It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airline Apologizes for Flight Attendant's Treatment of Soldier

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Malynn

So where is your disgust then for the po0liticians? Or is it easier to blame the military?

Extending the courtesy of respect does not mean you have to agree with their actions. Secondly where did the solider in the article serve in combat? Or are you lumping all military members into the same group?

finally, they took up arms to fight.

Did you when the politicians or corporate heads started the war in the first place?

I dont mind you not liking the military... Its the hypocrisy and cowardice you show that I have an issue with.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Its funny how people give more respect to soldiers, where one of the primary functions of their job is to kill people. Yet don't give the same respect to doctors, fire fighters, ambulance technicians, who's sole function is to SAVE people.

Yes, a soldier accepts the risk of being killed by opposing enemy as part of their job, and they deserve HUGE respect for that. However a fire fighter accepts the risk of being burned to death, trapped under falling debris. Ambulance workers accept the risk of being shot at by meth-heads after the drugs in their vehicle. Doctors accept the risk of contracting potentially terminal diseases from their patients. Why do they not get the same level of respect?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
At the cost of sounding insensitive, he could have bought a ticket in first class or found any other solution to not wrinkle his jacket.
Had it been a civilian asking the same thing, nobody would have cared.
Now sure, they could have let him hang his jacket, i mean no big deal, but to have to issue an explanation, and an apology over something so silly just further proves how PC and over sensitive we are becoming

Exactly.

I thought the USA was a captilist country?

The Airline is a a PRIVTAE co operation not government owned therefore has no obligation to the US government and those that serve except in paying taxes.

Dont see why a serving military personal should get special treatment?

If they want to hang a coat up he should have brought a first class ticket as it is a CIVILIAN establishment.

Why not give doctors and nurses special treatment too? Or teachers as they give just as much and do just as important jobs?

Or should only people that kill be treated like they give valuable contributions?

This. If an airline chooses to do something nice for a serviceman, that's nice of them. However, they are not obligated to recognize service nor rank.

In addition, there is some debate on the military forums I frequent on the authenticity of the gentleman in question and whether or not he was violating regulations by wearing his uniform for personal, not official, travel (IE, going to job interviews.)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Thats something that struck me.

I dont know how the US military works. But in the UK you cant really wear your uniform for off duty travel and to get free stuff, at least none of the guys I know do.

I agree if a company wants to give a certain person a perk that's 100% cool, but really company policy is down to a company.

Soon as you start interfering on who should be entitled to what perks you get into muddy territory.

What I do think they are entailed to is government benefits and medical support as the government was the the one that sent them in harms ways. So they should pay up and give them their reward for there service.

As I have stated I do not hate or love the military, I just treat them as people, though I MAY be tempted if I need to take employees on one day give certain servicemen CV extra attentions and interview preference as the regiment in my area do have some useful skills Id love to grab.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Thats something that struck me.

I dont know how the US military works. But in the UK you cant really wear your uniform for off duty travel and to get free stuff, at least none of the guys I know do.

I agree if a company wants to give a certain person a perk that's 100% cool, but really company policy is down to a company.

Soon as you start interfering on who should be entitled to what perks you get into muddy territory.

What I do think they are entailed to is government benefits and medical support as the government was the the one that sent them in harms ways. So they should pay up and give them their reward for there service.

As I have stated I do not hate or love the military, I just treat them as people, though I MAY be tempted if I need to take employees on one day give certain servicemen CV extra attentions and interview preference as the regiment in my area do have some useful skills Id love to grab.

It is definitely against Army regs to wear your uniform for personal travel, only official travel. If the articles I've seen were accurate, he was going to job interviews, and thus would have been in violation as that would have been personal business, not Army business.

In addition, I've seen photos of him in both a senior enlisted and officer's uniforms so I've a strong suspicion that he was trying to pull a fast one. What that "fast one" was, I'm not sure, but something smells fishy about this story.
edit on 14-10-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

I went into Law enforcement to serve the people in my community. Not to get a pat on the back for doing my job. I would imagine almost everyone in a line of work where danger is ever present went into it knowing what was required and that at some point you could end up being killed because of the dangers involved.

I doubt the bulk of people in emergency services / military go into that line of work for medals and expected pats on the back.

The guy wanted a place to hang his uniform jacket. He was not asking for a first class seat or preferential treatment. He did not demand such treatment. He did not make an argument based on his military service.
edit on 14-10-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Perhaps you should re-read my post with more of an eye toward reading comprehension.

What does my disgust for politicians (which is extremely high btw) have to do with my not worshipping the military? The topic of the post is an armed forces member. Also, where did I say I did not respect them? I respect them as much as any regular person. What I will not do is bend-over backwards or show more respect or admiration for a service member than anyone else just because they kill people in foreign countries.

(post by acacko removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You seem to be putting an awful lot of emphasis on the whole "THEY'RE KILLING PEOPLE" thing. I sense a personal motive, but you have to keep in mind that the percentage of people who actively pull triggers, or direct others to pull triggers in pretty small. The vast majority of our armed forces are dedicated to maintenance, and vigilance.

I respect them because they signed up, willing to put themselves at great personal risk to protect the United States. Yes, there are corrupt politicians and corporations who manipulate things, and yes sometimes our armed forces do the dirty work of these corrupt officials. Even so, I respect the PERSON for the courage to say "I'm willing to die for my country. I want to protect it." even if the system is corrupt right now. And before you ask, yes. I afford that same respect to Police Officers, Firefighters, and even to Health Care workers. They have thrown away their own person safety, or in the case of health care workers (especially doctors), a significant fraction of their lifespan to learn how to save lives.

I got a ticket last week during a brief moment of inattention. You what I said to that Officer? "Thank you for keeping us all safe.", took my citation, and went home.

It's my own personal decision to respect these people. I don't do it out of 'indoctrination' or some societal pressure, I do it because I never had the courage to make that same decision. I am too much of coward to want to die for my country and I will freely admit that, so those that DO have that courage are, in my mind, deserving.

Thank you to every Soldier, Cop, Firefighter, and Doctor. Without you, our lives would pretty much suck.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
All arguments regarding respect aside,
it seems this was personal. Maybe the flight attendant comes from an anti-American culture, and views a soldier as an agent of American Imperialism?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: alexball
All arguments regarding respect aside,
it seems this was personal. Maybe the flight attendant comes from an anti-American culture, and views a soldier as an agent of American Imperialism?

Most likely tired, grumpy, and just wanted to get the damned flight off the ground.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I agree with this. Being a flight attendant isn't an easy job. Not that I have personal experience, it just looks tough. When you're overtired and grumpy (keep in mind this was a red-eye flight) you tend to do things like that.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

That's the thing though. Our service people are not "protecting America" and they have not been for a very long time.

ETA: I don't know what you mean by "personal motive" perhaps you'd like to explain. My father and uncle were both members of the 82nd airborne btw
edit on 10/14/14 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I apologize if I interpreted your meaning wrong. I do not mean to offend.

I understand you feel that the armed forces aren't doing what they were originally intended to do. And to some extent, I wholeheartedly agree. Many of the conflicts we've been involved with in recent history aren't motivated by a desire to protect our own soil, but by an agenda orchestrated by those in power.

But I'll reiterate it's not the organization as whole that I respect, but the individual soldier who made the conscious decision that he wanted to protect me, and our country.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's seems a few of you are conflating two separate things, the Majority of the military members do NOT get to choose what conflicts they get to be in. The Government Does, ( ya know the people that YOU (!!!!) vote into office) So yes, lets blame the soldier for our inability to pick better Government Officials...

More than a few of you have said the military has not defended the USA (paraphrasing) in a "just" war since WW11.

That is not the fault of the US soldier, it's YOUR fault, YOU let these people run our government.

The Top made a request, and was denied. No harm, no foul. The Airline apologized, why does this offend so many???

Could it really be that you feel guilty letting our government get like this and it makes YOU uncomfortable????

Just an FYI about Doctors and Nurses and Firefighters. They get PAID 2-3-4 times more income than the average US soldier, yes they get other benefits, and also IED's, Missed birthdays and Christmas. Months away from home and Family.

Don't seem to see the same sacrifice from Doctors, Nurses and Firefighters, yes they have some danger in their jobs, but comparatively, not the same. Doctors, Nurses and Firefighters in general get to go home after the work day is done.

edit on 14-10-2014 by thedigirati because: spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
But I'll reiterate it's not the organization as whole that I respect, but the individual soldier who made the conscious decision that he wanted to protect me, and our country.
Many of my schoolmates joined up because they fell for the slick recruitment drive in our poor estate, had little qualifications, not many other options, and enjoyed fighting.
They are not all angels wanting to serve the country for altruistic reasons.

8 year old story, but still relevant here in the UK:
news.bbc.co.uk...

The army is targeting schools in some of the poorest areas of Wales to find new recruits, Plaid Cymru has claimed.
It said figures show regional variations in recruitment officers' visits and has asked the Welsh Assembly Government to ban them from schools. The party said the figures showed that schools in the most deprived areas were visited 50% more often than those in affluent areas and that there were big regional variations.
Schoolchildren in Swansea were visited more than 10 times on average during that period while children in the Vale of Glamorgan had no visits at all.

Perhaps it is different in the US, but I don't automatically have greater respect for someone who is in the armed forces...it all depends on their reasons for doing so, and blindly assuming they all joined up solely with a wish to protect 'the homeland' is naive at best.
edit on 3Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:08:03 -0500pm08102014f03pm10 by grainofsand because: Point clarification last paragraph

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

It is definitely against Army regs to wear your uniform for personal travel, only official travel.

Incorrect. When I was in AIT and was allowed to go home for the holidays, we HAD to wear our dress uniforms to and from post, thats is from the base, to the airport, on the plane and back. I would have been happier to wear my civvies. By this time, I was tired of green LOL

I dont thing going home on leave can be considered 'official' travel, do you?

edit on 10/14/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my previous post, I'm sorry.

I respect the soldier who joins BECAUSE he wants to protect this country, not because of recruitment shills, or thugs who just want a legal way to put a bullet in someone, or people with no options etc. Not every single soldier deserves respect, but those who genuinely join to protect me and my family, THAT I respect.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

At the cost of sounding insensitive, he could have bought a ticket in first class or found any other solution to not wrinkle his jacket.

That's a symptom of what is wrong with people. Really big deal to hang it there? Sad.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Would you say the same if it was a police officer, fireman, doctor, or a common joe making the same request? Somehow, I doubt it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join