It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPs vote to recognise Palestinian state, adding to pressure on Israel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
A parliament vote is the only way "government" can make a decision...

That is not true. Government decisions are made in Cabinet or through other government processes.
Somtimes they consult Parliament and sometimes they have to.Laws must go through Parliament.
But a vote in the House of Commons simply does not make decisions for the government on matters of foreign policy.
This vote was a publicity gesture, nothing more, which is why the government could afford to let the motion pass.
The United Kingdom, as a state, has not yet done any recognising, and will not until the Cabinet of the day decides that it is a good idea.
Then it will probably be announced by the Foreign Secretary.

You speak as if it's invalid when it's clearly not!

I speak as if it is gesture politics, with no practical impact on the decisions of government, and it is.
Even the opening line of the article you quoted called it "a symbolic move". That's what it is- a symbolic move, not a practical one.

edit on 14-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Jack Straw, who I quoted in the OP, stated this is not just a gesture and that's why Israel is feeling the pressure...

Forgive me if I take his word and not yours!!!

Symbolic Gesture;

significant purely in terms of what is being represented or implied.
"the release of the dissident was an important symbolic gesture"
synonyms: emblematic, representative, typical, characteristic, distinctive, symptomatic;

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Jack Straw felt obliged to deny that it was a symbolic gesture because he knew that everybody would see it as a symbolic gesture.
He was one of the promoters of the motion,of course he would see it like that.
But the only practical effect that even he could see in the motion was that it would be "pressure" on the israeli government.

What do you think "recognition" means in practice? Exchange of ambassadors and embassies, yes?
Well, that won't happen until the Foreign Office decides to do it, and that will depend on vote in Cabinet (which will agree to whatever the Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary have decided).
Nothing practical will happen on the strength of a vote in the House of Commons.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

The UK is gone...It is done...Won't be long and it will be completely run by the Izlamaniacs and Shariah will prevail...

Where did you get this info from Rush or FOX or one of the other news outlets run by Rupert Murdoch? There has been numerous times that members from the UK in this forum has said that was nothing but BS.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

You're a right kill-joy

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Unfortunately realism sometimes does have that effect.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Reality is vast and we can't necessarily speak on the practical side yet because it hasn't been addressed...

It's a good start for Palestine anyways...
Can't deny that!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

The UK is gone...It is done...Won't be long and it will be completely run by the Izlamaniacs and Shariah will prevail...

Oh please tell us how 4% of the UK population (and how many of those would want an Islamic UK?) are going to force the rest of us into what you think is going to happen.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

I'd bet that you don't even know what Sharia Law is...
edit on 15-10-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Look

People who intend to run for public office should be required to graduate this simple course...

But that's just me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join