It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we react differently to different terrorist organasiations? IS vs IRA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am going to be very careful with this question but I feel it one that needs to be asked.

I am not defending anyone or any terrorist organisation but I do not understand how one terrorist group can be attacked with air strikes and what ammounts to a full on war yet another has little or no attempt to the alert the public to there actions and motives.

Here in the Europe there has been as far as I am aware been no bomb threats actually found to be the work of ISIS/IS yet other terrorist groups are being found with actual bombs and weapons caches.

Why are the world goverments dealing with these organisations so differently?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Could you give us bullet points of the differences you perceive?

On the face of things it seems quite obvious why groups like the IRA are treated differently. The IRA are not openly occupying large or even medium sized spaces in obvious capacity. Further to this, the IRA aren't targeting for example people from Belfast and beheading them for believing in secular government practice.

I feel I am missing something critical in your post though!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The IRA were pre War on Terror, ISIL/ISIS is post War on Terror. It's the US Governments war, with the aid of a few NATO countries. There's a whole world of difference unfortunately, do you see many fund raising events in the U.S for ISIL/ISIS? There were plenty for the IRA.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
Could you give us bullet points of the differences you perceive?

On the face of things it seems quite obvious why groups like the IRA are treated differently. The IRA are not openly occupying large or even medium sized spaces in obvious capacity. Further to this, the IRA aren't targeting for example people from Belfast and beheading them for believing in secular government practice.

I feel I am missing something critical in your post though!

No time for bullet points right now but I agree I did not bother to back up any of my statements with anything solid.

I suppose what I meant was the current IS situation in being banded about almost constantly as a terrorist threat whilst acual European terrorism is treated differently.

This for starters but will come back with a few more if anyones interested.

Link

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That question bears a lot of consideration, but I think that maybe the simplest answer, assuming you're referring to a comparison between the IRA and IS is to say that groups like the IRA, (there's a similar group in Spain I can't recall the name of), are seen as groups that threaten only one National government that typically style themselves as Independence movements. IS and/or Al Qaeda, for example, are seen as being a threat to the entire Global system of established order. So, for example, IS wants to establish a "Caliphate" with a Theocracy style government across all of the Middle East, North Africa and southern Spain.

Any way, that's the best idea I can come up with.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm guessing it has to do with natural resources of the country we're dealing with...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

That question bears a lot of consideration, but I think that maybe the simplest answer, assuming you're referring to a comparison between the IRA and IS is to say that groups like the IRA, (there's a similar group in Spain I can't recall the name of), are seen as groups that threaten only one National government that typically style themselves as Independence movements. IS and/or Al Qaeda, for example, are seen as being a threat to the entire Global system of established order. So, for example, IS wants to establish a "Caliphate" with a Theocracy style government across all of the Middle East, North Africa and southern Spain.

I think the group you refer to is/was calded ETA. I have no idea if they are still active.

But yes thats the point I am making ISIS (I will refer to them as that if I may as it feels odd writing IS is) have only to my understanding commited acts of terror within there own countries as of yet.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
I'm guessing it has to do with natural resources of the country we're dealing with...

Now then, you have no proof for that whatsover, can you back that up with any real evidence

edit on 1020141030pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-14T13:16:30-05:0016f16 by nonspecific because: Beer

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Basically the IRA were fighting the British Crown. Kinda sells to Americans that did the same. Not to mention the big Irish population in the States. Birds of a feather so to speak.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
are there really can you show proof to that statement ?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
There's a whole world of difference do you see many fund raising events in the U.S for ISIL/ISIS? There were plenty for the IRA.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: crostkev

Do you mean proof of American funding of the Ira post 2001. I do not have any to hand but I think it is fairly well documented.

From what I understand it dissipated after 9/11 but as stated have no evidence to hand.
edit on 1020141049pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-14T13:43:49-05:0043f43 by nonspecific because: Beer

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

IRA is nowaday more «polital» than violent. Killings were fewer and against government institutions.

Now go to this page and look at the video:

www.mirror.co.uk...

ISIS is about mass killing of people and terror.

It's like comparing humans with animals.

Yes, I chose my words. These are animals.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The IRA had/has one narrow focus - freeing Ireland from British rule. Had they done so, they made no noises or showed no inclination toward world domination.

ISIS kills everyone and everything that isn't ISIS and openly threatens the entire world.

I guess I could ask why no one else in the world is worried about the Christian extremist groups that bombed abortion clinics?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
The IRA had/has one narrow focus - freeing Ireland from British rule. Had they done so, they made no noises or showed no inclination toward world domination.

ISIS kills everyone and everything that isn't ISIS and openly threatens the entire world.

I guess I could ask why no one else in the world is worried about the Christian extremist groups that bombed abortion clinics?

A fair comment but I would question your statement that

"ISIS kills everyone and everything that isn't ISIS and openly threatens the entire world"

I do not beleive that to be a true statement but would love to se your proof for it.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Did you not read the post properly? I said 'there were'. As the IRA officially no longer exist and they chose the political route with Sinn Fein, I am guessing there aren't any more fund raisers for them, but there were, plenty of them.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: TonyS

I think the group you refer to is/was calded ETA. I have no idea if they are still active.

But yes thats the point I am making ISIS (I will refer to them as that if I may as it feels odd writing IS is) have only to my understanding commited acts of terror within there own countries as of yet.

ETA have officially agreed a ceasefire and I think they have now gone political.

Edited to add - en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14/10/14 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Did you not read the post properly? I said 'there were'. As the IRA officially no longer exist and they chose the political route with Sinn Fein, I am guessing there aren't any more fund raisers for them, but there were, plenty of them.

Is it true that the Ira no longer exist? Appologies if that is the case as I beleived they are still around but changed there "Name" and splintered.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

There is a splinter group called 'The real IRA' but they have not undertaken any terrorist acts on mainland U.K. Although occasionally they assassinate the odd Protestant or informant.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Living in the United States, we really don't hear that much about the IRA but ISIS is on the MSM every single day.

I also find it doubtful that the IRA would be beheading people, including children, left and right in the name of god.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join