It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

musicians/bands generally accepted at great that you do NOT like

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: CardiffGiant

The music. Everyone knows this. They are constantly being sued.

It's WIDELY known. Look up led zeppelin plagiarism part 1 on youtube and see the old blues artists they ripped. As for Stairway to Heaven they stole it from a song called Spirit by Taurus.

i thought you were talking about taurus and i guess i am not everyone.
in their defense, a lawsuit does not equal guilt...

i know that gallows pole was an old leadbelly folk/blues tune called gallis pole.

did they 'steal' that or did they remake it?

edit*

if i am reading correctly there is no infringement there

en.wikipedia.org...

"The Maid Freed from the Gallows" is one of many titles of a centuries-old folk song about a condemned maiden pleading for someone to buy her freedom from the executioner. In the collection of ballads compiled by Francis James Child in the late nineteenth century, it is indexed as Child Ballad number 95; eleven variants, some fragmentary, are indexed as 95A to 95K.[1] The Roud number is 144. The ballad existed in a number of folkloric variants from many different countries, and has been remade in a variety of formats. It was recorded in 1939 as "The Gallis Pole" by folk singer Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter, but the most famous version was the 1970 arrangement of the Fred Gerlach version by English rock band Led Zeppelin, which was titled "Gallows Pole" on the album Led Zeppelin III.

-------------------------------------

it looks like they remade ledbelly's version of this^^^^

im not big on copyright law but i dont think stuff from the 19th century is copyrighted...after a certain amount of time they expire.

there are no copyrights on the old classical compositions
edit on 15-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I am talking about Taurus. I mixed up band and song. And its more than a resemblence. Jimmy "borrowed" it after Zeppelin opened for Spirit on their American tour.

Even jimmy page referred to the band as a cover band. So if all his great moments were taken from other guitarists.. whats left to arguw he is a great? Whats his great original contribution.
edit on 15-10-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
For the Rush haters - I dare you to watch Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage and come away with the same attitude you have now. Go ahead, knock the battery off my shoulder, I dare you.

But this is the point of the thread... some people don't like some bands.
I could harp on about how The Beatles are the most influential band and that people should listen to Abbey Road or The Anthologies and blah blah... and that Led Zep are incredible and there musicianship is unparalleled etc etc... but it doesn't matter - most people's minds are made up and they've heard what they've heard and are not interested in getting to know the band or discovering their music - or they just hate it.

It's all good.

It's what makes the world interesting.

I've heard people say that Bob Marley is boring... I've heard people say that The Beatles were not creative (and that was in this thread LOL) and all manner of other stuff.

It's all just opinions man, don't take it to heart.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

I am talking about Taurus. I mixed up band and song. And its more than a resemblence. Jimmy "borrowed" it after Zeppelin opened for Spirit on their American tour.

Even jimmy page referred to the band as a cover band. So if all his great moments were taken from other guitarists.. whats left to arguw he is a great? Whats his great original contribution.

i can iive with that. i dont know the particulars but there is a definite melody that sounds like taurus so ok..

you said something like they are always getting sued...what else have they ripped off? if gallows pole is it i dont think its an actual rip off.
note, i dont really care that much either way. not trying to defend them...trying to get my facts straight for me.

i know they 'borrow' a lot of mythical type language from old texts and such....tossing in tolkien and such

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

It's all just opinions man, don't take it to heart.

yup.
put that in my first post. even used the dude to get that message across.

it is opinion. someone a few posts back listed dream theater as a band they dont like....i dig dream theater. everything is not for everyone.

i dont like elvis costello

im gonna go for broke and say im not really a michael jackson fan...

all his best ever...king of pop....i just dont feel it.

of course i like a few songs. thriller was huge when i was about 8. billie jean is a good tune.
i love me some old jackson 5 but other than that i dont think michael jackson is as awesome as everyone says he was...

just not a fan.

however, for one of his tours a while back he used jennifer batten for the guitar and then years later used orianthi....points for that.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Ill have to look it up. If I wasnt on my phone id post links and videos.

I think its most noteworthy that their magnum opus was stolen. There are several others, but even if they are in public domain its not about being aued its about having creative original work wrongly attributed to Page causing people to think hes in yhe running for the greatest.

In my opinion John Frusciante and Bob Quine are both greater guitarista than page by light years.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

No McCartney? Not uncle albert/admiral halsey or mrs. Vandebilt?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I said Jimmy was the greatest Rock N Roll guitarist. Not guitarist. Obviously this is all subjective.

Yes 3 notes from Stairway (Overblown song) are the same as Taurus. Not the whole song. Play them both start to finish and tell me how much is plagiarized.

Jimmy was an innovator. He recorded and layered over FIFTY guitar tracks for the song Ten Years Gone, which is a beautiful song that blows Stairway out of the water.

Now objectively speaking, and most any guitarists here will hate me for saying this;

Brian Carroll is the greatest guitarist who will ever pick up an axe. He has 99 studio albums spanning every genre including classical music Bach style. He has collabed with musicians from every era and he can play any stringed instrument with disgusting perfection.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psychonautics

Brian Carroll is the greatest guitarist who will ever pick up an axe. He has 99 studio albums spanning every genre including classical music Bach style. He has collabed with musicians from every era and he can play any stringed instrument with disgusting perfection.

bucket is always in my top guitarists...he can play anything...a true virtuoso.
also, his body of work is amazing. so much material.

i think he probably has more than 99 by now with all the pikes he has been releasing.

en.wikipedia.org...

Brian Patrick Carroll (born May 13, 1969), better known by his stage name Buckethead, is an American guitarist and multi-instrumentalist who has worked within many genres of music. He has released 114 studio albums, four special releases and one EP. He has performed on over 50 more albums by other artists.

he puts out a crazy amount of material every month. plus all the soundtracks and the like that he has played on.
truly one of the best players ever to pick it up.
definitely a virtuoso

en.wikipedia.org...

The following is a discography of works by Buckethead, which currently consists of 115 studio albums, 4 special releases, 1 extended play, 2 demo tapes, 3 video releases, 2 DVDs, 3 music videos and 10 songs not released on albums. Since 1994, Buckethead has released 6 studio efforts under the anagram of Death Cube K. He has totaled 61 works with other bands and artists. The total number of works with other artists and himself is 108. His compilation albums and guest appearances total 98. In total, Buckethead has been involved with 204 different projects. As of his 115th album, "Walk in Loset", his total studio album running time is approximately 68 hours.

^^^^^^thats amazing

he has released 44 albums this year alone...

his soundtracks are awesome too
last action hero, johnny mnemonic, power rangers, mortal kombat, beverly hills ninja, ghosts of mars, saw 2..

bucket really is a musical genius. there will never be another bucket..

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

maybe but I just want to take the bucket off his head and beat him with it. Nothing against his playing. I'm just not listening to you with KFC on your head because I'm too distracted by the effen bucket on your friggen head. I guess you can't be a sucky player if use a gimmick like that.
edit on 15-10-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

maybe but I just want to take the bucket off his head and beat him with it. Nothing against his playing.

whaaaaat?
i want to hang out with him and play with toys....

buckethead is another exception to my theatrics rule....

he really does not not incorporate a bunch of theatrics......he wears a mask and bucket....sometimes he dances or works the nunchuks but thats about it.

he's all about keeping his appearance a secret. nothing wrong with that.

just like jandek did for the longest time
much like the residents....people still dont know what they look like
daft punk as well

i think he does it so it is ALL about the music and not him and his personal life.

there are only 2 known pics of bucket and theyre both from a ling time ago.
edit on 15-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I was going to write out a long list, but I hate everything. I hate all commercial music. Its all image and a farce /hype.

I love music, but I hate "business model" musicians.

I hate rage against the machine in a special way. What the hell are they "raging" against? They are the freaking machine.

Oh, and I really hate Lincoln park. and Korn.
edit on 10 15 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
i dont feel like uploading the pics but here is one

4.bp.blogspot.com...

this is the other

4.bp.blogspot.com...

here are the residents performing with someone. as far as i know they have never been unmasked

cdn.stereogum.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Ahh....just having fun and keeping with the spirit of the thread.

But really didn't know that he was considered that good. Honestly, the look is hard to take seriously. Then again, I thought Jim Morrison was cool as heck when i was a kid. You know getting so wasted before a show that he couldn't perform. How cool is that? Maybe a bucket isn't so bad

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

i used to hear his name and see it mentioned all the time before i decided to check him out. at first i was very much put off by the mask and bucket because i usually feel like the gimmicks are a distraction from the music to cover up the fact that the music is not that great.
not the case with bucket.

another thing is he has so much material and plays so many different styles as well as banjo and bass, if you pick the 'wrong' song(s) to start with buckethead you might be put off.

he has a lot of shred type stuff and thats what people usually associate him with...he does a lot of acoustic work as well as progressive/jam type music with praxis and les claypool too.

you kind of just have to dig in and see where you go.

avoid his stuff with the deli creeps though. he was still cutting his teeth i think and there is a huge difference in that material vs his other stuff. so i would say start post deli creeps.

cant go wrong with transmutation b praxis.
cant go wrong with anything he did with claypool
acoustic shards is fantastic. giant robot is another one.....if you start with some of that you will be good to go

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The beatles vs nickelback.
Who would you want to see first...a bunch of hippies with acoustic guitars or some pyro and a good drummer?

I hated nickelback but after seeing them in concert....sold.
Lots of pyro and hard hitting,a great drum solo and just loud and in your face...screw the beatles,they need to go back to rock n roll school to top that.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Stix. That dude's voice is as annoying as blackboard screeches.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
I was going to write out a long list, but I hate everything. I hate all commercial music. Its all image and a farce /hype.
I love music, but I hate "business model" musicians.
I hate rage against the machine in a special way. What the hell are they "raging" against? They are the freaking machine.
Oh, and I really hate Lincoln park. and Korn.

I was going post the same thing. every band listed here was packaged and sold. Lyrics were sanitized, songs were cut short for the attention deficit public and a look was provided so we can look just like them. Its really not much different than the catchy jingle selling some product. The comments on this thread say it all. The same arguments can be made over any competing product. Windows vs Mac. Comcast vs Verizon. Brands of toilet paper. Charmin sucks! No it doesn't. Its the softest!

That's funny what you said about Rage. Its kind of the same story with any "non conformist" culture. The first thing they all do is get a look and a sound that you have to conform with in order to belong

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
The beatles vs nickelback.
Who would you want to see first...a bunch of hippies with acoustic guitars or some pyro and a good drummer?

neither. And the Beatles were posers

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Talking Heads....there just aren't words for that endless drivel.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join