Do it chinese way

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer

Are these wasp the type that like to eat wood? If so there is a chance that they can get into your attic and begin eating and nesting.

No they build paper nests and eat insects only, Is there a bee that eats wood?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I had a nice basketball sized nest this summer in one of my smaller trees. It was about chest high and close to the house. those bald guys built that nest in a week.. I was shocked when I went to cut the grass one weekend and the swarm nearly knocked me of my mower when i drove near it..at first I thought a ball of paper blew into the tree from a neighbors newspaper box or something till I saw the swarm around it, by that time I was about 3 feet from it. Needless to say I escaped unstung. I called the exterminators the next day and the issue was over. The next week I went out to my shed and found another hive of what looked like plain hornets, that one was about the side if a kick ball.. Those guys almost got me when I soaked their hive with a foaming wasp killer.. One thing though.. I am glad we have winters.
edit on 15-10-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Lil Drummerboy

Scary story especially if you watched the first video in my OP.
To date these black and white wasps have not bothered anyone.....and you are correct thank the gods we have winters.
They will be all dead come the first freeze and that should be within the next two weeks or so.

Thanks for you story and did you ever finish cutting the grass ? :-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

yeah, got the grass cut. I actually felt bad after I had the baldcondo eradicated. they worked so hard to build it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lil Drummerboy

yeah, got the grass cut. I actually felt bad after I had the baldcondo eradicated. they worked so hard to build it.

Laughing here, Yep the one in our tree is about the size of a football but over inflated.
It must have took them awhile to make it and it's a really amazing structure once you get close enough to examine it.

Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join