It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 new Ebola cases per week could be seen, WHO warns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
There is actually pretty good cure for Ebola, I wonder why its not used more commonly. With Lamivudine, the mortality rate so far has been only 13%. Lamivudine, antiviral drug, used as HIV treatment, and Ebola is very similar to HIV (It multiplies exact same way). It only works when its taken early though.

Doctor treats Ebola with HIV drug in Liberia -- seemingly successfully

(CNN) -- A doctor in rural Liberia inundated with Ebola patients says he's had good results with a treatment he tried out of sheer desperation: an HIV drug.
Dr. Gorbee Logan has given the drug, lamivudine, to 15 Ebola patients, and all but two survived. That's about a 13% mortality rate.
Across West Africa, the virus has killed 70% of its victims.
Outside Logan's Ebola center in Tubmanburg, four of his recovering patients walk the grounds, always staying inside the fence that separates the Ebola patients from everyone else.
"My stomach was hurting; I was feeling weak; I was vomiting," Elizabeth Kundu, 23, says of her bout with the virus. "They gave me medicine, and I'm feeling fine. We take it, and we can eat -- we're feeling fine in our bodies."
Kundu and the other 12 patients who took the lamivudine and survived, received the drug in the first five days or so of their illness. The two patients who died received it between days five and eight.
"I'm sure that when [patients] present early, this medicine can help," Logan said. "I've proven it right in my center."
CNN

edit on 14-10-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Lets hope that someone out there is immune to it. Kinda like Ellie from The Last of Us.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Lets hope that someone out there is immune to it. Kinda like Ellie from The Last of Us.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoeDaShom

Well, there are cases in Africa where people for some reason have high resistance for Ebola, they have antibodies in their blood and they are almost immune to Ebola. There might be key to cure Ebola if we found out why some people have these antibodies and to know which groups have them. The research is still ongoing. In fact, their blood alone can cure the Ebola because of the antibodies.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps
1 MILLION PEOPLE are expected to die from Malaria in Africa this year. Is that a crisis or not? 10,000 cases a week for 52 weeks is 520,000, slightly over half. Are we afraid for ourselves or Africans? So far the handling of Ebola in the U.S. had been amateurish. How many epidemic movies have you seen? Zombie movies? Resident Evil? Do nurses and doctors not get training about diseases that are transmitted by bodily fluids? It is pretty basic stuff really. Quarantines? Protective gear? I can go to Home Depot and cover myself totally with gloves, face shield and mask, tyvek suit, vinyl suit, plenty of chemical sterilizers..... its not rocket science in this day and age, we had SARS scares, swine flu, avian flu....... this is NOT new as far as methology goes, just a particular disease that is transmitted EXACTLY as many other diseases we have already trained for yet is new to us in the U.S.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

And yet ebola has overtaken malaria as the biggest killer in Liberia in mere months.

And your math is way off it would not stay at 10,000 a week

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: joho99

I would think ebola raises the hair on people's necks in scaring them far more than the SARS virus, which never turned into a mass happening and was much more easily transmitted... the same with other avian or swine flus. In this day and age, it is the superstitious attitude and behavior that is still common in Africa that causes the spread of the virus. There were only 10 doctors in all of Liberia according to one media source! I find that hard to believe but.... witch doctors don't count, do they? If it is so easy to avoid, as in, avoid bodily fluids, the rapidly increasing numbers may stop as they reach more "civilized" and modern countries with more easily spread knowledge of how to react, thanks to media and smart phones and the internet. People still get burned at the stake for being witches over there.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

I really do hope you are right but i have my doubts.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The UN health agency said that 4,555 people had died from Ebola out of a total of 9,216 cases registered in seven countries, as of October 14.

A toll dated just two days earlier had put the death toll at 4,493 out of 8,997 cases.

The WHO splits the seven affected countries into two groups.

The first is comprised of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone -- by far the worst affected nations.

Liberia is the worst-hit of all, with 4,262 cases and 2,484 deaths, as of October 13.

Sierra Leone meanwhile counted 3,410 cases as of October 14, 1,200 of whom had died.

Guinea, where the epidemic originated in December, had seen 1,519 cases and 862 deaths as of October 14.

The second group counts countries with far fewer cases, including Senegal, which was declared Ebola-free by the WHO Friday.

[Source]

Slowly creeping...and about 5% of the deaths are healthcare workers.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

<< 1   >>

join